Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHas prog lost its way?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
WeepingElf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2015 at 15:02
Originally posted by Skalla-Grim Skalla-Grim wrote:

70s prog has brought important innovations to the musical structures of rock music. After the 70s, it was popular to return to standard metres, standard harmonic structures and so on. But that was NOT innovation but restoration, a huge (and sad) step back. So if you want to be "truly progressive" today, in my opinion you can't ignore the innovations that prog brought in the 70s.

Sometimes I hear "true progress in rock nowadays is not made in prog rock". And I think when you ask where true progress is made, many music lovers will name bands who can add some strange noises to their rock music but can play only in 4/4.

Seconded.  70s prog was truly innovative and progressive (even if most of their innovations had already been done earlier in classical and avant-garde music), and opened up new horizons for rock music.  Most later subgenres of rock threw out the achievements of prog and returned to a more purist stance on rock.  It is true that prog after the mid-70s was mostly less progressive than that of the classic era, but they built on what the classics had achieved.  You couldn't have had Rush or Marillion without Yes, Genesis and Pink Floyd; you couldn't have had Dream Theater without Rush; etc.

I find it funny how the popular music press and TV shows sometimes hail bands as "exciting" or "innovative" who sound just the same as any other "alternative" rock band, and adhere to 3-minute songs, 4/4 metre and trivial lyrics.  Many of those "innovators" are praised for doing things that some prog band had already done in the 70s, and sometimes, as Skalla-Grim said, the "innovation" consists merely in adding some strange noises to run-of-the-mill rock music.

... brought to you by the Weeping Elf

"What does Elvish rock music sound like?" - "Yes."

miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2015 at 15:41
There's lots of great music out there. Go out and find it. Or not.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2015 at 16:03
Hi,

I think WE have lost our way a lot more than the music itself!

So, I guess, based on that logic we can't do ballads and songs anymore because the concept is so old and out of date that it is now too boring! No more baroque rock! No more romantic rock! No more cubistic rock! No more progressive rock! No more classical prog! ... might as well say goodbye music, if that's all we want out of it!

Party
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Wicket View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2015 at 16:17
Originally posted by WeepingElf WeepingElf wrote:

Originally posted by Skalla-Grim Skalla-Grim wrote:

70s prog has brought important innovations to the musical structures of rock music. After the 70s, it was popular to return to standard metres, standard harmonic structures and so on. But that was NOT innovation but restoration, a huge (and sad) step back. So if you want to be "truly progressive" today, in my opinion you can't ignore the innovations that prog brought in the 70s.

Sometimes I hear "true progress in rock nowadays is not made in prog rock". And I think when you ask where true progress is made, many music lovers will name bands who can add some strange noises to their rock music but can play only in 4/4.

Seconded.  70s prog was truly innovative and progressive (even if most of their innovations had already been done earlier in classical and avant-garde music), and opened up new horizons for rock music.  Most later subgenres of rock threw out the achievements of prog and returned to a more purist stance on rock.  It is true that prog after the mid-70s was mostly less progressive than that of the classic era, but they built on what the classics had achieved.  You couldn't have had Rush or Marillion without Yes, Genesis and Pink Floyd; you couldn't have had Dream Theater without Rush; etc.

I find it funny how the popular music press and TV shows sometimes hail bands as "exciting" or "innovative" who sound just the same as any other "alternative" rock band, and adhere to 3-minute songs, 4/4 metre and trivial lyrics.  Many of those "innovators" are praised for doing things that some prog band had already done in the 70s, and sometimes, as Skalla-Grim said, the "innovation" consists merely in adding some strange noises to run-of-the-mill rock music.

Extremely valid points, both, this really reminds me of the evolution of classical music. Ever since Gregorian chant in the Middle Ages, music started out in its simplest forms, simple 7 note scales on the white keys of the piano, and ever since then, composers slowly but surely added more dissonance over roughly 900 years, to the point where John Cage wrote a piece of music called 4'33 where the piano player sits on stage in absolute silence, and then walks off after 4 minutes and 33 seconds.

Progressive rock followed this trend for the most part in the 60's-70's. It was always the idea of "What's next? What's the next step in music? How radical can we get on the next album?" Before long, sound and accessibility mattered more than musical evolution, and once pop dominated the 80's, it was game over, mang, game over.

Now at this point, we can go completely off topic and discuss the state of music in general rather than prog, but to try and keep it on topic and simple, every musical trend is unique. It exists in its own state and time, and can never be duplicated. Bands like Glass Hammer (although a great group of guys) tend to be stuck in the past, in all honesty. Their music doesn't elevate or accelerate the genre or progress of the genre or the like. Getting a bit lost from the novelty of nostalgia is one thing, completely stuck in the past is entirely another.

(And thanks for the compliment, lazland, I get lost in this kind of stuff a lot lol)

Edited by Wicket - July 12 2015 at 16:20
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2015 at 17:40
Originally posted by SouthSideoftheSky SouthSideoftheSky wrote:

Prog lost its way around 1983 but regained it pretty quickly during the late 80's and 90's and is today almost as strong as it was in its heyday of the 70's!

You are right about 1983 but most PROG is garbage today. Pretty hard to find a good original band that would fit nicely into the 70s
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2015 at 17:54
perhaps the thread should be retitled...  Has prog fan lost his way. LOL Clap
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2015 at 18:08
Originally posted by Wicket Wicket wrote:

..... John Cage wrote a piece of music called 4'33 where the piano player sits on stage in absolute silence, and then walks off after 4 minutes and 33 seconds.

Confused LOL LOL

Oooh.. this man for sure is a huge fan of Mozart hahahhah hilarious man... Mozart said: "the music is not in the notes but in the silence between.", but John Cage went even further and not a single note played Cool

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB
Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2015 at 18:15
I tried, but no way man, really can't answer this question, why don't you go ask it to Phil Collins? Wink

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2015 at 18:42
Originally posted by GKR GKR wrote:

What annoys me is the "Comparison game". We are always comparing somthing with another thing.

Maybe thats the sickness of our time. We are always look behind.

This is about right.

Prog has evolved, like it should have. Listen to how progressive music is being interpreted today. There is a lot of unique talent out there. You just have to look. 

Edited by Horizons - July 12 2015 at 18:43
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2015 at 19:08
Originally posted by Wicket Wicket wrote:

...It all has to do with our innate need to categorize and describe things that ordinary people would find indescribable. ...
Are you saying we're mutants?
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2015 at 19:21
Prog didn't lose its way, it lost its audience.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2015 at 19:27
No.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2015 at 19:32
Having lived through the entire 70s prog era, I'd like to point out how competitive all of the bands and musicians were with each other!  

Bands like ELP, Yes, etc. strove to play faster, longer, to larger crowds and venues.  Part of this drive towards excess led to the famous criticisms of prog as "dinosaur music," exemplified by the TFTO tour.   The spectacle of Keith Emerson wrestling with his onstage organ, dagger in hand, was worth the price of admission!  

These days, prog acts are smaller, more regional, and struggling to find a musical path.  I think fusion is doing all right, but symphonic seems lost.  Glass Hammer do some excellent work, I don't find them to be a Yes clone.  

Modern prog does not seem to have a fraction of the following that the 70s acts had, those concerts (CTTE, Relayer, BSS, TAAB etc.) were pretty amazing events!  The best modern equivalent seems to be the techno-jam events that are held.  If some blazing musicians were to join forces with the DJ's art, we might see some new interest.  

You may not like this, but it certainly has power!  Prog must change and adapt. 

Edited by cstack3 - July 12 2015 at 19:43
san0648 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2015 at 19:55
Prog is very alive, it just doesn't look, sound or smell like the prog of the 70's, which is a good thing. Because if it didn't, then it wouldn't be alive at all.

Edited by san0648 - July 12 2015 at 19:57
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2015 at 20:03
Originally posted by Disparate Times Disparate Times wrote:

The best part of 70's prog bands was that they were all very different from each other and everyone else. Unfortunately it seems that all that ingenuity all these years later have only helped to create guidelines for what progressive music is allowed to be. With bands like Glass Hammer sounding more like a tribute band than an original band. To me that isn't progressive at all. Perhaps they are more interested in selling records than pushing the boundaries of music. I understand that after all that has come to pass it is more difficult now-a-days to create something "brand new" and still be interesting, but the lack of effort to even try, to me, is a very disappointing thing in all of music especially prog.
 I do enjoy what Jack O The Clock is doing, I just hope that all the attention from the prog community doesn't corrupt them too.
I'll explain it all. I've posted this before and no one's signed onto the idea yet, but that's alright. The key word is ingenuity. Prog emerged just as a lot of new music making devices came out. All of the sudden even non-virtuosos who nevertheless genuinely creative (e.g. Pink Floyd) had a means to be creative. And people who were virtuosos had just that extra dimension added. Effects pedals and synthesizers allowed people with ingenuity to do genuinely new things. It was not simply about the devices themselves, players' imaginations were stimulated to play in new ways to exploit something about a volume pedal, or whatever. There was a certain amount of effort to seeing what various combinations of effects could do. There was a certain amount of effort in playing around with all the patch cables involved with a modular synthesizer. Some of the older technology, like mellotrons, that grew in popularity at that time also required effort to maintain (because they broke down and such) or procure new novel samples and so on. Then synthesizers got user friendly, no longer modular and armed with factory presets. This is when Prog took a downturn. Factory presets made things easier out of the box, but sapped away a lot of motivation for musicians once had in taking pride in their own unique timbres. I believe this extends to a broader climate as well. If a band is interested in experimenting in one fashion, with sounds, it will not just stop with that. Today we have an embarrassment of technology at our disposal, but the propagation of factory presets continues. Companies like Electro Harmonix, Roland, Pigtronix, Digitech and so on have been way more innovative than Prog musicians, I'm afraid.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2015 at 20:27
Originally posted by san0648 san0648 wrote:

Prog is very alive, it just doesn't look, sound or smell like the prog of the 70's, which is a good thing. Because if it didn't, then it wouldn't be alive at all.

Yeah, but it takes cash to buy all of the stuff you need to play & record that music.  Prog just seems to be hanging on to me.  
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2015 at 20:35
as people have been saying for years... prog is barely hanging on.. it is dying. 

In its place though is a very vibrant and creative progressive rock scene... prog fan either ignores it for it doesn't SOUND like prog rock.. or they just don't care. The bands themselves.. they could care less. They don't condsider  themselves prog.. and are out there right now playing to music fans.. not prog fans.  Face it.. the only people that really care about .. prog rock.. are a couple of hundred Prog Rock forumites.. the rest of the musical world.. is just digging great music. No matter what people call it.

let me again.. dig out this .. from a prog musician posted after prog fan stopped supporting the scene and led to the cancellation of Nearfest

I'm just going to chime in on the original post, dunno what's been discussed over all these pages.
I whole-heartedly applaud every prog festival organizer who has ever walked the earth for their amazing contribution to the entire prog revival. Without people like Rob and Chad and Greg and Steve and George and the rest, a lot of us in prog bands would simply be nowhere. Progfest and NEARfest in particular have been essential to the growth of Scandinavian prog in the 90's and noughties.

It just seems that the time has come now for prog to find a new way. The festivals have become, as was mentioned, nostalgia get-togethers. They have been artificial life-lines for stagnant acts, rather than fertile grounds for new, exciting acts. And those organizers who have tried to feature some new blood have been punished by a rather backwards-looking audience. As with NEARfest this year. I don't think blaming either the audience, the organizers or the bands has any virtue. What I think, is that the prog umbrella for too long has tried to shelter two very different things under its shade: On the one hand, the nostalgia scene, which features both the old acts that are still around, like Yes and whatever Italian band you care to mention, and "old-new" bands like Flower Kings and Transatlantic - bands that, though newish, cater mostly to very conservative audiences. On the other hand, the new progressive scene, which could include anything from The Mars Volta to Gösta Berlings Saga, and which really isn't a scene at all, especially considering that many of the bands themselves have no awareness of being part of a "prog scene". These two strands really are extremely different. There's plenty of people with a love for both (including, to a certain extent, myself). But to throw the typical fans of both scenes (the former, ageing, follicle-challenged geezers - bless'em all!, the latter young, dynamic listeners brought up to endless eclecticism and irreverence to genres - bless them too!), might just be too much of a stretch. Maybe it's time for a divorce. Let the geezers have their nostalgia-fests, and let the "new prog" bands get out on the regular rock circuit and compete with any other rock genres out there rather than put them in the geriatric ward of "prog" where the smell of old age will make them unpalatable to both the rock media and the major labels. No disrespect to either!!! :-)

And as an a propos: Prog labels that sign new, fresh and exciting bands should be careful how they market and present the bands. Selling them in the traditional way ("washes of mellotrons, recall Eloy in their heyday, rave reception at Bolivia Art Rock Fest (BARF)") will, quite simply, sell them short. It's a new world out there.

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
san0648 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2015 at 20:45
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Originally posted by san0648 san0648 wrote:

Yeah, but it takes cash to buy all of the stuff you need to play & record that music.  Prog just seems to be hanging on to me.  

Actually, with the recent move to self-recording, social media sites such as facebook, youtube, soundcloud, it seems to me more musicians are able to get their music out there. Example, the band Periphery. their founder/guitarists literally just posted some riffs and song ideas on a forum long ago and now its grown into a band due to social media's involvement with available listeners.

I think, all in all, we have a more "fast food" culture than ever and looking at an album with 6 songs on it but still filling the disc doesn't appeal to them. And people still look to music to be relative to them. Country artists may same-y but they sing about what just about the entire population experiences. Its not deep, its not complex, but its relevant.

And looking at the post above me, it seems my thoughts are shared as well.

theres a lot of prog out there, its just not called or discussed as prog. If the geezers still hanging around in the 70's prog music would quit baying about "it just isnt the same" i think the question would be moot.

Look at Opeth, prog band, and up until recently, sound nothing like 70's prog. 
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2015 at 23:20
Prog 1968-natural invention of music with busy, catchy melody coming from jazz, rock influences
Prog disappears as Pop, Hard rock and Metal invade. Music becomes fashion because the quality has gone
Prog 1988-melody has gone, the fashion music are major influences but apparently it's prog to invent styles of music

Answer: No it's not prog to invent. A form of music can't progress. Only songs can progress

Edited by dr prog - July 12 2015 at 23:23
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2015 at 23:32
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Never knew that prog had a 'way'.
LOL Thumbs Up Clap

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>