Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProg Starters: Why Don't They Always Take?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2015 at 16:30
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Like me, I'm sure you've all had friends that, though very appreciative of albums like Close to the Edge or Thick as a Brick, for some reason don't continue to explore prog as a style.   I was one of those friends for a long time, liking and impressed by those LPs just fine but hardly enamored enough to look into the whole "prog" spectrum, much too busy with the larger world of rock to afford the time or loot for the Tull or Yes or Crimson catalog; Hendrix, Zeppelin, Cream, Jeff Beck, CSN&Y, the Allmans, Sabbath, AC/DC, the Police.   Far too much on the menu to get caught-up in some convoluted and turgid art rock   Genesis was barely a blip on my radar, and Gentle Giant or Gryphon, well, good luck with that.   And it wasn't lack of exposure to higher forms as classical or jazz--  my parents always had plenty of that stuff around.

So what is it that tips the balance toward prog rock for someone with a normal rock-oriented background?   Time?   Listening experience?   Matured taste?   What?

hmmmm.....

background - nah.. I don't buy that at all. The prog village is a vast, muliti-cultural, blind to economic status, blind to education.  there is something perhaps.. but I don't buy anything relating to one's background.  That would assume there is a some sort of general commonality with prog fans and their background. Zero man.. we have leftist bomb throwers.. right wing neo-fascists.. rich, poor, highly educated and f**king stupid iditiots. Nope..

Time?  Ahh... perhaps we have something here.  I'd included a propensity to patience as well.  Hey I like pop and other 'low-brow' musical forms.. love them for reason fans of them are not inclined to be prog fans. Short sweet and too the point. Don't like a song.. f**k it... it is only lasting 2mins 50. Prog is an adventure ...  an exercize in exploration.  You have both the time and patience to explore. For all we love prog.. there are as many sh*tty boring wastes of time and money in the guise of prog albums as there are masterworks.

Listening experience?  - Not so sure about that either. Music for most is simply about emotions. If you are happy.. damnit you want music that extends that feeling.. and when sad.. you want music that makes you want to blow your head off.  I don't really understand any kind of notion of 'listening experience'  We are slaves to what we want to get out of music..  I don't think that ever really changes in a person David. I could be wrong but I can't see it. 

Matured Tastes?  - Hissss...  hell no.  That assumes that prog is a higher form of art than other musics. The f**k it is. It is different, not better, not worse, and lots of people. Look at the polls here LOL Have quite immature tastes. 

I'd tend to go with time and patience.. both of which many of us learn and gain as we get older.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2015 at 16:32
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

I'd tend to go with time and patience.. both of which many of us learn and gain as we get older.

I'd buy that.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2015 at 16:41

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

I'd buy that.

I'd bottle it and sell it.Thumbs Up I think it is the most likely reason for cases like you mention.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2015 at 16:45
As you point out, prog is "an adventure", and if one isn't yet willing to take that journey, it ain't gonna happen.  Music is an investment of time and energy, not just cash.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2015 at 16:47
^Absolutely. If you can't do the time, then don't drop that dime.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2015 at 16:51

As you point out, prog is "an adventure", and if one isn't yet willing to take that journey, it ain't gonna happen.  Music is an investment of time and energy, not just cash.

bingo.. and for old school music fans like you.. likeus.. pre-interneters if you will... it was that much more of an investment of time and energy. Music today is so easy to find and listen to, people are available 24/7 to suggest things to you. 

Not everyone has the time, not to mention the inclination as many like what they like (have been exposed to) and don't see the need or feel the desire to explore. With time though, and a passionate interest and love of music.. one is likely much more apt to feel the need to explore. Impatient explorers die quickly of thrist and of exposure in the harsh badlands of prog rock.. but with patience the oasis's of great fabulous albums that touch the heart and soul.. and yeah.. for some ... the mind... can be found.
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2015 at 17:35
For me, I think there was a component of intellectual stimulation to my original attraction to "art rock" or "album rock" (as I called it). This same intellectual appetite and curiosity eventually caused me to branch out toward the various subgenres of "classical" music and jazz. 

I know that there was also a significant emotional aspect coming from my personal appreciation of the extraordinary technical prowess coming from the instrumentalists. (I much preferred McLaughlin, Akkerman, Albrighton, Fripp, Gilmour, Hackett, Howe, Holdsworth and DiMeola to Page, Mayall, Clapton, Harrison, Lee, and even Hendrix--and still do.)

For me, drugs and alcohol had absolutely nothing to do with my musical tastes. 

Wait a minute! That may not be true! Maybe it was in fact my choice to avoid drugs and alcohol that made me more drawn to and appreciative of prog. . . . A topic for some research and a dissertation??
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2015 at 17:44
^ Well we all need vices
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2015 at 20:34
Curiosity is definitely one consideration.  On the flipside, there is peer pressure.  I don't know what it was like then but peer pressure certainly plays a big role...in discouraging people from exploring 'weird' music.  I've got labelled 'hipster' at one of my earlier employer's for listening to Radiohead (or reading Grisham etc).  Imagine if I had told them about Gentle Giant and such.  You have to have a pretty thick skin to keep the music you like all to yourself (outside of the internet) and not discuss it at all with anybody else...because you know finding a kindred soul is hard and probably not worth the effort.  The few prog fans I have met in person were all guys whom I had got introduced to on the net.  If you really like music so much that you don't give a flying f*** about the opinion of friends and acquaintances AND prog is something that interests you, then it can work out.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2015 at 20:44
^ I grew up in S.F., so if you weren't into something weird or underground you were doing something wrong.

rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2015 at 20:50
Right, totally different time and place.  
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2015 at 22:10
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Good pot?

No comment. Tongue
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2015 at 22:26
Sometimes it's just because I'm so used to listening to the most specific and weird stuff that I put people off and I have entirely different feelings than most people about music so if I show them what I've been listening to recently they are likely to write it off as 'me' music.
The Son of Gorp View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2015 at 22:34
I think it depends on what you want out of music in general. I always thought the music that sounded the best to me was one that was complex, but worked on every level of complexity it had. This led me to classic rock, then to prog rock, and now to progressive music in general. 

I always thought it was odd how people enjoyed pop when it sounded to me like it was all the same. I never thought that people would want that out of music, but not everyone wants what I want, surprisingly. So, I suppose it's a natural inclination to want something complex. 
When Da Zeuhl Wortz Mekanik, you just know.
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2015 at 17:40
When the pupil is ready, the teacher appears.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12