Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGetting deeper into prog recommendations

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2015 at 23:09
Originally posted by Ancient_Mariner Ancient_Mariner wrote:

I'm a metal head and classic rock lover, along with a fan of some jazz (mostly swinging big band) and classical.

Greetings. Regarding your classical area of music....for the last few years I have found a lot of musical enjoyment with Chamber Prog/RIO/Avant-Prog/Jazz-Rock Fusion genres.

Here's a few of my favorites:

also, here's a few harder rocking fav's:

Making the useless useful 24/7.
Ancient_Mariner View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2015 at 14:01
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I guess you'll have to get more Crimson albums... however, a warning, don't expect to get another "Court of the Crimson King", for that was the only such album they made... well, almost, the second one was almost a copy in structure and feel of the first album, but for me they mostly failed and didn't achieve the same highs (the title track is wonderful, though), after that they did it all different and didn't repeat themselves. I guess your next picks would have to be "Lark's Tongues in Aspic" and some live album from the Wetton era (I like best "Collectible King Crimson Vol 1, or else "The Great Deceiver").

From Genesis you already got/ordered my favourites, but I guess you should get "Nursery Crime" as well in order to get the trio... and The Lamb too, in order to get all from this line-up, though for me this one lost some of the magic from the previous albums.

Indeed you need to get into Yes. Go with Fragile and Close to the Edge, my very favourite ones and the ones with the most remarkable line-up. Then you should get the next 3 albums (and perhaps The Yes album too), or Yessongs (or else, the new progeny, which I haven't got, but it's suposed to have better sound quality... I guess the highlight version should be enough).

About Jethro Tull, besides the two albums that were recommended to you already (Thick as a Brick and Passion Play... of which the second one I don't yet know and thus cannot recomend), you might as well get the Live, Bursting Out album (most of the times I like Jethro Tull live much better, actually).

You haven't mentioned ELP, so perhaps you need to get into them too. As well as Van Der Graaf Generator, Gentle Giant, Camel, and Renaissance. And don't forget some Rock Progressivo Italiano too (Banco del Muttuo Socorsso are my favourites, plus the album "YS" from Il Balleto di Bronzo, "Inferno" from Metamorphosi, and "Zarathustra" from Museo Rosenbach, oh yes, and "Felona e Sorona" from Le Orme. And since you like metal, I have been digging some Devin Townsend lately, he's got some wonderful music; I really loved Terria.

I've listened to Brain Salad Surgery on Amazon and just realized that for all these years I never knew Karma Evil 9 was ELP, or the name of the song.  Heard that a million times on local radio.   I'll be grabbing the album, need to see if the current copies are crappy remasters or what though.  Genesis  Foxtrot will be on order soon, as well as Closer to the Edge by Yes. 

Red and Crimson King are very different albums, while I like the debut more now I'm digging both.

Amazon music has some good prog on the prime streaming. Decent selection of Genesis, Yes, Rush, ELP, Ayreon, and other prog related bands bands.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2015 at 21:47
From ELP, check out Tarkus too. As for your not liking Gentle Giant, perhaps you could check out their first two albums. The first album I got from them, because of it's great reviews, and so that I could have an overview of their career, was the live "Playing the Fool"... and I almost gave up there, because I really didn't like it at all, except for a song from the first album. Somehow I decided to give them another chance, and got their first 4 albums (the ones before Phil left), and specially the first two were really wonderful, much warmer than the stuff I didn't like from the first album I got... and the other two were OK, but already started to have some of the sound I didn't like.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2015 at 10:59
I'll give GG another shot, can't write off a band based on a few minutes of youtube. :)

terramystic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2015 at 15:07
I think the best place to start with GG is Free Hand or Octopus.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2015 at 22:27
I may agree with Octopus, though I still don't like it remotely as much as the two first albums. If I'd heard Free Hand first, I might not have been interested to try any further (as was almost the case with Playing the Fool).
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2015 at 09:35
So Selling England By the Pound showed up.  In the past I would have never thought I would ever have bought a Genesis album, mostly based on the pop years impression.  Got the 1994 edition since I heard the later ones were really mastered too loud.  So far an interesting listen but only a couple songs in.  Foxtrot was cool so hopefully this one is too.

On a related note.  What is Phil's best drumming performance, on a song, in the classic Genesis catalog?  Any fast work with a lot of complexity?  Something that a Neil Peart fan would go "that's pretty cool" too?  I doubt they have a YYZ type tune in their catalog but just looking for something cool.  I'm a big fan of prog rock and metal drumming.

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2015 at 10:51
Not an album song, but this drum duet with Chester Thompson from their Way We Walk tour is pretty cool.

Edited by rushfan4 - July 30 2015 at 10:52
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2015 at 15:31
I went to drummerworld and looked at some of his clips playing jazz on youtube.  The man can drum no doubt. That duet is pretty amazing.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2015 at 15:38
Check out his work on the first two Brand X albums
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
justin4950834-2 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2015 at 19:33
The Battle Of Epping Forest from Selling England by the Pound is probably the best drumming Ive heard him do on a Genesis track. Very fiddly, crazy, jazzy stuff in 7/4, 11/4 and 6/8, all while keeping it very quiet to leave room for the other instruments.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2015 at 22:25
I always thought Collin's drumming was a bit restrained on Genesis... or at least mixed low. However, when I got my live albums box set, including the original live album from the 70's, with additional tracks, plus the Rainbow concert (which I don't know if it can be obtained outside the box-set), I really loved many songs better than the studio ones, and in great measure that's because of Collin's drumming, much stronger and crazier (plus Hackett is also sort of heavier). I particularly remember the live version of "Dancing with the Moonlit Knight", really epic... I think also "The Musical Box".
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2015 at 22:27
Oh, and you might find interesting the Seconds Out version of Cinema Show, which features Bruford on drums and has both him and Collins going together for the instrumental part (unfortunatley, Bruford is only feature in one or two songs on the album, the rest is with Chester Thompson).
Windhawk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2015 at 01:39
As drumming was mentioned, here's some fun stuff by Polish veteran prog band SBB.

Websites I work with:

http://www.progressor.net
http://www.houseofprog.com

My profile on Mixcloud:
https://www.mixcloud.com/haukevind/
Windhawk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2015 at 01:49
...and while note related to prog in anyway whatsoever, here's a fun little standup routine about the good, old soundcheck I guess most people that have been to some live events should find fun to watch.

Websites I work with:

http://www.progressor.net
http://www.houseofprog.com

My profile on Mixcloud:
https://www.mixcloud.com/haukevind/
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2015 at 14:00
Reporting in

Listening to SEBTP and Foxtrot I have to say I think Foxtrot is a better album. 

Signing out...
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2015 at 00:33
Originally posted by Windhawk Windhawk wrote:

As drumming was mentioned, here's some fun stuff by Polish veteran prog band SBB.

That is pretty nice!  Clap
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2015 at 10:00
Well dug into the wallet at the record store and on Ebay this weekend.

Genesis -  Trick of the Tail LP (1976 ATCO release)
Opeth - Heritage CD
Yes - Closer to the Edge CD
Yes - Fragile CD

With CD's I always avoid remasters for the most part as they seem to just ruin the sound.
terramystic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2015 at 10:22
Originally posted by Ancient_Mariner Ancient_Mariner wrote:

With CD's I always avoid remasters for the most part as they seem to just ruin the sound.

My Yes albums are Atlantic remasters. Am I missing a lot? I know there are also Rhino and Wilson remasters.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2015 at 19:06
I couldn't tell you about those specific albums.  The ones I got were not remasters as far as I could tell, if they were they didn't say it.  I'm generalizing but especially with hard rock and metal albums remasters always seem to be about boosting the sound levels and ruining the dynamics of the records.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>