Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedOrenda (France)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Orenda (France)
    Posted: July 19 2015 at 11:27

Tracklist: ACT I: Rise And Fall - “Nice To Meet You” (2:18), From The Ashes: Chapter One, Chapter Two (8:34), Angel’ Salvation (5:00), ACT II: Among All Things - The Trial (8:43), Passion And Loneliness (13:09), Lost (6:12), ACT III :Back To Death - Night (10:00), Redemption (15:36), “I’m Back” (7:35)

Orenda, are you a speeding ticket? Because baby, you’ve got fine all over you. Okay, I know, another lame pick-up line. But seriously, folks, A Tale Of A Tortured Soul, the debut concept release from this French progressive metal band, ranks up there in my top ten of favorite stuff I’ve reviewed since joining DPRP last year, and I don’t normally go for progressive metal. This is math-metal with generous symphonic touches throughout its nine tracks, which are chained together across the CD to form one 77-minute cinematic piece.

Judging by the lyrics, the CD’s concept is centered on the theme of life, death, and redemption. The lyrics are written in an opera libretto format and points of view are expressed by four different actors or personas: “Mem’ocho”, “The Earth”, “The Angels”, and “God”. Similar to Arjen Lucassen’s Ayreon project, but with much better vocals.

Although A Tale Of A Tortured Soul is the band’s debut, they have actually been around for a decade. All the band members have nicknames; they are Anthony Lefebvre (“Mastertouille”) on lead vocals, backing vocals, percussions, all Mem’ocho’s and God’s voices, and some Angels’ and Earth’s voices; Stephane Coubray (“Stefo”) on keyboards and piano, backing vocals, lead vocals and almost all Earth’s voices; Julien Estève ("lutin") on bass, fretless bass, double bass, and backing vocals; Cedric Saulnier (“Sergio”) on guitars, backing vocals, and lead vocals; and Raphael Leger (“Rafal”) on drums and rap vocals (to quote the CD booklet, “let your f**king soul run amock”).

Things may seem to run amock on this 77-minute opus, but tricky, intricate arrangements, machine-gun like riffs, Leger’s crisp, tight drumming, lots of driving beats and overall awesome musicianship keep the CD steady as she goes, without losing musical diversity overboard. You get speed metal one minute and ballads the next, like the change of scenery in a movie. The CD’s production and playing are top notch. Saulnier is a phenomenal guitarist. I want to see a DVD of him playing because when I listen to the guitar soloing on Passion And Loneliness I can’t imagine someone can play that fast. Although Italian virtuoso Simone Fiorletta (Moonlight Comedy) comes to mind. Passion And Loneliness also features a piano section from Coubray evoking prog supergroup Kino. Other comparisons are so obvious they almost don’t need mentioning - Rush, Marillion, Pink Floyd, etc. Oddly enough, the eighties arena rock of Styx and Loverboy also comes to mind.

This CD will appeal to anyone who is a fan of progressive metal in general. For more conservative listeners, Orenda is probably not for you.

Edited by lutinmyung - July 19 2015 at 15:12
lutinmyung View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2015 at 11:44
 After a long break, the side project "A New Day For Heaven" (http://www.anewdayforheaven.com) and a line-up change at the beginning of 2015 (guitar & drums), the group went back to work on their second album ...

Here's a trailer :

Orenda had the opportunity to present two new songs during the first concert of the new line-up in Paris on June 30 ...

lutinmyung View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2015 at 15:28
Here is the side project "A new day for heaven" (four members are part of the new Orenda line-up) live :

Windhawk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2015 at 15:37
Websites I work with:

http://www.progressor.net
http://www.houseofprog.com

My profile on Mixcloud:
https://www.mixcloud.com/haukevind/
 Post Reply Post Reply