Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLooking for new music.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looking for new music.
    Posted: July 17 2015 at 17:52
Hello folks, I've been submerging myself in classic Yes and Rush albums. I've long enjoyed both bands at a surface level, but never quite dove waaaay into thier material. Now that I have, I am looking to continue this currently unforgiving addiction. I like a lot of Prog (from Wilson to Sleepytime Gorilla Museum), but am especially feeling the whole Yes/Rush aesthetic at this current moment, and want to expand my library with similarly crafted music.

As for Yes, specifically, every album between The Yes Album and Relayer (excepting Tales, but only cause I havent given this one a full, conscious listen yet) is, to my tastes, exceptional. GFTO appeals to me in places , like the title track and Awaken, but overall doesn't speak to me on the same level as albums like Fragile, Relayer, and CTTE. Relayer especially appeals to me, as I'm really into dissonant structures like in Soundchaser and the battle scene in Gates. I also love complex time signatures and meter changes, which this entire era of Yes material is chock full of. I've also really been enjoying every single track from The Yes Album, every composition is so tastefully done, yet completely engrossing and complex. What I love about Yes, overall, is that unequivocal, ethereal quality to them. Anderson's vocals are a big part of this for me, and the way he inflects his words, and the creamy, youthfull tones in his voice really come through to me. The keys are another factor, however I'm not so much interested in the super fast scale runs and solo'ing as I am in just general melodys and riffs, again like in the decending synth lines in the final moments leading up to the transition into Soon from the battle scene, or the synth lines throughout Fragile. The band as a whole is totally otherworldly and I love it.

Rush have an equally as magnetic appeal to me, but for different reasons. Hemispheres is my very favorite album, followed closely by 2112, Farewell to Kings, Moving Pictures, and Caress of Steel. I love the lyricism from Peart that Rush come though with, especially in conjunction with their longer, epic composures like 2112 and Hemispheres themselves. I also adore Geddy's singing during this era, it was so vibrant and soulfelt. The basswork is excellent as well, myself being a bassist predisposes me towards bass virtuosity (as well it does in Yes' case. RIP Chris). 

Both bands, for the most part, lose me from there. Yes take a dive into the new wave and i just cant follow them, it's too poppy and sing-songy. Rush pretty much leave the same taste in my mouth, excepting for tracks here and there from albums like Signals and Hold Your Fire, and their less synth pop oriented material ends up sounding neutered and bland to me in comparison to their masterworks. I'm not saying I ever expect bands to repeat albums or keep writting the same type of material, I'm just wanting other band's takes on this same kind of sound.

So basically, if anyone can recommend to me any bands or projects that resemble the motifs and stylings that I've specified that i really enjoy within Yes' and Rush's material, I would be forever appreciative. It can be music from way back in Prog's heyday, or it can be a current band, or anything in between. Whatever you think would reach my ears. Getting into new music is such a joy for me and I'm rather excited to see what comes up from the dredges. Thanks for your time.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2015 at 21:51
I guess you might just as well go with the big names and check them out, in case you haven't done so yet. And check out the top 100 list. I would think you should check out King Crimson (the debut is excellent, Lizard has Anderson as guest on one track, Larks Toungues in Aspic has some disonant structure that might appeal to you if you liked such things on Relayer, and Red is also a fan favourite from the band... also, some of the live albums from the Wetton era are great too), ELP (though they may be a bit patchy... at least for my taste, but they usually have some really good things on every album at least until Brain Salad Surgery... however, a warning, Emerson is mostly flashy and seldom subtle), Van Der Graaf Generator (many people have trouble getting into Hamill's vocals, but I just find them wonderful), and from Italian bands, Banco del Mutuo Soccorso is wonderful (Francesco Di Giancommo is among my very favourite singers, along with Jon Anderson), and you may just as well try Metamorphosis' "Inferno" (also wonerful singer), and Il Balleto di Bronzo's "YS" (the singer may appeal to you in a Rush-like way). Oh yeah, and I'm not sure if your descriptions of what you liked would sugest you would like Genesis and Jethro Tull, but since they are among the bigest names around, you should check them out too.
randomguy_90 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2015 at 22:52
Hello Dellinger! Thanks for the response. Ive actually gone through most of those bands before, some ive liked and some i havent. Particularly, i do enjoy King Crimson and some Genesis/Tull. I'm giving the rest time to grow on me - i had to do the same before i came to appreciate Yes as well. I've never heard of the Italian bands though, I'll give them a listen. I've always heard good tons in regards to van Der Graf, but i don't know what to expect. I'll check them out too. Thank you so much for the response.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2015 at 22:19
With VDGG expect the unexpected. Hamill is a monster. And even though they hardly ever use a guitar, they can be heavy indeed (not in a metal way, though), thanks to Hamills excentrics with vocals and to David Jackson's great sax. Actually, I was worried about what I might get with them, because usually I'm not a fan of sax, specially schizophrenic sax, but the way this guy handles his instrument is really brilliant. Still, it took me a bit to fully apreciate them... at first listens I thought I might finally have gone too far on my search for prog bands.
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2015 at 23:24
These archives are an outstanding resource - well done PA!, just find your niche, do a little research, and you'll have literally dozens of bands and hundreds of titles.....word of warning, prog does put a dent in the paycheck.

That said, sounds like you need of dose of Crimson's Red album.  From there, doors open.
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2015 at 11:42
Thanks for the responses guys! I've given Crimson's Red a listen and it's very up my alley, I'll be spinning this for a bit. I've also been trying to delve into some Gentle Giant - the dissonance and quirky compositions speak to me, but the sometimes mideaval/madrigal compositions lose me, it just feels kinda cheese to me, but i expect that ill grow to overlook that. 

I was perusing some of those Italian bands you linked and somehow ended up at Goblin's self titled. I REALLY dug that, very groovy and strange. I'm gonna actually give the bands you listed a try though now, lol. Youtube can be so easy to lose yourself in when you're going music spelunking.

As far as VDGG, are there any good places to start that you would reccomend, Dellinger? They're very dense sounding and I could use a launching point that wont end up drowing me before i can get my sea legs.
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2015 at 11:58
For VDGG start out with Godbluff. 

Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2015 at 12:16
Not sure if they would appeal, but I'd recommend Fates Warning's Perfect Symmetry, Parallels, and Inside Out and Tiles' Presents of Mind.  Rush's producer Terry Brown produced these albums (not sure if he did all 3 Fates Warning albums, but I know that he was their producer during this time frame). 

Edited by rushfan4 - July 20 2015 at 12:16
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2015 at 12:20
As I see you're from Maryland, I hope you will plan a visit to Baltimore's Orion Studios after the summer break. Great place to catch the finest modern bands from the US and elsewhere!
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2015 at 13:42
Alrighty, so I've listened to VDGG's Godbluff and the '72 live version of Lighthouse Keepers. Very weird stuff right here, even for prog standards (at least ime). Godbluff got a little wall-of-noise-y on me in parts where everyone would just unleash all hell on their instruments. I really like their energy though, especially on that live video. I think this is something that I could come around on. Hammill's vocals are definitely polarizing, not something I'm immediately sold on. Gonna give their 2nd and 3rd albums a go now, they seem to be their "classic peak"? At least that's what Wikipedia said, lol. 

I think I'm begining to really enjoy GG. Just got through The Power and the Glory, and it was beautiful and eccentric. They have such a weird, almost hollow sound though, at least in parts - not sure how to explain it. There's just a lot of space in the mix between all of the instruments/voices, and it imparts a particular sound to them that I'm still finding my way through (as opposed to Yes, who are ridiculously dense).

I see a lot of people talk about Fate's Warning around this site, so I'll check them out too. Can't say I've heard of Tile's but I'll add them to my list - thanks for the reccomendations!

Raff - are you saying this studio just allows walk ins? That'd be quite awesome to be able to just drop into the studio and see what was going on at that time. I'm a good hour and a half outside of Bmore though, so I'm not in the city very much. Is this something that you've done before yourself? Very intriguing.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2015 at 14:02
Originally posted by randomguy_90 randomguy_90 wrote:

Raff - are you saying this studio just allows walk ins? That'd be quite awesome to be able to just drop into the studio and see what was going on at that time. I'm a good hour and a half outside of Bmore though, so I'm not in the city very much. Is this something that you've done before yourself? Very intriguing.

No, the Orion is also a concert space, and several live albums have been recorded there. Last November it celebrated its 20th anniversary, which was a wonderful half-day of music, food and friendship. Anyway, for further details, here's its website (though it hasn't been updated in a while): http://www.orionsound.com/
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2015 at 15:47
There are tons of Rush and Yes habitués out there, shouldn't be hard.   But frankly one of the reasons we love them is they were one-of-a-kinds, and the sound-alikes usually pale.   For instance I would not recommend Tiles (a Rush emulator) because they don't bring much new to the table.   Nor would I ever suggest King Crimson or VDGG to you.   Wrong, wrong, wrong.  Maybe someday, but not now.

Take a listen to Zombi, a heavy prog/electronic two-piece doing great things -
http://www.progarchives.com/mp3.asp?id=1647

Edited by Atavachron - July 21 2015 at 01:48
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2015 at 00:57
For GG if you'd like to "acquire the taste" then I recommend that you listen to Acquiring the Taste.
Clap
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
terramystic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2015 at 10:22
Yes qualitiies:
Glass Hammer - If
Wobbler
Starcastle
(if you don't mind total Yes imitation)

Like Rush:
Pavlov's Dog (the singer sounds like early Geddy Lee)

What I like about RUSH is that their music was heavy but at the same time full of hope and positive energy. Only few prog metal bands give me that feel: Angra (when Matos was in the band) and Shadow Gallery.

Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2015 at 22:11
Hey guys, thanks again for all the suggestions! I've been enjoying most of it. Now I'm looking for something in the vein of Sleepytime Gorilla Museum. Other than the predecessors to that band, im not sure what else to go for. I like active music for the most part, atmospheres and the like can be cool in context.

Also, I've been getting into Hatfield and the North, Caravans Pink Grey album, and Egg. Any other bands like these, from the Canterbury scene or otherwise?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2015 at 22:38
If you're digging SGM: look into Unexpect  http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=2638
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2015 at 23:05
Nektar
Disparate Times View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2015 at 00:07
The book of knots
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2015 at 00:19
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2015 at 22:29
OK, if you haven't gotten into it yet, check out from VDGG the songs Darkness and Mar-Erg too, as well as the studio version of Lighthouse Keepers. Now, it might interest you to know that some of those cacophony segments they did they achieved by overdubbing their instruments countless times, so that makes it more chaotic than they could actually achieve playing them live (you'll get a few moments of that with Man-Erg and Lighthouse Keepers).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>