Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Wider and narrower senses of "progressive rock"
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWider and narrower senses of "progressive rock"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
WeepingElf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2015 at 09:55
Originally posted by TGM: Orb TGM: Orb wrote:

Well, prog seems to me to be kind of a shorthand for a few different approaches to what was decidedly rock music springing largely from a mix of of the British blues boom of the 60s, The Beatles, psychedelia, the lyrical ambition of The Who and Bob Dylan. This got thrown in with bits of jazz or classical.

Yes.  Prog evolved from the late Beatles mixed with psychedelic rock and ambitious lyrics in the Dylan vein, with jazz and classical added.  That describes the mixture quite well.

Quote Improvisation was completely key to huge amounts of early prog (Colosseum, Floyd, ELP, King Crimson). Technological innovation was important initially then kind of petered out as bands started aping other bands' sounds. I mean, half the Italian scene is based on what keyboards England was using three years earlier.

Certainly, improvisation was important in early prog, but the classic prog bands soon moved to more composed pieces.  That doesn't necessarily mean that they wrote scores like classical composers do, but there definitely is composition in pieces like Close to the Edge.

Quote I kind of disagree that the lyrics were inherently progressive and compared to the sort of stuff being attempted in the folk scene at the time they're pretty tame on social stuff (give a listen to Roy Harper's Stormcock album for instance) but the nature of doing 20 minute songs with a range of moods was that they required ambitious lyrics.

Indeed, prog lyrics are usually not as openly political as some singer/songwriters or the West German Politrock bands of the early 70s, or the Fugs.  But many address social problems, some (especially classic Yes) were outright visionary, and most (in the classic era, at least) reflect a progressive countercultural spirit.  At least, despite much research, I could not find any true right-wing commentary in a prog song.  Neal Morse writes Christian lyrics, but that doesn't make him a rightist.  Rush lyrics espouse a sort of radical individualism and are influenced by thinking about the ideas of Ayn Rand, but while Ayn Rand can be called a rightist (though an idiosyncratic one), Neal Peart is much less so.  However, some "New Right" neofolk and industrial bands sometimes sound much like Tool, but that IMHO isn't prog.

... brought to you by the Weeping Elf

"What does Elvish rock music sound like?" - "Yes."

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2015 at 10:11
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Originally posted by WeepingElf WeepingElf wrote:

Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

I've never heard Tool before, I'm afraid. I do get annoyed when Coheed and Cambria are called Prog.

Coheed and Cambria are IMHO prog, though I can understand prog fans not liking them much. But Tool is much less prog than C&C.  They are hard to classify; one can say that Maynard James Keenan invented his own style. The German Wikipedia mentions Meshuggah (a technical extreme metal band) besides KC, PF and Led Zeppelin as sources of influence, but I cannot really follow that.  The English Wikipedia mentions the Melvins (a noise/doom/stoner band, themselves not easy to classify) as the main influence, which makes much more sense.  The music of Tool is very dark and brooding, rather slow but with a stomping beat, a prominent bass guitar, little or no keyboards, and a gradual buildup of texture.  The only things it shares with prog is the length of the tracks and the use of complex time signatures.

Perhaps because Tool is hard to classify is what makes them prog.

Well, if it is just for being hard to classify, they could be anything ... but I can see how they could get labelled "progressive": there is this progressive buildup of texture (as in progressive house etc.; has of course nothing to do with prog); there are the length of the pieces and the complex time signatures (which are reminiscent of prog).  But perhaps whoever first called Tool "progressive" did not even have prog in mind; when this happened (in the early 90s), prog was so out that you could be an "expert" in current rock music without knowing that the thing even existed.  Those were times when people wrote big books about rock history without even mentioning prog!  But AFAIK, "progressive" was then a hot thing in electronic dance music, and the hipsters must have known.

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2015 at 10:13
^But it's not anything. They are considerd prog.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2015 at 10:23
Yet another thread essentially about what is ....'progressive rock'.

LOL
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2015 at 10:33
Yes, the three essential questions for man: 1) Is there a god? 2) what happens after death? and 3) What is progressive rock? LOL

Edited by SteveG - July 23 2015 at 10:38
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2015 at 11:32
^You forgot about the eternal dilemma ie 'what do women want'.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2015 at 14:34
David, my three question might have an answer, yours, never. LOL
terramystic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2015 at 07:48
Originally posted by Skalla-Grim Skalla-Grim wrote:

Keith Emerson supposedly said: "It is music that does progress. It takes an idea and developes it, rather than just repeat it. Pop songs are about repetition and riffs and simplicity. Progressive music takes a riff, turns it inside out, plays it upside down and the other way around, and explores its potential."

That's very narrow - meaning almost only symphonic prog and some neo. This leaves out: space, avant, post ...
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2015 at 11:35
Some band like Yes, although great, is not and never will be, nor some other Symph band, a reference point for valuation of prog by e.g. Tool, or Telepathy - that's a new and great and prog band who released their magnificent debut 12 Areas in 2014. Insist on 1970s Symph rock that to be a reference point for contemporary prog expressions, actually is pure mental masturbation.

Edited by Svetonio - July 27 2015 at 11:39
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2015 at 12:11
Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

Insist on 1970s Symph rock that to be a reference point for contemporary prog expressions, actually is pure mental masturbation.

Wouldn't it be more correct to say metal masturbation? Wink

In any case, referring to current prog bands in contrast with previous prog bands is part of a historically contextual discussion. I don't think one can divorce such context when defining bands in a specific genre, or if indeed they are even in the same genre.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2015 at 12:18
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Insist on 1970s Symph rock that to be a reference point for contemporary prog expressions, actually is pure mental masturbation.

(...)
Isn't that similar if you wrote "70s symph rock masturbation"?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2015 at 12:26

(...)
No, what I said is far cleverer.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2015 at 12:46

(...)
Of course, you are the most clever blues fan that I meet in my life.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2015 at 13:35

(...)
Of course, you are the most clever blues fan that I meet in my life.
Fortunately, the blues is easier to quantify than prog, which seemingly has as many definitions of "what it is" as there are fans, or at least posters on this site.LOL
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2015 at 14:22

Some band like Yes, although great, is not and never will be, nor some other Symph band, a reference point for valuation of prog by e.g. Tool, or Telepathy - that's a new and great and prog band who released their magnificent debut 12 Areas in 2014. Insist on 1970s Symph rock that to be a reference point for contemporary prog expressions, actually is pure mental masturbation.

It depends, again, on how you define prog!  If you, as I do, understand prog as a label for a particular current of tradition within the realm of rock music, then the classic symphonic prog bands (all of them combined, not a single band, however) are a valid reference point for what constitutes prog.  And that is IMHO not "pure mental masturbation".  And then, I feel, Tool fall by the wayside (I don't know Telepathy, so I say nothing on that matter).  Of course, Tool are progressive in their own ways, and there certainly is some relationship to prog of the classic tradition, and finally, they are widely held to be a "prog" band, and words always mean what people use it for.  But it is a different kind of "prog".

Edited by WeepingElf - July 27 2015 at 14:22

Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2015 at 15:07

It depends, again, on how you define prog!  If you, as I do, understand prog as a label for a particular current of tradition within the realm of rock music, then the classic symphonic prog bands (all of them combined, not a single band, however) are a valid reference point for what constitutes prog.  And that is IMHO not "pure mental masturbation".  And then, I feel, Tool fall by the wayside (I don't know Telepathy, so I say nothing on that matter).  Of course, Tool are progressive in their own ways, and there certainly is some relationship to prog of the classic tradition, and finally, they are widely held to be a "prog" band, and words always mean what people use it for.  But it is a different kind of "prog".

70s Symphonic rock could be a reference point only for those young bands who are playing that retro style (what I do like if it's good, e.g. English band called Napier's Bones is great). However, for contemporary bands who are in some prog sub-genre which wasn't even existed at the time of Symphonic rock's heydays, it's really crazy to think about.
Oh and there is no different kinds of prog as you might fantasize. There's just one prog as an umbrella for many different bands, styles and sub-genres as well; Symphonic rock, although the most popular sub-genre mainly due to pop elements, is just one of Prog' sub-genres.

Edited by Svetonio - July 27 2015 at 15:11
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2015 at 10:17

70s Symphonic rock could be a reference point only for those young bands who are playing that retro style (what I do like if it's good, e.g. English band called Napier's Bones is great). However, for contemporary bands who are in some prog sub-genre which wasn't even existed at the time of Symphonic rock's heydays, it's really crazy to think about.

Well, the term prog(ressive) rock was originally established to mean the kind of music we now call "classic prog" or "symphonic prog" to distinguish it from later styles that emerged from it; and thus, 70s symphonic prog is still relevant as a reference point not only to retro-prog but to prog in general.  It is relevant to neo-prog bands such as Marillion; it is relevant to prog metal bands such as Dream Theater; it is relevant to nu prog artists such as Steven Wilson.  All these stand in the tradition of classic prog, but use more modern sound dress, and can be understood under the critical framework established for classic prog; hence, they are prog.

Of course, not all parameters of classic prog are equally relevant.  For instance, it doesn't really matter much whether a band uses a Mellotron (or at least, Mellotron sounds from a sound library, or whatever) or not.  That is a rather superficial parameter, part of what I call "sound dress", and even among classic prog bands, there were quite a few who did not use a Mellotron (the staple keyboard instrument of classic prog was not the Mellotron, also not the synthesizer, but the Hammond organ).  But what regards musical structure, modern prog can be aptly compared to classic prog, even if the sound dress is very different (as with, for instance, Dream Theater vs. Pink Floyd).  With bands such as Tool, or most djent and tech metal bands, it is not just the sound dress that is different.  The whole structure is not meaningfully comparable to classic prog; the defining features of the genre, as I outlined them in my opening post, or can be found on the Wikipedia entry for "progressive rock" and in various books on the matter, just aren't there.  Hence, it is not prog.

Quote Oh and there is no different kinds of prog as you might fantasize. There's just one prog as an umbrella for many different bands, styles and sub-genres as well; Symphonic rock, although the most popular sub-genre mainly due to pop elements, is just one of Prog' sub-genres.

I feel a contradiction between your claim that classic prog does not matter for modern prog except retro-prog, and your claim that there is "just one prog".  If classic prog is not relevant to moderrn prog as a reference point, what then is the reference point?  What holds that "just one prog" together if not the structural parameters that were historically established by classic prog?  I feel that you are trying to get things under one umbrella because they are named the same, despite not having much more in common than the name.  By saying that classic prog is irrelevant as a reference point for artists such as Tool, you implicitly admit that there is no strong connection between the former and the latter, and that is exactly my point why I don't think Tool is a prog band in the sense bands such as Yes, IQ or Dream Theater are.

Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2015 at 10:32
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2015 at 10:49
Originally posted by terramystic terramystic wrote:

Originally posted by Skalla-Grim Skalla-Grim wrote:

Keith Emerson supposedly said: "It is music that does progress. It takes an idea and developes it, rather than just repeat it. Pop songs are about repetition and riffs and simplicity. Progressive music takes a riff, turns it inside out, plays it upside down and the other way around, and explores its potential."

That's very narrow - meaning almost only symphonic prog and some neo. This leaves out: space, avant, post ...
If Keith Emerson's theory is true then anything Greg Lake wrote for ELP was definitely not progressive. Lucky Man, Still You Turn Me On, Benny the Bouncer, C'est La Vie, etc. All standard pop in my book.LOL
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2015 at 11:00

(...) What holds that "just one prog" together if not the structural parameters that were historically established by classic prog? (...)
Our acceptance actually holds prog together. Because the prog is what "we" (a majority of prog fans since 60s 'til now) accepted as such.

Edited by Svetonio - July 28 2015 at 11:12
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>