Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPineapple Thief videos

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pineapple Thief videos
    Posted: July 15 2015 at 09:33
Hey, 

Noob here! 2 months ago I heard about a band called Pineapple Thief and I can't believe I've never heard of them. I edited some old movies to their music for fun over the weekend and their music really works well, I can't believe they're not a big band. Started at the beginning with Abducting the Unicorn then Variations on a Dream, lots of good stuff. Has everyone else heard of them, how did I miss them?

Here are the videos if anyone wants to watch:

p.s hopefully this is the right place to put this?
SquonkHunter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2015 at 22:49
I've been a fan of theirs for the last couple of years or so. Really like their sound.
"You never had the things you thought you should have had and you'll not get them now..."
Gentle Yes View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2015 at 05:04
Something between Pink Floyd and radiohead... can't say I'n a big fan of this kind of music.. but it ain't bad at all . The videos are verry well done too!
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2015 at 06:10
Originally posted by Jonksson Jonksson wrote:

Hey, 

Noob here! 2 months ago I heard about a band called Pineapple Thief and I can't believe I've never heard of them. I edited some old movies to their music for fun over the weekend and their music really works well, I can't believe they're not a big band. Started at the beginning with Abducting the Unicorn then Variations on a Dream, lots of good stuff. Has everyone else heard of them, how did I miss them?

Here are the videos if anyone wants to watch:

p.s hopefully this is the right place to put this?

Nice vidsSmile
Regarding the part of your post I highlighted: I think Pineapple Thief sounds way too much like Porcupine Tree - I mean even the name sounds oddly similar. They're both abbreviated the same wayTongue
Same droopy and rainy day atmospheres, melancholic lyrics, Gilmour like guitar solos and those oozing synth scapes in the back. Now I adore Porcupine Tree, but if I want something in the same vein I'll pop on the original ie Pink Floyd. 
That being said, I still have a thing for the title track on What We Have Sown (even if it again sounds uncannily like Porcupine TreeTongue).

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2015 at 06:53
I have a few of their albums. I've never picked up on any Floydian vibe to be honest.
Undeniably owes a lot to Radiohead (clever, Alt-Rock with an experimental twist) and Porcupine Tree (the Prog aspects - 'heavier', melancholic, and involved, longer cuts) maybe even a touch of The Verve's Psychy Alt-Pop.
My pick from the 3 I have - Little Man, Tightly Unwound and All The Wars, is Tightly Unwound.
The samples I've heard of Magnolia haven't prompted me to get the vinyl.
Really up-to-date 'modern' X-over.
 Post Reply Post Reply