Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTull Fan Central: JT Appreciation Thread.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 13>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2015 at 20:26
By the way, still no sign of the "Too old for rock'n roll" 40th anniversary box set... anyone have some news?
- From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.
RockHound View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2015 at 21:06
Originally posted by Gully Foyle Gully Foyle wrote:

but...for some reason as i have been bingeing on tull recently, it struck me that the key element to their sound might just be the one guy i never thought about - John Evan.  He is masterful, and so many songs actually rely on him as the engine that makes it all move, or as the texture that knits it all together.  something to consider, in any event.

John Evan was one of the greatest parts of the Tull sound, and yet he is largely unheralded. His keyboard work in the "Do You Believe in the Day" passage of TAAB never gets old. He really bloomed on Aqualung, and his work maintained an exceptionally high standard through the end of his tenure with the band.

He also was a blast to watch on stage - he was able to play some very delicate passages, even while doing his hilarious Frankenstein on keys act.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2015 at 16:52
Because former Tull members like Evan were childhood friends of Anderson, I think they get short shrift from a lot of Tull fans. Evan, Barlow and Hammond were absolutely world class musicians.

Edited by SteveG - August 06 2015 at 14:53
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2015 at 20:21
Speaking about John Evan... does anyone know were we can see interviews with him? I saw him at the documentary of JT of... 2008? It was a shame that he was unavaible to talk about A Passion Play in the box set...

I love to escape from Ian Anderson views of JT music. The comments of Martin Barre and Barrie Barlow are always great...
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2015 at 04:34

GKR we have much in common - politically as well I surmise.

What do you think on this: Ian is probably a vicious Tory b*****d, but i try not to think about it.

I don't think Ian's political views are easy enough to categorize to line up with any particular political party. Most of his political activism these days revolve around treatment for deep vein thrombosis and of wildlife conservation which could be as much of a Green Party as a "High Tory" thing.

You're sure you're not getting him confused with Rick Wakeman?
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2015 at 07:28
Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

GKR we have much in common - politically as well I surmise.

What do you think on this: Ian is probably a vicious Tory b*****d, but i try not to think about it.

I don't think Ian's political views are easy enough to categorize to line up with any particular political party. Most of his political activism these days revolve around treatment for deep vein thrombosis and of wildlife conservation which could be as much of a Green Party as a "High Tory" thing.

You're sure you're not getting him confused with Rick Wakeman?

OOOHHH!!! NOW I understand Gully comment. Sorry, I didnt know what "Tory" means!!!

Well, yes, there is a great chunk of conservadorism in Anderson's poetry, sometimes. "Working joe, working john" is about how everyone is the same and have their own problems... almost the opposite of "Working all day" from Gentle Giant, that shows class differences. But I never saw Ian speaking about his political ideals directly.

Wildlife and deep vein trombosis are important things but they did not show exactly a political position of someone. You can do what Ian's doing and be a great Marxist... or Tory. LOL
progrockdeepcuts View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2015 at 12:05
Originally posted by GKR GKR wrote:

Can we go to the part we discuss A Passion Play? Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaassee???

It's my favorite album of all time, right up there with Zappa's Uncle Meat and Cardiacs Sing to God.

Listen to older shows here: mixcloud.com/progrockdeepcuts/
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2015 at 03:18
Interesting discussion of Ian Anderson's political views. I don't think he's ever been as politically inclined as Frank Zappa, whose loyalties were to the libertarian right if I remember correctly, or the Henry Cow folks whom I think were/are Maoists or something similar. It's a while ago that I read any interviews with IA, he seems to be more informed by a general disillusionment with modern civilization than any "higher-case" ideology.

Going by the UK politics I'd wager he probably voted for the Green Party last time around, that sector of the Tories I mentioned has been somewhat sidelined after Margaret Thatcher took the helm even if it's got its representatives like Prince Charles for instance, or Roger Scruton if we're gonna look to the academic world.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2015 at 10:08
Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

Interesting discussion of Ian Anderson's political views. I don't think he's ever been as politically inclined as Frank Zappa, whose loyalties were to the libertarian right if I remember correctly, or the Henry Cow folks whom I think were/are Maoists or something similar. It's a while ago that I read any interviews with IA, he seems to be more informed by a general disillusionment with modern civilization than any "higher-case" ideology.

Going by the UK politics I'd wager he probably voted for the Green Party last time around, that sector of the Tories I mentioned has been somewhat sidelined after Margaret Thatcher took the helm even if it's got its representatives like Prince Charles for instance, or Roger Scruton if we're gonna look to the academic world.

Well, I cant comment on english politics so closely, "who voted in who" because I wont even be able to give all parties names. LOL
Are you sure Henry Cow identify themselves as maoists?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2015 at 10:15
I remember reading so in an interview, but I'm not really sure since I'm only fleetingly familiar with the group.

Wait a second, wasn't this supposed to be a Jethro Tull thread? I don't know if the fansite Cup of Wonder has been linked here yet in this thread, but it's full of in-depth analysis of their lyrics. I remember the site making quite a few political interpretations of some of the metaphorical layers in Thick as a Brick.

Anderson's lyrics are usually too cryptic to derive clear political stances from. Like I say, he's not Frank Zappa, for better or for worse...
BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2015 at 01:23

Found this Cartoon a few years ago......my wife laughed!!!
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2015 at 09:27
^Clap Wow, a good one!
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2015 at 10:24
^^^ I guess no one posted, but indeed Cup of Wonder is a great website. I visit it often.

My father and mother are always asking, doesnt matter what I'am hearing: "Is this Jethro Tull?", because its more likely they got the answer right! LOL
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2015 at 13:06
shameless plug - I reviewed Aqualung  Tongue
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2015 at 17:26
Excited about the Too old to RnR remix coming out soon. At this point there should at least be 5 additional studio tracks but the more I hear about it the more songs are included. The unreleased tracks will probably be the best on the whole 2 cd package I'm sure
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2015 at 07:17
Jethro Tull: Rock Opera are confirmed in my town!!!

I climbing the walls in joy!
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2015 at 11:54
Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

Excited about the Too old to RnR remix coming out soon. At this point there should at least be 5 additional studio tracks but the more I hear about it the more songs are included. The unreleased tracks will probably be the best on the whole 2 cd package I'm sure

Following what's ahead of them, that's pretty much assured.'Tull's first poor offering.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2015 at 15:59
Originally posted by GKR GKR wrote:

Jethro Tull: Rock Opera are confirmed in my town!!!

I climbing the walls in joy!
Wonderful! But is it based on an album or songs by Jethro Tull, or is it about Jethro Tull the band?
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2015 at 16:07
As far as I saw Ian Anderson himself explaining, the idea is to tell the story of Jethro Tull (seed drill guy) on near future with old Tull songs (lyrics slightly altered).
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2015 at 08:40
Hey Steve. I am a huge fan of JT . I didn't note to this section of forums and I didn't read all of 8 pages. Are you guys discuss about J-Tull Dot com or not ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 13>