Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhere to start with Extreme/Tech Metal?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Where to start with Extreme/Tech Metal?
    Posted: July 21 2015 at 12:32
My grandson keeps asking me where to start with Extreme/Tech, as a lot of my listening is toned down from the growling death groups of old. So, where is a good place to start for a novice?
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2015 at 12:44
A good jumping point would be Voivod from Killing Technology up to Angel Rat, that's where they start getting more progressive and the vocals are still reasonably clean as idiosyncratic as the singer's style might be. Atheist's Piece of Time and Unquestionable Presence could be another good starting point as they're somewhat in the grey zone between thrash metal's weirder end and what's generally recognizeable as death metal.  The vocals aren't really an unrecognizeable growl at that point either.

Edited by Toaster Mantis - July 21 2015 at 12:45
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2015 at 13:52
This is just a random list I quickly wrote down. If you want more, let me know.

Old School Tech/Ext Metal:
Starting:
Death- All albums from Human to Symbolic
Atheist- Piece of Time
Edge of Sanity- Crimson
Opeth- Still Life and all their albums before this one- maybe novice level too- depends on how good you guys are with acoustic elements and clean singing/etc)

Novice:
Arcturus- Asperia Heims Symfonia (if symphonic black might be a thing he'd enjoy)
Atheist- Unquestionable Prescence/Elements
Cynic- Focus
Enslaved- Eld

Expert Level:
Demilich
Ved Buens Ende- Written in Waters (not screaming in this one though, so could be considered a lower level depending)
Meshuggah- Future Breed Machine
Emperor (yes they are prog, just not on this site) - Equilibrium IX and Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk
Arcturus- La Masquerade Infernale

Newer School Tech/Ext
Starting:
Opeth: Ghost Reveries/Blackwater Park (total f**king classics here -a must listen basically for any metal fan period)
Cynic- Traced in Air (not much screaming, awesome f**king album)
Leprous- anything by them

Novice:
Enslaved- everything Monumension and their albums after
Between the Buried in Me- pretty much all of it from Alaska onward- depends on if -core elements bother him or not
A Forest of Stars- Their latest album is TOP notch
Orakle- Eclats - like a mix of Indie rock and avant black metal
Negura Bunget- Om (total classic. Maybe the perfect blend of odd folk and black metal)

Expert:
Kayo Dot- Hubardo and Choirs of the Eye
Deathspell Omega- all works from Kenose onward
Dodecahedron
Portal
Gorguts- Obscura and Colored Sands. Obscura probably after Colored Sands because that is a weird ass album
Encenathrakh - the most extreme album I have ever heard. God this is brutal as HELL. Probably not meant for humans or anyone that isn't totally numbed out from scary music
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2015 at 19:50
Cynic - Traced in Air

Right there ^

Growls are pulled back, plenty of riffage going on. High caliber drumming from the wonderful Sean Reinert..
Songs are to the point, varied, with great hooks and songwriting. 
A great introduction that'll hopefully ease you into it. 

This is the album that did it for me.

Thumbs Up

Edited by Horizons - July 21 2015 at 19:52
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2015 at 22:11
Devin Townsend's Terria album.. start there. A friend from the old PMT suggested it to me and it hit like a ton of bricks. Fabulous frickin album.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2015 at 00:08
Mastodon - Crack the Skye.  Not their heaviest, but their proggiest (and best).
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
PrognosticMind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2015 at 04:48
Death - Human, Individual Thought Patterns, Symbolic
Gorguts - The Erosion of Sanity, Obscura
Atheist - Unquestionable Presence, Elements
Pestilence - Spheres
"A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous. Got me?"
Ancient_Mariner View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2015 at 12:49
Love Death, Human and Symbolic are their best.  Amazing drumming.  Fairly standard song structures but very technical guitar and drum work. 

Atheist is almost jazz metal at times.  All over the place, good stuff. 

Opeth - My Arms Your Hearse.  Still firmly death metal but with a heavy prog bent.

Ancient_Mariner View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2015 at 15:17
Control Denied is basically Sound of Perseverance era Death with a clean vocalist.  You may dig them.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2015 at 15:44
I thought I dip my feet into the waters of Tech/Extreme with Mastodon. I got Crack The Skye and Once More 'Round The Sun and I got NO extreme whatsoever. Just metal - not much Prog either.
Opeth are fantastic, though they're veered away from the Extreme aspect in recent times.
I listened to Behold The Arctopus and that was more like it
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2015 at 16:41
You got no prog from Crack the Skye? What?

Do you need like keyboard solos or something? Or Neal Norse featured?
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2015 at 16:55
^ I know what you're saying. Perhaps The Czar and The Last Baron cross paths with Prog, but I find Messhugah more Prog and even Iron Maiden 'Prog' so to speak.
Mastodon = quality Metal - maybe a bit Tech, but not extreme.
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2015 at 02:23
Mastodon is more extreme and less prog on their earlier albums, FWIW.
OMaTS is, as you say, not extreme at all (not really metal even).  Will be curious what way they go next.
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2015 at 07:10
Not sure if the band is on the Archives, but Afflicted's Prodigal Sun might also be worth a listen if you're into progressive or at least ambitious death metal that doesn't fit the stereotypes of what that corner of the scene sounds like.

The newer band Nux Vomica are strongly inspired by that album too on their last couple records.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Wicket View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2015 at 10:18
I've been hooked on Between The Buried And Me, mainly their last two albums, "Future Sequence" and "Coma Elliptic", the latter of which doesn't have as much screaming, but is probably the most accessible of all their albums.

In terms of other easier to get into bands, I found Leprous to be a hit, particularly "Bilateral", Cynic is a good choice obviously. "Crack The Skye" is also easy to get into, but I personally tired of it rather quickly. A lot of Devin Townsend stuff as well to check out, including his heavier stuff with Strapping Young Lad.

If you want to cash in on the demented cartoon music category, Electrocution 250 blows the competition out of the water (or would if there was any competition, Unexpect would probably be the closest to just sheer insanity).

You also have your "classics" like "Crimson" and Disillusion's "Back In The Times Of Splendor" is quite interesting, a surprise for me. Some djent-influenced groups I like such as Ever Forthright, The Faceless, Fallujah, Tesseract, The Room Colored Charlatan (and if I'm plugging bands, give Skyharbor's "Guiding Lights" album a listen. It's not real techy, but it's just such a nice listen, it's almost relaxing, give them a shot).

If you really want techy and brainy, Canvas Solaris, Blotted Science or any of Ron Jarzombek's stuff will do nicely. Christian Muenzner's solo stuff is good if you don't like screaming, with screaming you're probably like at bands like Obscura and others.

If he's got a bit of a gothic, devil-worshipping side with a heavy desire for epic orchestral effects, perhaps a Dimmu Borgir or Cradle Of Filth? Or if he just wants the full monty, Fleshgod Apocalypse would probably take the cake.

Just a few of bands off the top of my head.
"My music is not modern, it is merely badly played" - Arnold Schoenberg
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2015 at 11:41
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

My grandson keeps asking me where to start with Extreme/Tech, as a lot of my listening is toned down from the growling death groups of old. So, where is a good place to start for a novice?

I would suggest he start with pre-electric Bob Dylan and move forward from there. By the time he's done, he won't be interested in Extreme/Tech.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2015 at 10:04
Martyr - Feeding the Abscess.
Coprofago - Unorthodox Creative Criteria
Spastic Ink - Ink Complete, Ink Compatible 
Watchtower - Control and Resistance 

Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2015 at 11:22

So since the grandkid is actually asking for recommendations, he may already be into metal, so in that case there would be no reason to ease him into tech/extreme. Something recent like Obscura's "Cosmogenesis" would be a good start. Lots of speed and tech virtuosity, varied growls and spacey sci-fi sections and themes keep things interesting, and his parents can't accuse you of pushing Satan or 'devouring human flesh' upon the impressionable young lad. 

If he's not into metal whatsoever, then old-schoolers like Voivod's "Outer Limits" could work...starting there and working backwards through the catalog as things get heavier. Same with Opeth. Start non-metal with "Pale Communion" and work backwards...ease in those growls.

If he digs loud stuff that isn't metal per-se, stuff like The Dillinger Escape Plan, Animals As Leaders and Between the Buried and Me are good gateways.

If you want to terrorize his parents, Portal all day, every day.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2015 at 12:49
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

I would suggest he start with pre-electric Bob Dylan and move forward from there. By the time he's done, he won't be interested in Extreme/Tech.
Hmm, he's pretty savvy about a lot of different genres, especially Krautrock, and kids go through phases. Remember when you did? Wink

Edited by SteveG - July 27 2015 at 13:05
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2015 at 13:09
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

I thought I dip my feet into the waters of Tech/Extreme with Mastodon. I got Crack The Skye and Once More 'Round The Sun and I got NO extreme whatsoever. Just metal - not much Prog either.
Opeth are fantastic, though they're veered away from the Extreme aspect in recent times.
I listened to Behold The Arctopus and that was more like it

I'm a big fan of the Behold ... The Arctopus end of the pool and the UneXpect manic Avant Metal. How about Zevious, Hyrrokkin and Many Arms? Too much jazz?
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>