Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThick as a Brick: Jethro Tull

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thick as a Brick: Jethro Tull
    Posted: July 15 2015 at 18:21
It's the greatest prog album ever made and it was supposed to be a joke. I doubt that it was really meant to be a joke. It beats CTTE by a mile, IMHO. What's yours?
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2015 at 18:34
mine.. no surprise... it isn't even close to the greatest prog album ever made... pfffff..  the joke was on.. and Tull fans ate it hook line and sinker...

besides it is and only the 4th best Tull album and the last truly good album start to finish they made.

overrated album.. and group who died after Bunker left.. replaced by more of Anderson's cronies...

part of the greatest display of Prog ego since Waters took over Floyd. At least Waters had a real vision and talent Hah..
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2015 at 18:39
^micky, I don't mind stirring the pot to get a reaction, but Bunker over Barlow? C'mon. And Cornick over Hammond? double c'mon. ha ha
justin4950834-2 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2015 at 18:46
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

mine.. no surprise... it isn't even close to the greatest prog album ever made... pfffff..  the joke was on.. and Tull fans ate it hook line and sinker...

besides it is and only the 4th best Tull album and the last truly good album start to finish they made.

overrated album.. and group who died after Bunker left.. replaced by more of Anderson's cronies...

part of the greatest display of Prog ego since Waters took over Floyd. At least Waters had a real vision and talent Hah..

hey man I'm not saying its a bad thing, your probably a step above most of us, but your very picky when it comes to music huh? I'm curious though what are your other 3 favorite Tull albums.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2015 at 18:50
easy..

Benefit
Aqualung
Stand Up

that was Tull and was frickin killer Clap.. before the curse of arty pretension inflected the group and Anderson felt like he had to match wits with intellects and musical talents.. far vaster than his own.

Tull overreached IMO.. some bands are great at what they do and should stick to it.. I sure as hell am glad Jefferson Airplane knew what they did and did it better than anyone..and didn't turn to being serious and arty... that was Tull until Anderson's ego took over... simple as that in my music world view.

Edited by micky - July 15 2015 at 18:52
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2015 at 18:51
Far, far from the greatest prog album ever made, though I would say one of the greatest rock albums.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2015 at 18:52

Ok, so... it has begun.

I'am a great fan of Jethro Tull overall. That kind of guy who give 5 stars to both Benefit, A Passion Play AND Minstrel in the Gallery.

Ian Anderson is a literary genius. He (and Evans and Hammond!) knew exactly what they were doing. And the joke is in YOU if you dont recognize that.

The great things about concepts is the LEVELS of concept. And TAAB has! Firts, the false news and Gerald Bostock. Then the fact that that lyrics could have been a critic from a smart boy to society - AND THEN you have to think: hey, in fact that lyrics, inside so many jokes, have a meaning.

So... is TAAB a masterpiece? Absolutely. Did it beat Close to the Edge? Its a knock out.

-drop the mic and walk away-
- From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2015 at 01:38
I can agree partly with Micky's PoV, but this album is an utter provocation piece, absolutely well thought-out, even down to the details of the St Cleve's Chronicle's classified adds, which go answering each other.

Extremely thoughtfull lyrics , hilarious package, outstanding musicianship, imaginative songwriting, nothing is missing in this one

Yes, I can regret that none of the original Tull remains by this point (Anderson excepted of course).
I loved Cornick and Bunker's respective playing, and TBH, the much-awaited Jeffrey (three songs dedicated to him) and Barlow - however good they are - don't bring anything more than their predecessors

Skalla-Grim View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2015 at 02:50
The problem about Thick and a Brick is that there is a great beginning (about 11 or 12 minutes), which belong to the best in prog, and after that there are too many repetitions. Probably as a non-native speaker I don't get every detail of the lyrics, but I'm talking about the music. The second part is boring sometimes. So in total it doesn't stand a chance against Close to the Edge (strange comparison anyway) and it is also not the best Tull album in my opinion. I like A Passion Play, Songs from the Wood and also Heavy Horses better than Brick. 
PrognosticMind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2015 at 04:48

I won't be as blunt as you here, but I totally agree. I still don't understand how this album is rated so highly. It's a fun listen, but just because it's long doesn't mean it's good (for me, anyway). There are lots of repetitions that make it feel padded a bit. I'm always amazed that people don't like Yes Tales, but praise this album. To each his own!

Originally posted by Skalla-Grim Skalla-Grim wrote:

The problem about Thick and a Brick is that there is a great beginning (about 11 or 12 minutes), which belong to the best in prog, and after that there are too many repetitions. Probably as a non-native speaker I don't get every detail of the lyrics, but I'm talking about the music. The second part is boring sometimes. So in total it doesn't stand a chance against Close to the Edge (strange comparison anyway) and it is also not the best Tull album in my opinion. I like A Passion Play, Songs from the Wood and also Heavy Horses better than Brick. 

Again, I agree completely with this. I still enjoy the record, but it's one of the few (if only) prog albums that for me doesn't make any sense as to why it's held in such high regard. It's got nothing on Close to The Edge, or even Relayer, IMHO.
"A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous. Got me?"
Kirillov View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2015 at 05:06
I enjoy the album, the package is great (although reading the St Cleve Chronicle on the Japanese CD reproduction hurts my eyes!) but IMHO Tull did their best work before TAAB. Benefit is the one for me, always has been.
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2015 at 05:55
Dont understand you guys with the problem with repetition, in the sense that repetition is part of musical development... and its not random repetition is well though and crafted repetition.

Please, explain that.
Skalla-Grim View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2015 at 07:12
It depends on the listener whether it works or not. You have to feel that development. Simply being told that there is a development won't help. Maybe if we were discussing Close to the Edge, there would be some parts that make sense to me, but not to you.

By the way, I think that the well-known statement that the album was conceived as "a joke" about prog rock should not been taken too seriously, considering the effort to create it.

Edited by Skalla-Grim - July 16 2015 at 07:24
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2015 at 07:38
"Simply being told that there is a development won't help."- thats why I asked to explain. :P

For me its so obvious, almost take for granted... :/
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2015 at 16:23
Well...for me it's certainly not the greatest prog album ever made.....hard to say what that is with so many brilliant ones out there,  but it is a very good album.
I have a little trouble with only 2 side long songs...would rather hear 4 long ones that are interconnected thematically , but that's my personal take on it.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2015 at 16:58
Originally posted by PrognosticMind PrognosticMind wrote:

I won't be as blunt as you here, but I totally agree. I still don't understand how this album is rated so highly. It's a fun listen, but just because it's long doesn't mean it's good (for me, anyway). There are lots of repetitions that make it feel padded a bit. I'm always amazed that people don't like Yes Tales, but praise this album. To each his own!

Again, I agree completely with this. I still enjoy the record, but it's one of the few (if only) prog albums that for me doesn't make any sense as to why it's held in such high regard. It's got nothing on Close to The Edge, or even Relayer, IMHO.
Perhaps it's because I'm a folk rock fan at heart, and TAAB connects with me the way CTTE or Relayer never can. There's always more to people's musical tastes that meets the eye or ear.
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2015 at 18:06
Side 1 the best piece of rock music ever made. Tull made a minimum of 30 really strong minutes of music every year from 1970-82 except 1975 and 76. Although Too old remix may change my decision on 76
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2015 at 19:12
A fabulous album - not without its undulations, but Side 1 is sublime and even after a slight lull at the start of Side 2, it picks up superbly. Recurring themes, wonderful lyrics, great keyboards, so many tunes! The time just flows... Tull might have done better individual songs, but as an album concept, no competition! A Passion Play paled in comparison, sadly. Too much post-irony from Ian Anderson on this one when explaining it. Maybe out-doing other prog bands at the time was in the back of his mind, but the music is too complex and structured to have just been a throwaway joke. It suited Ian to resurrect the idea in TATB2 when the UK music climate suited. I do get annoyed when creative artists belittled prog during the 'dark days' and then have embrace it of late as the demographics work in their favour - but I mustn't be cynical!!! Unfair to compare it to other classic prog albums. It is up there in its own right. I dare anyone not to be tapping their hands or legs during most of Side 1 at least - it's just so bloody melodic! Thumbs Up  
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
PrognosticMind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2015 at 20:58
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Originally posted by PrognosticMind PrognosticMind wrote:

Perhaps it's because I'm a folk rock fan at heart, and TAAB connects with me the way CTTE or Relayer never can. There's always more to people's musical tastes that meets the eye or ear.

That is a very valid and reasonable assertion. I'm more of the traditional symphonic prog junkie, and some of the folk stuff just doesn't do it for me. What's amazing is the appreciation for the diversity of progressive music as a whole.
"A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous. Got me?"
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2015 at 06:35
Number 9
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>