Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTull Fan Central: JT Appreciation Thread.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 13>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2015 at 20:18
Originally posted by GKR GKR wrote:

By the way, Ken, I understand your view about Anderson's voice. Its not something easy...

By the way, I liked your reviews of Benefit and Heavy Horses. But HATED the one you wrote for Minstrel in the Gallery. Tongue

thank you!
haha might have something to do with the rating  Tongue
The thing I never understood is why people are so lukewarm about War Child, but I think it's because, if you were immersed in the TAAB/APP era, War Child could easily have been a disappointment.   I have yet to really properly listen to those earlier classics, so didn't have a bias against War Child.  But, after liking War Child, Minstrel just seemed really raw and unadorned to me, and I need my Ian Anderson wrapped in strings and buried in the mix.  Now, whatever you might say about Bungle in the Jungle, it is a song perfectly suited to Ian's voice

Edited by kenethlevine - July 28 2015 at 20:18
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2015 at 20:26
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

By the way, Ken, I understand your view about Anderson's voice. Its not something easy...

By the way, I liked your reviews of Benefit and Heavy Horses. But HATED the one you wrote for Minstrel in the Gallery. Tongue

thank you!
The thing I never understood is why people are so lukewarm about War Child, but I think it's because, if you were immersed in the TAAB/APP era, War Child could easily have been a disappointment.   I have yet to really properly listen to those earlier classics, so didn't have a bias against War Child.  But, after liking War Child, Minstrel just seemed really raw and unadorned to me, and I need my Ian Anderson wrapped in strings and buried in the mix.  Now, whatever you might say about Bungle in the Jungle, it is a song perfectly suited to Ian's voice

Understood. I dont have a bias against "War Child" (I like it), but the dark and the gloomy were not in the same way as APP, I guess...
Exaclty the raw and unadroned is the thing I like in Misntrel, especially when its combined with everyday life (Baker Street Muse).

I lik my meat (Anderson) both raw (Minstrel) and cooked (WarChild). Wink
- From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2015 at 20:27
[fan boy voice] Oh, cmon, put at least three stars to Minstrel! LOL
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2015 at 20:35

[fan boy voice] Oh, cmon, put at least three stars to Minstrel! LOL

Confused

I rarely re-review stuff, because there are so many other things I want to review for the first time.  And I cannot be bought!  Well, unless you have beachfront property in Brazil  LOL
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2015 at 20:40
Now we're talking...
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2015 at 20:44
Couldnt find the "Bribe Thread" of Progarchives... I doubt that I am the first.

For a beach house of Brazil I'll want the full 5 stars! LOL
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2015 at 21:39

Couldnt find the "Bribe Thread" of Progarchives... I doubt that I am the first.

For a beach house of Brazil I'll want the full 5 stars! LOL

I can't compromise myself that way.....   OK deal Smile
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2015 at 22:22
Minstrel lacks the great melody that Ian did so much before and after that album. It's more about strumming than fingerwork with the acoustics and there's a bit of repetition. The recording lacks the deep heavy feel in the bass, vocals and drums and there's not much keyboard either.
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2015 at 22:36
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

^I haven't listened to Under Wraps since the year (1982) when it was released. But I'll give it another shot. Tastes do change over time.

I don't even own a copy anymore....nor do I have Catfish or Rock Island.
I still play the early ones the most.....Stand Up, Benefit, Aqualung, Living..., Minstrel, TAAB, and Songs From The Wood.
Same here. Like most bands I enjoyed (except bands like The Beatles, who knew when to quit, or The Doors and Hendrix who died before they got crappy), my interest only goes up to a certain point. And then stops. Just like that.
Well, I take it that you're not vinyl collectors with over 4000 records. You don't collect that many by throwing out the ones you don't like.

I used to collect vinyl back in the day.....but I have always been picky about what I buy and at my peak I had about 1,000 pieces of  vinyl. When cd's came out I sold about half the vinyl...the ones I seldom  played.
I kept the prog ,rock , and jazz I liked. But at 500 pieces I'd still like to get rid of about half of it because I seldom play vinyl these days.

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2015 at 03:39
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

thank you!

Warchild was a soundtrack and the songs were composed in a certain way. Don't think they were all natural tull tracks. The ones written during the chateau session which made warchild seem more in the tull style and so are all the bonus tracks. Plus at least 2 or 3 of the other warchild tracks. But as it was released in 74 there were just too many happy poppy non tullish songs. But tull never dropped in quality in 74. Just because they tried to sound commercial in 5 of their 20 songs means there were plenty of fine tracks left over
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
Gully Foyle View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2015 at 06:32
Originally posted by Andrea Cortese Andrea Cortese wrote:

Am I the only one to love Under Wraps?

I always looked at it as the very last Tull record from the old era.
Ok not your typical JT record with all that damn drum machine but the sound is still very recognizable (and prog). The only low point is the opener imo.

i completely agree with you - 

in re: Mr. Anderson's ditching or Mr. Barre, its just completely ridiculous.  Mr. Anderson has certainly created some of my favorite things in the entire universe, and can do as he pleases, but...Mr. Barre was a huge component of Tull, and Ian is lesser without him.  Ian's ego is apparently so huge that even a completely self-effacing guitarist, who serves the music and is not a prima donna or seeking to upstage anyone, is a threat to his image.  That is sad.  And, frankly, these days Ian needs all the help he can get not to put out bland crap.

circling it all back round - i'd rather listen to Under Wraps than TAAB2 or Away With Words any day of the week and twice on sunday - the whole is greater by far than the sum of the parts.

in other news..
i have just recently acquired a few bootlegs of Tull from 71-78, and I am listening to those non-stop. miracles
Gully Foyle View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2015 at 06:34

[/QUOTE]

Just because they tried to sound commercial in 5 of their 20 songs means there were plenty of fine tracks left over[/QUOTE]

which 5?

edited - well, that didnt work the way i thought - quote and question to dr. prog

Edited by Gully Foyle - July 29 2015 at 06:35
Andrea Cortese View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2015 at 08:25
Originally posted by Gully Foyle Gully Foyle wrote:

Originally posted by Andrea Cortese Andrea Cortese wrote:

Am I the only one to love Under Wraps?

I always looked at it as the very last Tull record from the old era.
Ok not your typical JT record with all that damn drum machine but the sound is still very recognizable (and prog). The only low point is the opener imo.

i completely agree with you - 

in re: Mr. Anderson's ditching or Mr. Barre, its just completely ridiculous.  Mr. Anderson has certainly created some of my favorite things in the entire universe, and can do as he pleases, but...Mr. Barre was a huge component of Tull, and Ian is lesser without him.  Ian's ego is apparently so huge that even a completely self-effacing guitarist, who serves the music and is not a prima donna or seeking to upstage anyone, is a threat to his image.  That is sad.  And, frankly, these days Ian needs all the help he can get not to put out bland crap.

circling it all back round - i'd rather listen to Under Wraps than TAAB2 or Away With Words any day of the week and twice on sunday - the whole is greater by far than the sum of the parts.

in other news..
i have just recently acquired a few bootlegs of Tull from 71-78, and I am listening to those non-stop. miracles

ahahah Clap
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2015 at 08:32
I'll pull my hat off for that also. And the guys:

ClapClap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap ClapClap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2015 at 08:36
I not only would, but also I do actually listen to UW more than TAAB2 (and Homo Erraticus).
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2015 at 08:44
^These are three of my least favorite Tull/Anderson albums, but se la vie! Tongue

Edited by SteveG - July 29 2015 at 08:50
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2015 at 09:56
Theres only one track of TAAB2 that I go back often (wont say which), but Away with Words I actually listen quite a lot.

About Under Wraps... well... "Keep it quiet! (go slow)"
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2015 at 10:03
Circulate. Need to know.
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2015 at 10:08
Well, at least stamp the date upon your file... it will be masquerade, but maybe well worth while.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2015 at 10:13
You be careful how you go, about your usual businessWink

Edited by Andrea Cortese - July 29 2015 at 10:13
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 13>