Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWar Child: Jethro Tull

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: War Child: Jethro Tull
    Posted: July 15 2015 at 18:00
I was not a big fan of APP Shocked, or this follow up. What's your opinion of JT's War Child from 1974?

Edited by SteveG - July 15 2015 at 18:02
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2015 at 18:59
Weak album but strangely full of awesome music.
- From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.
justin4950834-2 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2015 at 19:00
its Ok, like I mentioned in the last post, its better then Too Old.
I like these threads keep em goin.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2015 at 19:54
Other than the odd mix, it is a solid little album full of neat ideas.  You can hear, though, a real concept alum in there that was cut away in a effort to streamline.   But stuff like 'Sealion' is first-rate heavy prog.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2015 at 19:57
Interesting you've said that, Atavachron! I always had the same idea. The war noises, the talking "tea's ready".

Anyone buyed the WarChild boxset? There is somthing about that? I mean, besides the infamous movie project that never was.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2015 at 20:51
"The Third Hurrah" was one of my first intros to FM radio and I quite liked it.  So I have a soft spot for this album

Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2015 at 01:10
Didn't care for the vinyl (got rid of it fairly quickly back then), and I only bought it in CD once the remastered filled with bonus tracks appeared, as I was hoping that the extra-tracks would help me understand what Tull was trying to do with that multimedia project. But this version didn't help either, and TBH, neither did the Chateau D'Isaster Tapes

I kind of wish they'd release whatever film was shot (if any at all) to help understand this project...

alas, just like Townsend/The Who's Lifehouse project of that same year (+/-), it was not to be. However Who's Next is so much better than War Child

GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2015 at 05:58
The Chateau D'Isaster Tapes ave absolutely nothing to do with War Child... in concept meanings. I didnt get your point. Confused
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2015 at 06:34
Several gems on both discs. Would have been better if they made a double album or a single album with a movie production. Would have been a different album I think

Edited by dr prog - July 16 2015 at 06:34
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2015 at 10:27
Originally posted by GKR GKR wrote:

The Chateau D'Isaster Tapes ave absolutely nothing to do with War Child... in concept meanings. I didnt get your point. Confused

From what I remember, the D'Istater thing and the War child (project than the remaining album) are not only consecutive, but linked aren't they? Both from 73 (the latter release in 74)

Kirillov View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2015 at 10:33
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

I was not a big fan of APP Shocked, or this follow up. What's your opinion of JT's War Child from 1974?

Not really a fan of either anymore. I used to quite like APP, but it has really palled for me in recent times. I like 'Skating Away' but that's about it from WC.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2015 at 16:26
A very interesting album.....with 2 excellent songs, imho,  in Skating Away (one of my all time favorites) and Bungle ...though I have to say I like all the others as well.

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2015 at 10:30
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

From what I remember, the D'Istater thing and the War child (project than the remaining album) are not only consecutive, but linked aren't they? Both from 73 (the latter release in 74)

Yes, D'Iastater was the ill-fated first try at War Child material that didn't come off well for reasons that are unknown to me. It is considered a work of genius in France.
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2015 at 10:40
NOPE!

Guys, Chateau Disaster tapes became APP! Only two songs were used in War Child (Only Solitaire and Skating Away).

War Child concept may try to get some things of life and death and stuff, but I need to read the movie script Anderson did, I still hasnt bought the 2014 box.
aglasshouse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2015 at 11:01
Never taken a listen honestly. I was under the impression that it was an album held in bad taste by most people.
http://fryingpanmedia.com
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2015 at 11:19

Yes, D'Iastater was the ill-fated first try at War Child material that didn't come off well for reasons that are unknown to me. It is considered a work of genius in France.

The Chateau D'Isaster sessions were the first try of A Passion Play, not War Child. As GKR notes, "Only Solitaire" and "Skating Away" were not released on A Passion Play and so ended up on War Child (although with the Steven Wilson remix of APP, they both appear on their rightful album). Another song from War Child, "Two Fingers" was a rework of a song called "Lick Your Fingers Clean" written during the Aqualung sessions.

War Child was released in a rush when the original movie/play concept was abandoned, and thus was very disjointed and incomplete, so various songs from different sessions were thrown together. Tull's next release Minstrel in the Gallery is far better and more consistent.

Edited by The Dark Elf - July 17 2015 at 11:20
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2015 at 11:56
^^ Aye.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2015 at 13:45
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

The Chateau D'Isaster sessions were the first try of A Passion Play, not War Child. As GKR notes, "Only Solitaire" and "Skating Away" were not released on A Passion Play and so ended up on War Child (although with the Steven Wilson remix of APP, they both appear on their rightful album). Another song from War Child, "Two Fingers" was a rework of a song called "Lick Your Fingers Clean" written during the Aqualung sessions.

War Child was released in a rush when the original movie/play concept was abandoned, and thus was very disjointed and incomplete, so various songs from different sessions were thrown together. Tull's next release Minstrel in the Gallery is far better and more consistent.
Just an over site on my part, guys. I had the bootleg copy of the D'Isaster tapes 25 years ago and I know it contained both ill-fated material from APP and WC. Old age is a bitch, sometimes.
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2015 at 16:52
Some great tracks:

Good godmother
Glory row
Saturation
Warchild
Queen and country
Skating away
Solitaire
Paradise steakhouse
March the mad scientist
Rainbow blues

Edited by dr prog - July 17 2015 at 16:53
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2015 at 17:06
RAINBOW BLUES!

Great track. Of the bonus tracks of that era, together with Goog Godmother and Tomorrow was today shows a great Tull.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>