Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTull Fan Central: JT Appreciation Thread.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 13>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2015 at 12:42
Almost a APP lyric:
Stop yer pointless bickering
Disagree in reasoned (!)
and non acrimonious prose-ing

- From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.
RockHound View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2015 at 18:25
I don't remember any titties, per se, in APP. 

But I do remember something about the bony shoulder of a young horse named George, who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2015 at 18:58
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

In 45 years of listening to Tull I have never heard anyone come to that conclusion.

So my experience with someone who did never happened. How arrogant, 'Elf.

Arrogant? Considering you cannot even offer literary context or historical perspective for making the claim, I will deftly drop the Manson idea into the "Someone pulled it out of their ass" circular file.

Well, look at you.

No, look at you and your half-baked comment. You come in from left field saying you heard that specified lines from APP involved Charles Manson and Helter Skelter. You don't know where you heard it, who said it, or in what possible context those line have to do with Manson.

Given the lines, and the context of how they fit in with the 4th act of A Passion Play, I see absolutely no correlation. And given that the lyrics of APP have been discussed over and over for decades, and the lyrics have been actually researched by a number of people, I simply stated, in the innumerable discussions I have been privy to, that in 45 years I, myself, have never heard such a statement, nor have I seen such a statement made on the 3 or 4 Tull sites I frequent, including the one dedicated solely to researching APP.

But please, continue with your one line non-sequiturs.  Perhaps something worthwhile will come out, given that, statistically-speaking, anything might occur eventually.

"Doctor, I'm afraid it's worse than Detroit."
"It's imperative then that he sticks his head up a dead bear's as.... ."
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2015 at 22:01
Originally posted by RockHound RockHound wrote:

I don't remember any titties, per se, in APP. 

But I do remember something about the bony shoulder of a young horse named George, who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision.

Clap
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2015 at 22:02
"Young horse" is some kind of word play in english? A young and strong lad, something like that? Or they are really saying the actual animal horse?

APP is strange enough to rise this question. LOL

Edited by GKR - August 02 2015 at 22:03
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2015 at 22:26

Which songs from 1971 do you consider strong in composition and delivery?

aqualung-YES
cross eyed mary-YES
up to me-YES
mother goose-YES
wondring aloud-YES
cheap day return-YES
my god-NO
hymn 43-NOT BAD
locomotive breath-NOT BAD
slipstream-NOT BAD
wind up-NO
lick your fingers clean-NOT BAD
just trying to be-YES
wondering again-YES
life is a long song-YES
up the pool-YES
from later-YES
dr bogenbroom-YES
nursie-NOT BAD
hymn 43(quad version)-YES
wind up(early version)-NOT BAD
my god(quad version)-NOT BAD

Edited by dr prog - August 03 2015 at 16:05
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2015 at 23:50
Why "no" to "my god" and "wind up"? "Wind up" is a good closure to the album, does that count as "delivery"?
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2015 at 15:59
Originally posted by GKR GKR wrote:

Why "no" to "my god" and "wind up"? "Wind up" is a good closure to the album, does that count as "delivery"?

Worst vocal performances on the album. Don't like the verses on wind up with that crappy guitar work from martin. Don't mind the early version though. Has piano and bass instead of guitar and the vocals are different. The quad version of My God has better vocals
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2015 at 16:17
I agree that Wind Up was over kill, we all got Ian's message with My God and Hymn 43, but I thought My God was quite good and very Sabbath sounding for a Tull song.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2015 at 17:05
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

I agree that Wind Up was over kill, we all got Ian's message with My God and Hymn 43, but I thought My God was quite good and very Sabbath sounding for a Tull song.

You heard the quads of hymn 43 and my god? The vocals are the difference. I finally enjoyed hymn 43 when I heard the quad. It's close to my fave song from the session now but I still don't bother with the original due to the overbearing vocals. My god quad is a decent listen but the original has grinding squeely vocals which make listening to the song a bit of a repetitive chore. Check out the quads if you can
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2015 at 17:55
Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

You heard the quads of hymn 43 and my god? The vocals are the difference. I finally enjoyed hymn 43 when I heard the quad. It's close to my fave song from the session now but I still don't bother with the original due to the overbearing vocals. My god quad is a decent listen but the original has grinding squeely vocals which make listening to the song a bit of a repetitive chore. Check out the quads if you can

I've always enjoyed both songs and never heard the quad versions, so I'am a bit lost with all this.

I'am going to check them out and be right back. Wink
Gully Foyle View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2015 at 19:23
i pretty much never ever listen to aqualung - but, i have heard a number of live versions of my god which i find very nice indeed...especially the very early recordings

also, i really like parts of wind up - though it descends into a kind of boring blooz-rock rave up that i could do without.  were it one of tull's short little nuggets of gold, ending right before the blooz-rock rave up, it would be a classic
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2015 at 19:25
i am going to raise another track - one which i have always really liked, but recently heard a live version on which rekindled my love - this is Crazed Institution from Too Old - i think this is a great little track.

i know that not many people share my love of too old (except for title track, which i loathe), but what do folks think of Crazed Institution?
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2015 at 20:01
About the Aqualung tracks mentioned above... didnt really move me, but it was interesting listening ho things could be different with little changes...

About being crazy about Crazed Institution.... I'AM TOO, gully! I atually LOVE "Crazed Institution" and "Pied Piper"... Glascock backing vocals, the mood... oh boy, I certainly enjoy them a part from the album.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2015 at 20:06
and here is another thing i've been thinking about tull recently - over the years i have raved about some of the drummers (bunker, barlow), bassists (cornick, glascock (ok, jeffery too, but not purely as a bassist), of course Martin's guitar, and Ian's guitar and vocals and writing

but...for some reason as i have been bingeing on tull recently, it struck me that the key element to their sound might just be the one guy i never thought about - John Evan.  He is masterful, and so many songs actually rely on him as the engine that makes it all move, or as the texture that knits it all together.  something to consider, in any event.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2015 at 20:08
Crazed Institution is a fine track but not as good as Saboteur (man, those synths!)
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2015 at 20:15
Originally posted by Gully Foyle Gully Foyle wrote:

but...for some reason as i have been bingeing on tull recently, it struck me that the key element to their sound might just be the one guy i never thought about - John Evan.  He is masterful, and so many songs actually rely on him as the engine that makes it all move, or as the texture that knits it all together.  something to consider, in any event.
ClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClap

Finally! I worte that in some review I made from some JT album (cant really remember, maybe MITG). But the key track for me is "Baker Street Muse", its like all concept of the song is stich together by his playing, but everyone keep looking to Ian's guitar. PLUS, "Heavy Horses". Plus.... everything else.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2015 at 20:21
GKR we have much in common - politically as well I surmise.

What do you think on this: Ian is probably a vicious Tory b*****d, but i try not to think about it.
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2015 at 20:31
The kind of idol I dont want to know to not destroy my image of him... yes.

Man... I would invite you to a barbacue (the gastronomic especiality of my region) if you live a bit more close. LOL

Edited by GKR - August 03 2015 at 20:32
Andrea Cortese View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2015 at 06:40
Originally posted by Gully Foyle Gully Foyle wrote:

i am going to raise another track - one which i have always really liked, but recently heard a live version on which rekindled my love - this is Crazed Institution from Too Old - i think this is a great little track.

i know that not many people share my love of too old (except for title track, which i loathe), but what do folks think of Crazed Institution?

Love it too. It's way better than "Quiz Kid" if you ask meWink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 13>