Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Wider and narrower senses of "progressive rock"
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWider and narrower senses of "progressive rock"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Skalla-Grim View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2015 at 12:12
Originally posted by terramystic terramystic wrote:

Originally posted by Skalla-Grim Skalla-Grim wrote:

Keith Emerson supposedly said: "It is music that does progress. It takes an idea and developes it, rather than just repeat it. Pop songs are about repetition and riffs and simplicity. Progressive music takes a riff, turns it inside out, plays it upside down and the other way around, and explores its potential."

That's very narrow - meaning almost only symphonic prog and some neo. This leaves out: space, avant, post ...

I didn't quote Emerson's statement to exclude any bands from being "progressive", I just wanted to show there's a different (and, in my opinion, more relevant) meaning of "progressive", than to change your style forever and ever, or play in a style no-one has played before.

And, yes - Lake's songs like "Lucky Man" are not progressive in that way.
WeepingElf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2015 at 14:06
Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

Originally posted by WeepingElf WeepingElf wrote:

(...) What holds that "just one prog" together if not the structural parameters that were historically established by classic prog? (...)
Our acceptance actually holds prog together. Because the prog is what "we" (a majority of prog fans since 60s 'til now) accepted as such.

Which is a highly subjective notion.  But OK, prog is what people use the word for.  That's the way language works.  Hence, I say "prog in the classic tradition", if necessary, when I refer to the kind of music that descends from classic prog and is what I am chiefly interested in.  There are indeed other kinds of music people call "prog" which are IMHO not part of this.

... brought to you by the Weeping Elf

"What does Elvish rock music sound like?" - "Yes."

Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2015 at 14:51

(...) What holds that "just one prog" together if not the structural parameters that were historically established by classic prog? (...)
Our acceptance actually holds prog together. Because the prog is what "we" (a majority of prog fans since 60s 'til now) accepted as such.

Which is a highly subjective notion.  But OK, prog is what people use the word for.  That's the way language works.  Hence, I say "prog in the classic tradition", if necessary, when I refer to the kind of music that descends from classic prog and is what I am chiefly interested in.  There are indeed other kinds of music people call "prog" which are IMHO not part of this.

Well, regarding Tool, and that's a band that you often bring up as an example for you're in the minority, I'm afraid. There are way more prog fans who are accepted Tool as prog rock, and there is a hell of reason for that! Smile

Edited by Svetonio - July 28 2015 at 14:56
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2015 at 15:25

Well, regarding Tool, and that's a band that you often bring up as an example for you're in the minority, I'm afraid. There are way more prog fans who are accepted Tool as prog rock, and there is a hell of reason for that! Smile

I mention Tool so often because they seem to be the ones with whom this "prog vs. prog" business got started, and there is no generally accepted term for this kind of music (they are often held to be the point of origin of post-metal, though).  There are of course others, but Tool is the best-known.  So I say "Tool" when I mean "the kind of music represented by Tool".

To which degree are the people who accept Tool as prog the same people as those who are into classic prog, neo-prog, prog metal (of the Dream Theater/Queensr˙che kind) or retro-prog?  Judging from the people I know, these are two different (if overlapping) audiences.  I don't know many people who are into "both kinds of prog", but those I know maintain that these are two different things.

The track you posted is quite typical of Tool, and highlights why I don't think this has much to do with the music of bands such as Yes, Pink Floyd, Rush, Marillion, Dream Theater, Spock's Beard or Porcupine Tree.  There is just an endlessly repeated riff onto which more and more layers of sound are added.  That IMHO is very different from prog in the classic tradition.

That people call it prog means that ... people call it prog.  I wouldn't say that this kind of music is utterly unrelated to classic prog, though.

Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2015 at 15:41

(...)

To which degree are the people who accept Tool as prog the same people as those who are into classic prog, neo-prog, prog metal (of the Dream Theater/Queensr˙che kind) or retro-prog? (...) 

Whatever. Are you think that the crowd that likes one prog sub-genre that necessarily must be of the view that another (and quite different) prog sub-genre is "not prog", as yourself maybe?

Edited by Svetonio - July 28 2015 at 15:44
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2015 at 15:44
Originally posted by Weeping Elf Weeping Elf wrote:

Certainly, improvisation was important in early prog, but the classic prog bands soon moved to more composed pieces. That doesn't necessarily mean that they wrote scores like classical composers do, but there definitely is composition in pieces like Close to the Edge.
This is just selective. Lark's Tongues in Aspic was in 1973. Soft Machine Six, Seven were in 1973.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2015 at 16:42
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

My God no wonder his heart stopped.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2015 at 16:45
I thought something similar when I first came across that gif
He looked good back then though.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2015 at 16:46
Sure, he was a serious dancer, they rarely get sick.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2015 at 16:52
Not exactly what I was thinking of, but you're right.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2015 at 10:12

To which degree are the people who accept Tool as prog the same people as those who are into classic prog, neo-prog, prog metal (of the Dream Theater/Queensr˙che kind) or retro-prog? (...) 

Whatever. Are you think that the crowd that likes one prog sub-genre that necessarily must be of the view that another (and quite different) prog sub-genre is "not prog", as yourself maybe?

No.

terramystic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2015 at 16:04
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

Originally posted by Weeping Elf Weeping Elf wrote:

Certainly, improvisation was important in early prog, but the classic prog bands soon moved to more composed pieces. That doesn't necessarily mean that they wrote scores like classical composers do, but there definitely is composition in pieces like Close to the Edge.
This is just selective. Lark's Tongues in Aspic was in 1973. Soft Machine Six, Seven were in 1973.

Early prog bands were very versatile. KC and Canterbury bands did a lot of impro and jazzy stuff but also Yes did some jamming in the gigs (Howe was very good at this). Another example of versatility is Close to the Edge - avant, symphonic and space in one epic song!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2015 at 16:12
Of course prog bands improvised, both in studio and live.   The reason a band may opt to not play spontaneous music is because, unless that's the idea going in (like with jazz), it makes it much harder to play a coherent show.   You can't just decide "Now we're going to improvise; now we're not", it has to be understood and, yes, even practiced.   This is harder than it sounds, and few non-jazz players were prepared for it.   Zeppelin did it with remarkable alacrity, and so did Floyd to an extent pre-'75.   But they were exceptions.   Performing is kinda like taking a test--  you better be prepared, even for the unexpected, or you'll go down sure as a gassed canary.

Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2015 at 17:01

I mention Tool so often because they seem to be the ones with whom this "prog vs. prog" business got started, and there is no generally accepted term for this kind of music (they are often held to be the point of origin of post-metal, though). 

uhhh... Neurosis - Through Silver and Blood woooooo
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2015 at 17:06
Originally posted by Smurph Smurph wrote:

I mention Tool so often because they seem to be the ones with whom this "prog vs. prog" business got started, and there is no generally accepted term for this kind of music (they are often held to be the point of origin of post-metal, though). 

uhhh... Neurosis - Through Silver and Blood woooooo

True dat.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2015 at 09:01
Let me try to restate my problem with what could broadly be called "tech metal".  Sure, words mean what they are used for, so when it is widely accepted that tech metal is prog, it is prog.  But then, the question arises as to which degree this music fulfils the "quality criteria" for prog.  Like, if someone offers me a contraption as a "chair", and it collapses as I try sitting in it, it is either a bad chair - or no chair at all.

I expect from prog that it fulfils some criteria, which are the reasons why I like prog.  The key criteria are: a complex and changeful musical dramaturgy; a rich, quasi-symphonic or organ-like sound texture involving electric/electronic keyboards in the context of a rock band line-up;  sophisticated lyrics about relevant subject matters approached from a progressive standpoint.  All three criteria are abstracted from classic prog.  If these are not fulfilled, the music is IMHO either bad prog or no prog at all.

Lastly, I think of music genres as diachronic units - units based on common sources, as in biological or linguistic taxonomy.  Prog, under this angle, is a particular subgenre of rock music that emerged in late 60s England, and is characterized by the "quality criteria" given above.  That means that classic prog, the subgenre with which prog started, is still relevant to the critical evaluation of all prog today.

If tech metal descends from classic prog (and that is what IMHO the statement "tech metal is prog" means), then it is legitimate to draw comparisons to classic prog, and to gauge to which degree the defining characteristics of prog are fulfilled.  It would arguably be meaningless to apply these criteria to, say, Skrewdriver, or to a gangsta rap crew, as nobody claims them to be prog.  But if a band such as Mastodon, Meshuggah or Tool is characterized as "prog", it is IMHO legitimate to ask how it compares to classic prog and to which degree the characteristic features of prog are realized.  If you say, "No, classic prog is not relevant to the evaluation of this kind of music", you must admit the question "But is it prog then?".

Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2015 at 11:36

Let me try to restate my problem with what could broadly be called "tech metal".  Sure, words mean what they are used for, so when it is widely accepted that tech metal is prog, it is prog.  But then, the question arises as to which degree this music fulfils the "quality criteria" for prog.  Like, if someone offers me a contraption as a "chair", and it collapses as I try sitting in it, it is either a bad chair - or no chair at all.

I expect from prog that it fulfils some criteria, which are the reasons why I like prog.  The key criteria are: a complex and changeful musical dramaturgy; a rich, quasi-symphonic or organ-like sound texture involving electric/electronic keyboards in the context of a rock band line-up;  sophisticated lyrics about relevant subject matters approached from a progressive standpoint.  All three criteria are abstracted from classic prog.  If these are not fulfilled, the music is IMHO either bad prog or no prog at all.

Lastly, I think of music genres as diachronic units - units based on common sources, as in biological or linguistic taxonomy.  Prog, under this angle, is a particular subgenre of rock music that emerged in late 60s England, and is characterized by the "quality criteria" given above.  That means that classic prog, the subgenre with which prog started, is still relevant to the critical evaluation of all prog today.

If tech metal descends from classic prog (and that is what IMHO the statement "tech metal is prog" means), then it is legitimate to draw comparisons to classic prog, and to gauge to which degree the defining characteristics of prog are fulfilled.  It would arguably be meaningless to apply these criteria to, say, Skrewdriver, or to a gangsta rap crew, as nobody claims them to be prog.  But if a band such as Mastodon, Meshuggah or Tool is characterized as "prog", it is IMHO legitimate to ask how it compares to classic prog and to which degree the characteristic features of prog are realized.  If you say, "No, classic prog is not relevant to the evaluation of this kind of music", you must admit the question "But is it prog then?".

What "classic prog" exactly means for you? 1968 - 1974 prog that was made in England only? 70s Progressive rock in general? 70s Symphonic rock as a sub-genre of Progressive rock? "Classic prog" is not a sub-genre of Progressive rock; "classic prog" is just a term that we often use in different contests in different debates, but never a sub-genre as you wrote.

Edited by Svetonio - July 30 2015 at 12:26
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2015 at 11:56

I'm going to have to stop you there.

Think about this for a minute: does the entire breadth and width of the classic '70's prog bands necessarily use orchestral derived forms, organs, and keys?

The answer is a resounding NO.

Now I see why you bang on and on about so much of modern prog not being prog, and I can also see that your reasoning is, frankly, stupid.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2015 at 12:09
^ Eeegad! But how do you really feel (and this time, lower the gloves)?
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2015 at 12:30
^ No problem, and at this point I'd like to apologise in advance to Elf. 

So prog started off as being based around a good amount of certain compositional choices, and kept in the vast majority of cases a certain forward thinking and experimental edge.

What this quickly resulted in was a diversification of sound that was used within the idiom. The symphonic line obeys what Elf likes in prog, but there were, even from before Crimson first codified a few sonic tricks of the classic prog trade on their debut, bands using prog composition on wildly different sounds. We have come to define whole strains of prog that existed even then that disobeyed the all important second rule; prog folk, krautrock, avant-prog. And even within strains otherwise closely associated with symph, bands sometimes disregarded the prevailing English trend at will.

So the problem with Elf's argument is that he presumes that classic prog is always dependent on symphonic stylistic choices, and that ergo most modern prog bands can't be prog. This also represents a way of dividing prog from non-prog along lines of "What I Like" and "What I Don't Like".
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>