Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 2nd Round Clas: Storia di un Minuto v.  For Your
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed2nd Round Clas: Storia di un Minuto v. For Your

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: hmmm..
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
39 [72.22%]
15 [27.78%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2nd Round Clas: Storia di un Minuto v. For Your
    Posted: July 25 2015 at 09:07
next up.. hahhah.. oh that is a matchup.

in the near corner.  PFM!!!! ClapClapClapClapClap  Reviewed by the silent but deadly one himself. The true master of RPI. Andrea P!! ClapClap

Premiata Forneria Marconi (PFM) - Storia Di Un Minuto CD (album) cover

STORIA DI UN MINUTO

Premiata Forneria Marconi (PFM)

Rock Progressivo Italiano

4.38 | 974 ratings

From Progarchives.com, the ultimate progressive rock music website

andrea
Prog Reviewer
5 stars When PFM released their first album, all the members of the band were already experienced musicians and their live performances were excellent. So, according to the band, they chose to record "Storia di un minuto" playing "live in studio" to keep the freshness of their concerts and the result was a "fresh" and very personal blending of progressive rock, classical influences and Italian folklore, powerful and delicate in the meantime.

The first track "Introduzione" is just a short introduction with reminiscences of King Crimson that leads to "Impressioni di settmbre" (September's Impressions), probably the best known PFM's song. Still echoes "from the Court of the Crimson King", while the suggestive lyrics written by Mogol "paint" the feelings of a man "looking for himself" in the countryside on a foggy September's morning. "How many dew-drops around me / I'm looking for the Sun but I can't find it / The country is still asleep, maybe not / It's awake, it's staring at me, I don't know / Already the smell of the soil, smell of grain / Comes up slowly towards me / And life beats softly in my chest / It breaths the fog, I think to you / How much green all around here and even further / The grass seem almost a sea / And my thoughts fly lightly and go away / I'm almost afraid they get lost... But in the meantime the Sun is leaking through the fog / As always the day will be!". The instrumental refrain is really catchy, with the powerful sound of the moog in the forefront, "à la Emerson Lake & Palmer" (according to the band, "Lucky Man" was really a source of inspiration for this track). The album version is slightly different and more dilated if compared to the single version that you can usually find in the anthologies (for instance in "Prime Impressioni" or "Gli anni settanta"). In 1973 "Impressioni di settembre" was released in English as "The World Become The World", with lyrics by Peter Sinfield. But I prefer by far the original version!

"E' festa" is another outstanding track. It's a kind of joyful and frenzy "Rock- Tarantella" almost completely instrumental with a short vocal part. "As always that's the feast of a light bird that keeps on flying." Here elements of Italian folklore are blended with classical influences. The English version of this song was released on "Photos Of Ghosts" as "Celebration", though in my opinion the Italian version is better.

The first part of "Dove. Quando." (Where. When.) is a dreamy and delicate ballad about a man longing for his sweetheart. The inspiration for the music comes from XV century and the shy vocals get along very well with melody and lyrics. "Where do you live? Where are you? / Just inside of me / What are you doing? How do you look? / Just as me / Inventing you here and there is an old game by now / It's already knocking the hurry of you. What would I do my love, what smile will you have? / From your ayes and noes what will I learn? / Serene princess from Heaven who will be mine / It's already knocking the hurry of you.". In the second part, completely instrumental, the band develop the theme of the first part trying to blend their classical influences with jazz and rock and the result is definitely good.

"La carrozza di Hans" (The carriage of Hans) is my favourite PFM's song. The piece is built up around the amazing guitar work of Franco Mussida. I dreamt many times to play it properly with my acoustic guitar and when I was a teenager Franco Mussida seemed to me like a merchant of musical dreams, but my guitar never turned from a "pumpkin" into a magnificent carriage like in Cinderella's fairy-tale. "Look! Search! Run far away, fly! / Hans the merchant is waiting for you, fly..." By the way, in this track there's not only amazing guitar technique to be found, but a perfect interaction between the guitar and the other instruments. The album version is slightly different from the single version, but I love them both.

The last track "Grazie davvero" (Thanks a lot) is another good track with a melancholic mood and lyrics about the rain that brings life to the world, the "ageless water" playing with the colours and sounding falling on a pond. "It's already raining / It rains softly, it rains on me. Thanks so much for living / Thanks for the day that's here / Thanks for the time that will come. It's already raining / It rains softly, it rains on me." A great finale for one of the most important albums of the Italian prog scene of the early seventies.

In the whole an album without weak moments and that helped to draw an Italian way to progressive rock. Essential in every prog collection!

and in the other corner..  Roxy Music.. reviewed by.. hah..  who else? ClapClap

Roxy Music - For Your Pleasure CD (album) cover

FOR YOUR PLEASURE

Roxy Music

Crossover Prog

4.04 | 220 ratings

From Progarchives.com, the ultimate progressive rock music website

tszirmay
Special Collaborator
Crossover Team
5 stars From a very great distance, a minuscule dot of light appears within the sepia-black universe, slowly, very deliberately expanding in size and scope, until the brightness becomes overpowering. Having succumbed to the Roxy style and musical genius as espoused on their debut album, at a time when in 1972 "no one dressed, sang or played like that 3 years after Woodstock", I was eagerly awaiting for the sophomore release with fearful disappointment (a very common 70s-80s failure rate in quality as greedy record companies pushed the hunger for cash). In tremblingly moist hands, I ripped, then raped the slimy transparent dust-cover plastic off the deliciously sultry cover art, opening up to the image of a glamorous, blue-laden decadence, complete with innuendoes of dislocated values, hints of fad-driven bisexuality (Hey Amanda Lear!) and a rebellious disdain for artistic conformity. My review must take into account that I have listened to this album to death, knowing the material inside out and having autopsied its body parts too! The material inside has been well documented as a descent into darker terrains , yet many do not realize that on tracks like the "Bogus Man", the band pursued the new electronic-prog of Tangerine Dream and infused it with Weather Report-like groove hypnosis ("Boogie Woogie Waltz") and created a new genre that would arise much later (dance electronica) . Ferry and company even foresaw the punk phenomenon, as "Editions of You" is the first punk song, five years before that genre landed soggily on the fad-fed scene! This is where one realizes that they are pioneers that would be oft adulated and even copied by many latter day bands. "Do the Strand" kicks off this masterpiece of music in an immaculate frenzy, blasting copious amounts of musical genius and stellar playing by all concerned, giving the Ferry crooner the platform to wail away with unabashed passion. Taking the various dances ("do the fandango!") and molding them into a pop-prog jewel requires incredible creative insight, playing with words that fit perfectly and rapturously. No band has ever mastered the intro and finale like Roxy Music (even in latter albums), this one halts on a majestic nod! Boom! The velvet curtain closes ! "Beauty Queen" is my all-time favorite Roxy tune, where Ferry's exalted lyrics (a magnificently underrated wordsmith, he is) burrow very deep into my romantic soul. Here is a sample of what I mean:

"Valerie please believe It never could work out The time to make plans Has passed, faded away Oooh the way you look Makes my starry eyes shiver Then I look away Too much for one day One thing we share Is an ideal of beauty Treasure so rare That even devils might care Your swimming-pool eyes In sea breezes they flutter The coconut tears Heavy-lidded they shed Swaying palms at your feet You're the pride of your street While you worship the sun Summer lover of fun Gold number with neighbours Who said that you'll go far Maybe someday be a star A fast mover like you And your dreams will all come true All of my hope, and my inspiration I drew from you Our life's pattern's drawn in sand But the winds could not erase The memory of your face Deep in the night Plying very strange cargo Our soul-ships pass by Solo trips to the stars - in the sky Gliding so far That the eye cannot follow Where do they go We'll never know"

I don't know about you but this is exceptional imagery when combined with Ferry's masterful delivery, proving what many knew already, a star was born! To think Bryan auditioned for King Crimson as Greg Lake's replacement just before Lizard! So did allegedly Elton John, by the way! Strange because Epitath remains my selected funeral hymn. I digress! "Strictly Confidential" is an oft overlooked gem that has a highly personal slant that eschews the usual pop-rock pap. A despairing Ferry falsetto glistens within a dirge-like osmosis of odd sounds and moods , "over the hills and down the valley", diving deep into the melancholic abyss, Mackay's oboe sobbing and Manzanera's axe dripping angrily, suave backing vocals salting the imagination. Magical moment indeed, halting on a dime! The blitzy-ritzy classic "Editions of You" remains a punky rock song for the record books, where "boys will be boys, will be boyoyoyz" cannot sound corny , a sexy sax blast gets the pot boiling , an Eno zipper on synth and another Manzanera guitar sortie that is pure shimmer and glaze! Needless to say the incredible Paul Thompson drums like a maniac one step away from percussive heaven. Another unexpected ending for the ages. What more can be said about "In Every Dream Home a Heartache", a synthesized innuendo- laden poem about modern decadence and the pursuit of material bliss ("Penthouse perfection",) where the genial lyrics hypnotize and beguile , some of the finest oddball words ever penned within a rock context (you can see Ferry smile as he sings "I dress you up daily") , the "Enossified" Manzanera leads are another innovation that RM engendered, years before the guitar-synth concretely unified the two instruments and the MIDI technology that came even later, proving the pioneering spirit growling behind the insanity! As I stated earlier, "The Bogus Man" represents an experimental milestone monument in rock history, another bewildering hypnosis of electronic scramblings from Brian, where bizarre noodlings and dissonant slashes of sound are well ensconced within another startling vocal performance from Bryan. A true testament to the visionary abilities of the band, creating music that stands the test of time (check out the growing "tchik-ahs" in the background) and spearheading future styles and trends. This is as proggy as RM will ever get, so lap it up, pretty poster girls and feathery boys! "Grey Lagoons" is not often mentioned (or played live) but is one of my favourite hidden gems, a reminder that the crooner Ferry learnt something from listening to his Elvis records. "Silver starfish" collide with Manzanera's at first rollicking guitar and that magical Mackay rasp, a sax solo that will stretch the boundaries until Ferry joins in with a whopping harmonica solo that would make Bob Dylan blush, finalized by another sizzling axe thunderbolt that proves Manzanera's 6 string prowess, once and for all. The title track is a return to the dreamy, Eno mist-infused, Thompson drum-infested, Ferry electric piano-led lament that again highlights the imperial lyrics and a dizzying vocal performance (the broken-voiced "You watch me walk away"). The band still uses this track to exit the players from the live stage, leaving only Mr. Thompson rifling away on his kit, within synthesized swirls of seagulled screams and squawks. I know full well that I am totally partial in my review of this personal icon but, not owning this jewel and the debut shames your collection into eternal nothingness. If you don't believe me, ask Raff!

I dedicate this review to Nicole Perret, my very first love with whom I reconnected with via the Internet after 38 years of silence , yesterday. Miracles do happen!

5 chauffeured limousines.

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2015 at 09:08
Storia Approve
Atkingani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2015 at 09:10
What a tough contest. Well, from now on that's what we'll have.

Storia by a tiny difference.
Guigo

~~~~~~
Kirillov View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2015 at 09:33
Oh blimey... very tough choice. Voted Roxy. Ta ra!

zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2015 at 09:45
Never a big PFM fan so I'll vote Roxy.
Magma America Great Make Again
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2015 at 10:01
Italians
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2015 at 10:09
easy choice really..

Raff was always more the Roxy fan than me.. I like their stuff.. and this album.

but man alive... that PFM album is life itself... put to music. 
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2015 at 10:19
ÉÉÉÉÉÉÉÉÉÉÉÉÉÉÉÉÉÉÉÉÉÉÉÉÉÉÉÉÉÉÉÉÉÉÉÉÉÉÉÉÉÉÉÉÉÉÉÉ FESTA!
- From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2015 at 10:38
PFM.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

The Bearded Bard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2015 at 11:20
Another one for Storia di un Minuto.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2015 at 11:23
yeah..not surprised to see the rout is on early. I think my in my pre-tournament predictions I had Storia di Minuto going all the way to the Quarterfinals (final 8) where it crashed out against my predicted finalist (and bottom half winner) Octopus.
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2015 at 16:32
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
Olape View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2015 at 17:25
Originally posted by GKR GKR wrote:

ÉÉÉÉÉÉÉÉÉÉÉÉÉÉÉÉÉÉÉÉÉÉÉÉÉÉÉÉÉÉÉÉÉÉÉÉÉÉÉÉÉÉÉÉÉÉÉÉ FESTA!

YESClap.
Wanorak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2015 at 18:47
Roxy!!
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!
t d wombat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2015 at 19:48
Virginia Plain is one of my all time favourite pop songs and I became a great fan of Eno. Always wanted to like Roxy but have this feeling that deep down inside they were/are shallow. Never saw them live but did go to a Ferry concert once. Damn it was boring. Nonetheless FYP is probably (for me) their best album.

Then again PFM is PFM is PFM and this one of their best. One of the things that makes me thankful for my brief time here has been to remind me how good they were. Could not vote otherwise.

Edited by t d wombat - July 28 2015 at 17:01
Andrew B

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.” ― Julius Henry Marx
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2015 at 19:55
Love 'em both, but PFM is far more exquisite.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2015 at 11:42
PFM quite easily, Roxy never really connected with me.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2015 at 13:10
PFM by a considerable distance.
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2015 at 13:45
Originally posted by tszirmay tszirmay wrote:

No, your review says a lot more

Not an easy choice. Big PFM fan, but especially because of the three albums that follow.
Roxy's first two are my favorite by them, so... minority vote for the Bogus Men...
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2015 at 17:27
Tough to vote against "In Every Dream Home a Heartache" but I gave the nod to PFM...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>