Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 2nd Round Classics: Yeti v. Principe di un Giorno
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed2nd Round Classics: Yeti v. Principe di un Giorno

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Pick One!!!
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
23 [63.89%]
13 [36.11%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2nd Round Classics: Yeti v. Principe di un Giorno
    Posted: July 25 2015 at 08:09
Next up... ooohhh.. 2 absolute favorites of mine.

First up..  the mighty Amon Duul II and to review it.. the mighty Mick himself

Amon Düül II - Yeti CD (album) cover

YETI

Amon Düül II

Krautrock

4.05 | 361 ratings

From Progarchives.com, the ultimate progressive rock music website

micky
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator
5 stars Here Micky comes to one of the most interesting groups in all of prog. The history of the group is well noted in the groups bio here so I invite you to read it if you are not familiar with them. ADII released what must honestly be considered if not THE prog trilogy of all time (Gong I guess may get that nod) then surely among the greatest of trilogies in prog none the less. The debates among prog fans are endless as to which of those 3 albums is best; Phallus Dei, Yeti, or Tanz der Lemminge. Most will agree the the last two are the most fully realized. With this review.. I cast my lot ...as I have in the forums... with the mighty Yeti.

'Tanz is like walking through a haunted house; Yeti is like being chased through one'

Read those words one time in regard to this album.. and man alive is it so true. ADII is a bit of an aberration from the typical Krautrock you may or may not know about. Much of the music from that movement was cold, dark, and depressing. ADII and Yeti is no exception. Where ADII differed was, at least for these 3 albums, was a different mode of Krautrock eschewing the minimalist principals that many Krautrockers latched onto. The sounds is a catatonias explosion of guitars and all kinds of instruments under the sun. A multi-layered, doom laden , sci-fi sound that was more futuristic than anything around at the time even more than Floyd. Though put into Krautrock here.. and correctly so. Fans of psychedelic prog and space rock will adore this album.. and those of the trilogy.

The album kicks off with a bang and the multi-sectioned 14 minute long suite: Soap Shop Rock. The first section Burning Sister is a riff laden explosion of bass and guitar with the trade mark SR cascading drums. The operatic Halluziantion Guillotine is a real mind f**k haha. With the always terminally underused Renate *heart*. Gulp A Sonata has some sweet violin and crunching guitar in it and nice 2 part vocals in it. The aptly titled Flesh-Coloured Anti-Aircraft Alarm sounds like a soundtrack from a horror movie. The piece is brought to a conclusion by a reprise of the main riff from Burning Sister. A Fabulous if not exactly a coherent flowing piece of music.

After that sonic assault on the ears She Came Through the Chimney come next bring a more sedate guitar, violin and bongo drum driven piece of music that is a bit of respite from the opening track. Not exactly my favorite moment on the album.. but nice contrasting piece that leads into one of AD II's signature songs and one my personal favorites.. the driving Archangels Thunderbird with a driving guitar riff but featuring my favorite female prog vocalist of all the incomparable Renate Knaup-Krotenschwantz. Such a dynamic.. powerful.. expressive voice. God I love that song. Cerberus is up next beginning with a strong driving folkie acoustic picking with congos accompanying then explodes into an electric orgy with harsh guitars.. driving bass. Excellent stuff. The instrumental Return of Ruebezahl is next, a short piece that is basicly a multi-layered guitar riff carried on for a minute and a half. Eye-Shaking King follows and would have done any horror proud as a soundtrack hahah. Distorted voices.. shrill guitars. Creepy as hell. Top notch stuff full of dark atmosphere. Pale Gallery follows next a short track LONG again on creepy dark atmosphere. With Organ... disjointed guitars.. a plodding drum pattern. Feels like a trip into the cosmos without hope of a return ticket. Great stuff.

The rest of the original album is taken up of 3 improvisational pieces. For some this is where the album begins to tail off.. for others though.. this is the meat of the album. Full of the atmospherics that made up the first half of the album but as the nature of improvisational pieces.. lacking in structure.. or great melodies or largely the vocals which I always saw as a strong suit of the group. Great stuff if you love the dark gloom and doom of the atmosphere of the first half of the album. Yeti Talks to Yogi being the best of these in my opinion. The recent reissue has two bonus tracks and these are actually two of my favorites on here surprisingly. Rattlesnakeplumcake is a punchy number with a a great bass and Renate vocal section that just grabbed from the first listen. Between the Eyes is a track that would surface on Tanz der Lemminge under another title (Stumbling Over Melted Moonlight). This version here on Yeti smokes that with pure manic energy. Renate's Geddy Lee like shrieking is simply priceless and the monstrous guitar riff which leads into a extended atmospheric exit make for a definite headphone experience.

Ranking the album. Easy... a Krautrock.. a Space Rock.. and a Psychedelic Prog masterpiece. This album should be in your prog collection. 5 stars. For me.. preference. 5 stars. Next to Wolf City my favorite AD II album and has a fire, and passion that Tanz lacks.. but that is for a future Tanz der Lemminge review to elaborate upon.

Michael (aka Micky)

and in the opposing side. One of the most beautiful albums I've ever heard.

Celeste!!  and to review it...  one of my favorites from the old school genre teams we had.  Guillermo!!! ClapClap

Celeste - Principe di un Giorno CD (album) cover

PRINCIPE DI UN GIORNO

Celeste

Rock Progressivo Italiano

4.17 | 211 ratings

From Progarchives.com, the ultimate progressive rock music website

memowakeman
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator
4 stars Beautiful and melodic!

It is always a pleasure to review this kind of albums that make me have a great time while listening to it, there are some albums that i could describe with one word, being sometimes "marvelous", "awesome", "fantastic" etc, this time i have thought about one word which really suits to describe this album, and it is "beautiful".

Never tired of Italian music, probably a couple of years ago, or more, i discover "Principe di un Giorno" but only the song, not the complete album, and loved it since the very first listen, it caught my attention and filled my ears with pure beauty, this is what led me to get interested on the album itself, and then, actually not that soon as i wanted, i got the album and was delighted with the music here, which seems to be probably one the softest and mellowest albums that RPI has offered to us, i am sure that anyone could like or enjoy this album due to its pastoral and traditional sound.

Another thing that i would like to remark, is that this album was released in the second half of the 70´s, i mean before it was released, several Italian monsters had previously have success with their different masterpieces, PFM; Le Orme and BMS being the obvious bands, but also a lot of other bands had disbanded for a period or even dissappeared, so Celeste appeared in a time when some people might have thought about the decrease of Italian prog rock, and prog rock in general.

So this album features 7 songs and a 37-minute lenght, and kicks off with the title track "Principe di un Giorno" which believe me its a beautiful song, very warm and delicate music, full of mellotron, flute and nice acoustic guitars, it makes you feel better when you listen to it, simply beautiful. "Favole Antiche" is one out of two mini epics of this album, over 8 minutes of again a very warm and soft sound, nice vocals accompanied with the beautiful sound of flute, again the mellotron plays an important role on the song but also we can hear the xylophone, great song. "Eftus", when i first see the name i though it was Fetus mispelled, well anyway, this song continues ith the soft and warm sound of the previous ones, a pastoral and short song, made to fill our ears with joy and tranquility. "Giocchi Nella Notte" follows the same way as the previous ones, but this time what makes this song different is the later sound of sax and a louder moment, i mean not as soft as other songs this is the second longest song of the album. "La Grande Isola" is one of my favorite songs here, i love the mellotron and the delicated bass playing, it has some magnific passages, mellotron - flute - acoustic guitar predominates here as in the album in general and this song has an stronger end. "La Danza del Fato" is a short piece with sound of bells but in general it has the same structure as the other ones. "L´Imbroglio" is the shortest and last song of this beautiful album, just a minute of pastoral music to finish this album, very nice.

Well as you can notice this album has no weak moments (at least for me), i like all the songs here, i feel very please everytime i listen to this gem, but i feel somewhat unconvinced about my final grade,i feel, as an RPI lover that i should give it 5 stars without hesitation, but something inside me says that 4 is the correct grade, because despite loving all the music here,i think i prefer another kind of RPI, hope you understand what i mean.

However, this album is essential to any prog lover, but not a masterpiece, anyway please check it you will be really pleased with this beauty!

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2015 at 08:30
The Yeti knight for me!
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2015 at 09:44
Two five star albums in my books. I hate to see Celeste getting killed here but I do prefer Yeti and that's what I voted for.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2015 at 09:50
Yeti by (insert distance here)
Magma America Great Make Again
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2015 at 10:25
Yeti.

Poor Celeste... Unhappy
- From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.
The Bearded Bard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2015 at 10:33
OK, I'll be the lone voter (so far) for Principe di un Giorno then. Not a big fan of ADII.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2015 at 10:47
^ thanks! It is a great album and there is no such thing as an Italian bagel... thus I can freely and in good conscious vote for YetiLOL
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Andrea Cortese View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2015 at 16:23
Since Yeti is not Wolf City ( for me Amon Duul's best and on my top 10 ever) I can esile vote for Celeste. Their first is outstanding and so original
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2015 at 16:45
Celeste is celestial, Yeti is a big abominable snow man from Deutschland . Had to go with Principe ! 
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2015 at 20:16
Celeste for the sheer tear-jerking beauty.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2015 at 05:09
*flip coin*

Yeti
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2015 at 05:53
I usually go with the Italians but I never fallen for Celeste's magic, Yeti on the other hand is the album who got me into Krautrock, so...
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2015 at 05:58
I used to dig the hell out of that Celeste album. I span it here the other day due to this poll and found myself dosing off. Maybe it was just a momentary lapse of enjoyment though.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2015 at 13:08
Celeste is cool, but ADII were on fire with this album.

Yeti.
t d wombat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2015 at 21:51
Oh what the hell. AD are going run away with this so I'm voting for the pretty underdog.
Andrew B

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.” ― Julius Henry Marx
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2015 at 21:54
Celeste
Olape View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2015 at 08:45
Yeti
proggman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2015 at 21:19

Celeste, Principe di un Giorno.

When he rides, my fears subside.
For darkness turns once more to light.
Through the skies, his white horse flies.
To find a land beyond the night.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2015 at 21:46
Yeti
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Atkingani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2015 at 22:36
Celeste reacted well but I think it's not enough to defeat the mighty AD II. 

Edited by Atkingani - July 29 2015 at 22:37
Guigo

~~~~~~
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>