Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTull Fan Central: JT Appreciation Thread.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tull Fan Central: JT Appreciation Thread.
    Posted: July 27 2015 at 14:44
The official PA Jethro Tull appreciation lounge (or non  appriecation lounge, if your micky Wink).

Edited by SteveG - July 28 2015 at 15:52
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2015 at 14:47
Micky doesnt know what is good! (except if we begin to talk about Benefit, then I agree with Micky).

Hooray! Go Tull!

Edited by GKR - July 27 2015 at 14:47
- From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2015 at 14:48
john glascock

I give you the late John Glascock (1951-1979). Probably Tull's best bassist with an original 'clunky' sound and an almost metronomic sense of timing, that was breath taking at times when playing in conjunction with the equally talented Barrymore Barlow on drums. What do you think Mr. Glascock brought to great albums like Songs from The Woods? 

Edited by SteveG - July 28 2015 at 09:14
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2015 at 14:49
I'am excited because I just printed this image and put in the wall of my room. Big smile

GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2015 at 14:52
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

I give you the late John Glasscock. Probably Tull's best bassist with an original clunky sound and an almost metronomic sense of timing, that was breath taking at times when in conjunction with the equally talented Barrymore Barlow on drums. What do you think Mr. Glasscock brought to great albums like Songs from The Woods? 

A great musician! Dont forget his good backing vocals (not easy task for the lyrics and the way Ian sings). I feel he was always with the band, give his passion in the recordings or in the few videos we have with him playing with the band.

It really mark the final classic period of the band.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2015 at 21:49
Great band, though in most cases I prefer their live versions over the studio ones. Specially the ones I heard first live, when I got the studio albums I was sort of underwhelmed by the way the songs sounded. Kind of unfinished, as if they were just demos.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2015 at 22:10
One of the tiny handful of true survivors in rock, and a spectacular catalog of material.  A great, great, friggin' great band.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2015 at 22:11
Number 1 band for me. When Yes, Genesis and King Crimson tried to be as experimental as possible, Tull went back to mild prog option. Which is the right option imo. Although they did get a bit commercial sometimes they still produced plenty of songs in most years of the 70s and plenty of gems of which many appeared 20-40 years later down the track eg. Good godmother, Saturation, Glory row etc

Edited by dr prog - July 27 2015 at 22:14
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2015 at 22:14
And might I add they were tighter than a warlock's rectum.  Tightest in prog, me thinks, without losing their edge like Rush did.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2015 at 22:20
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

And might I add they were tighter than a warlock's rectum.  Tightest in prog, me thinks, without losing their edge like Rush did.

The only time they were a bit flat was around 75 and 76 imo. I used to think the same for 74 before Nightcap came out in the early 90s, then it got better again with the remaster and even better with the remix. I'll hold off on 1976 until the next remix is out. We may get an ep or even an album of new gems . Can't wait. But at this stage they top 3 bands of the 1970-74 period and 1977-1980 period imo.
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2015 at 23:38
The 3rd prog band I got into (following ELP & Yes) buying Minstrel in the Gallery when it 1st came out.  Saw them in '76, '77, '78, '79, '85 & '87 with the '78 show (opened by Uriah Heep) one of the top 3 prog shows I ever saw.  During the TaaB through Minstrel run they were top of the prog heap.  Don't really care much for the folk-prog of Songs from the Wood and Heavy Horses, but love Stormwatch.  After that when Ian busted up the core of the band sending Barriemore and John Evan packing it was never the same for me.  That said, I was surprised how much I love what Ian's done the past few years with TaaB2 and Homo Erraticus.

Took a boatload of pics at the '78 & '79 shows.  At their best live, Tull was like a 5 ring circus with everyone seemingly always doing something interesting musically or visually.  Here's some of my fave shots from '78:
Andrea Cortese View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2015 at 04:27
For me it was the second band I got into, the first being The Doors.

In few months it rapidly became my fav ever.

My first album was Stand Up. I remember it was very appreciated by all my friends. A monster album everyone listened to at the time (the 90s).

Then I got A Passion Play (the second Tull record I purchased) and in a blink of an eye I remained the one and only fan of Tull in the company...

Poor fellows... but things changed soon 'cause I left them for good and found new guys to share musical taste with.Tongue

Edited by Andrea Cortese - July 28 2015 at 06:18
the lighthouse keepe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2015 at 05:49
From their debut to Broadsword,Tull never let their fans down.Good albums included Songs From The Wood,Warchild,and Stormwatch.Very good albums varied from Aqualung to A Passion Play.Then there were the the "Crown Jewels"- Stand Up,Thick As A Brick,Minstrel in the Gallery,and surely one of the great live albums of the seventies Live:Bursting Out.
Now with the excellent re-issues available,these releases have never sounded better!
Sure Ian Anderson was the boss,but he had some great musicians at his disposal,not least Barriemore Barlow,a drummer on par with Bruford,Peart,Collins etc.
After Broadsword imho JT recorded some ok albums,but nothing came close to the glory days of the seventies.Rightly up there with the greats!Love Jethro Tull.
"Hello sun.Hello bird.
Hello my lady.
Hello breakfast.May I buy you
again tomorrow?"
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2015 at 08:10
My Tull Story: everything begun with Aqualung, Thick as a Brick and Songs From the Wood. It was the three first albums I listen. In the midst of so heavy metal I used to enjoy (I'am helead now, dont worry, guys), I always found something epic on Jethro Tull, and it stick with me.

From this three albums I dig all the rest and now every one of them is a personal favourite. I have no problems in enjoying Benefit as much as A Passion Play, Minstrel in the Gallery as much as Roots to Branches and so forth...

I hate when people start compering the albums: "A Passion Play doesnt sound like TAAB!", or "Benefit is good, but Stand Up is better". I guess Jethro Tull teach me how to apreciate different kind of sounds, and, in the oposite way of Heavy Metal, stop wanting to hear that extremly good sound in ALL releases of the group. Its one way I see Prog Rock also: a flow of rythms, everyhting you love play only one time and you have to enjoy THAT, hoping that something DIFFERENT will came along to enjoy as well.

Edited by GKR - July 28 2015 at 08:12
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2015 at 09:10
To me personally, there are so many different variants of Jethro Tull, either by changing band members or changing styles, that JT have always been intriguing to me. Some like the early material, some the mid term Tull and, some the later. Or like me, a strange mixture of old and new. So, Viva la Tull!

Edited by SteveG - July 28 2015 at 09:15
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2015 at 09:49
Unapologetically, Tull is my favorite band. They hit all my musical marks across a wide swathe of my favorite genres: blues, hard rock, jazz, prog and folk, and they did it with a panache, wit and irreverence that few, if any, other bands could muster, let alone strive to accomplish. Lyrically, compositionally and instrumentally, they were masterful -- again, something very rare in rock music.

The first ten studio albums were quite an accomplishment (eleven if you throw in the splendid Living in the Past, which I consider a separate album, and not merely a compilation). Some albums were, of course, better than others, but taken in total the era between 1968 -1979 was a pretty remarkable achievement.

Their best five albums, in my curmudgeonly (and decidedly correct) opinion, were as follows:

Aqualung
Thick as a Brick
Songs from the Wood
Stand Up
Living in the Past 

Throw in Minstrel in the Gallery, A Passion Play and Heavy Horses as excellent albums also. Again, remarkable if you consider this was all done in a little over a decade.Clap

Edited by The Dark Elf - December 15 2015 at 18:37
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2015 at 11:29
They've never been one of my favourite bands and probably never will be, but I have a lot of respect for them lyrically and musically.  I am also going through a re-appraisal period and have reviewed a couple of albums recently (Heavy Horses and Benefit), with more to come.  I always had a problem with Ian Anderson's voice over the long haul of a 40 minute album, and since the group was so vocal oriented, this was difficult to get around.  I'm a little easier on it now, but it still rankles at times.
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2015 at 11:55
Totally agree with Dark Elf. My favourites Tull albums are (chronologically only): Stand Up, Benefit, Aqualung TAAB, Living in the past (again, agree with Dark Elf), A Passion Play, Minstrel in the Gallery, Songs From The Wood, Crest of a Knave and Roots to Branches.

10 Favourite albums!?!? LOL ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Gully Foyle View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2015 at 11:57
My all time favorite band no questions

However - i didnt ever think of them as prog until i found this site in my 40's - after listening to Tull for 30 years!

I just thought hey, it's Tull - never remotely considered them in the same context as Crimson, or Yes, or others
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2015 at 12:11
By the way, Ken, I understand your view about Anderson's voice. Its not something easy...

By the way, I liked your reviews of Benefit and Heavy Horses. But HATED the one you wrote for Minstrel in the Gallery. Tongue
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>