Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhere to start with Extreme/Tech Metal?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2015 at 13:42
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

My grandson keeps asking me where to start with Extreme/Tech, as a lot of my listening is toned down from the growling death groups of old. So, where is a good place to start for a novice?

I would suggest he start with pre-electric Bob Dylan and move forward from there. By the time he's done, he won't be interested in Extreme/Tech.

^...this
LOL
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2015 at 14:23
^I'll say it again, he's very savvy and probably knows more early Dylan material than I do, and I saw Dylan live in NYC in the early sixties before he was a big star. He's also extremely open minded and would probably not fit in well here.
And if Dylan's voice doesn't push someone over to growls, nothing will. LOL

Edited by SteveG - July 27 2015 at 16:35
Ancient_Mariner View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2015 at 10:44
Its all personal tastes but for me metal scratches an itch that Dylan can never even touch. Then again I find Dylan pretty unimpressive.

If he likes wild heavy progressive stuff, that has no singing just the voice used as an instrument, point him to the first Fantomas album.  Its an avant gard all star band fronted by Mike Patton with Dave Lombardo on drums.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2015 at 10:56
Originally posted by Ancient_Mariner Ancient_Mariner wrote:

Its all personal tastes but for me metal scratches an itch that Dylan can never even touch. Then again I find Dylan pretty unimpressive.
You have to take things in historical context. Bob Dylan merely strapping on an electric guitar in 1965 was wildly progressive, outlandish, and in some circles heretical. His lyrics at the time were also beyond the realm of anything in rock.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Ancient_Mariner View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2015 at 13:44
I'm sure and no disrespect to him.  I like a lot of classic 60's material but just never got very far into Dylan.  I can listen to a growling death metal vocalist before Dylan.  Nails on a chalk board for the most part.
Necrotica View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Colaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2015 at 14:06

My grandson keeps asking me where to start with Extreme/Tech, as a lot of my listening is toned down from the growling death groups of old. So, where is a good place to start for a novice?

Here's what I'd recommend, genre by genre:

Death metal:
---------------------------
Death - Anything from Human to The Sound of Perseverance
Cynic - Focus
Atheist - Unquestionable Presence and Elements
Gojira - The Way of All Flesh
Nocturnus - The Key

Thrash metal:
Voivod - Killing Technology, Dimension Hatross, Nothingface, The Outer Limits 
Dark Angel - Time Does Not Heal
Metallica - ...And Justice for All
Watchtower - Control and Resistance

-Core (Metalcore, Mathcore, Hardcore, etc.):
Dillinger Escape Plan - Calculating Infinity
Botch - We Are the Romans
Protest the Hero - Kezia
Between the Buried and Me - Alaska, Colors (you can also add this to the death metal list)

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2015 at 11:13
Thanks for all the suggestions but my grandson went with his gut instinct and bought Coma Ecliptic by Between the Buried and Me! (My suggestion btw. Cool With a little help from some PA reviews. Wink)

Edited by SteveG - July 29 2015 at 13:02
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2015 at 14:02
So full of yourself.......you got people to waste their precious time giving recommendations and this is your end line...............Thanks for all the suggestions but my grandson went with his gut instinct and bought Coma Ecliptic by Between the Buried and Me! (My suggestion btw. Cool With a little help from some PA reviews. Wink)  and I doubt you saw Dylan in the early sixiies before he became famous if you yourself were born in 1951. Just not believable. Now go look up which club that served alcohol you saw him at and get back to us.

Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2015 at 14:10
Ok well once he gets through that album (which actually isn't really tech/extreme btw, it's more Prog Metal now as they have toned down their extreme elements... though it's still pretty f**king amazing/awesome/hell yea... and to real stuck up insane metalheads Between the Buried and Me isn't actually metal due to their extensive "core" elements), be sure to send him through my list as well. I worked hard on it :P (10 minutes or less of typing counts as hard in forum terms)

I recommend that you get him listening to Deathspell and Gorguts Obscura on repeat by the time October rolls around.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2015 at 14:18
Originally posted by timothy leary timothy leary wrote:

So full of yourself.......you got people to waste their precious time giving recommendations and this is your end line...............Thanks for all the suggestions but my grandson went with his gut instinct and bought Coma Ecliptic by Between the Buried and Me! (My suggestion btw. Cool With a little help from some PA reviews. Wink)  and I doubt you saw Dylan in the early sixiies before he became famous if you yourself were born in 1951. Just not believable. Now go look up which club that served alcohol you saw him at and get back to us.

You seem quite obsessed with me and, frankly, I find that disturbing. There's plenty of help for people like you if you know where to look. (My suggestion btw is any ER that incudes mental health services.Cool With a little help from some medication, I'm sure you'll do just fine. Wink)

Edited by SteveG - July 29 2015 at 14:18
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2015 at 14:21
Originally posted by Smurph Smurph wrote:

Ok well once he gets through that album (which actually isn't really tech/extreme btw, it's more Prog Metal now as they have toned down their extreme elements... though it's still pretty f**king amazing/awesome/hell yea... and to real stuck up insane metalheads Between the Buried and Me isn't actually metal due to their extensive "core" elements), be sure to send him through my list as well. I worked hard on it :P (10 minutes or less of typing counts as hard in forum terms)

I recommend that you get him listening to Deathspell and Gorguts Obscura on repeat by the time October rolls around.
I agree it's more prog than extreme tech but it's a start. He's still got your list and he'll move on from there. Despite from what crazy Tim was ranting about, it's all appreciated and he'll grow from there. Thanks.

Edited by SteveG - July 29 2015 at 14:22
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2015 at 14:38
Tell us more about seeing Bob Dylan in the early sixties. I may be crazy but I do not make up stuff I never did.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2015 at 14:41
^Tim, Dylan played in open air settings, too, around the city with others like Phil Ochs. I was born on W78 Street in NYC. Now, please stop embarrassing yourself and sleep it off.
Incase you feel like going on, kids were allowed to see performances like this one. There was no age limit like in a bar. Got it?

Edited by SteveG - July 29 2015 at 14:45
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2015 at 14:47

^Tim, Dylan played in open air settings, too, around the city with others like Phil Ochs. I was born on W78 Street in NYC. Now, please stop embarrassing yourself and sleep it off.
Hahaha this is hilarious.

Btw, Steve, I was just joking about things being all silly. I'm sure you could tell I was joking... I'm still just really excited for him to get into this kinda music. Btw, if he ends up liking Coma Ecliptic a lot, the album by The Human abstract called "Digital Veil" might be up his alley. Kind of has that little bit of 'core' vibe to it with a little nasaly vocals, but it's all composed in extreme detail by AJ Minette, one of the best modern metal guitarists out there. There's a sort of sound like a super heavy metal Muse at points even. Cool stuff.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2015 at 14:53
Okay Steve, I am not embarrassed at all. Just skeptical.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2015 at 15:07
Originally posted by Smurph Smurph wrote:

Hahaha this is hilarious.

Btw, Steve, I was just joking about things being all silly. I'm sure you could tell I was joking... I'm still just really excited for him to get into this kinda music. Btw, if he ends up liking Coma Ecliptic a lot, the album by The Human abstract called "Digital Veil" might be up his alley. Kind of has that little bit of 'core' vibe to it with a little nasaly vocals, but it's all composed in extreme detail by AJ Minette, one of the best modern metal guitarists out there. There's a sort of sound like a super heavy metal Muse at points even. Cool stuff.

Ok, Smurph, thanks and everything is cool. I'm going to pop off. Tim may not be too embarrassed to split but I'm too embarrassed for him to stay online.  Creepy would be an understatement.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2015 at 15:39
Originally posted by timothy leary timothy leary wrote:

Okay Steve, I am not embarrassed at all. Just skeptical.

Granted, it was not Bob Dylan, but I was taken to see Peter, Paul and Mary in Detroit when I was 7 in 1967 (and they sang a couple Dylan tunes), and then saw Alice Cooper when I was 12. Youngsters do see concerts.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12