Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedVola for Heavy Prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2015 at 15:20
Originally posted by darksinger darksinger wrote:

What is ETA for a band being added once it is suggested?

It depends really. On a lot of different things but mostly on whether or not the team in question has a lot on it's plate.
Some times bands get added very swiftly other times it can take a while.

Edited by Guldbamsen - October 09 2015 at 15:25
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2015 at 17:06
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Originally posted by jayem jayem wrote:

How fair is it, that someone made the effort of providing a bio, if the band is later rejected ?

To be fair, I'm fairly certain they didn't know Vola would end up being rejectedWink
Things happen.

I'm sure. And I DID see aapatsos' "if" on the original response to my first query, so I knew it was possible. I'm just confused . . . I thought I knew what "progressive rock music" was . . . I guess I don't . . . .
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2015 at 17:19
^ everyone has different perspectives. VOLA are indeed a very interesting act (at least for me) and what they do sounds fairly different/innovative (again, speaking for me). However, I think the team did not found enough actual "prog" in their music (there might be some progressive elements) to warrant inclusion.

I was personally unsure but there were no positive votes from any of the team members which I think tells a lot.

Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2015 at 17:19
Originally posted by rdtprog rdtprog wrote:

brufordfreak : Vola have been rejected from the PM team, so they will not be included in PA

aapatsos Metal -> Rejected

To say that they will not be included in PA because they were rejected by the PM team is not necessarily true, is it? There are other teams that have picked up bands like Vola:  Experimental/Post Metal have Tool and The Gabriel Construct; Tech/Extreme Metal have Meshuggah and Leprous.
Drew Fisher
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2015 at 02:03
^ the PM team covers all metal genres...
rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2015 at 03:41
Metal Music archives covers all metal genres i presume.... You can send a suggestion for Vola in the Forum :
in this section : Suggest new bands/artists to MMA

Music is the refuge of souls ulcerated by happiness.

Emile M. Cioran

Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2015 at 21:21
Originally posted by aapatsos aapatsos wrote:

^ everyone has different perspectives. VOLA are indeed a very interesting act (at least for me) and what they do sounds fairly different/innovative (again, speaking for me). However, I think the team did not found enough actual "prog" in their music (there might be some progressive elements) to warrant inclusion.

I was personally unsure but there were no positive votes from any of the team members which I think tells a lot.

Thank you, Thanos. 

I am saddened but . . . life goes on.
Drew Fisher
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2015 at 21:22
Originally posted by aapatsos aapatsos wrote:

^ the PM team covers all metal genres...

I did not know this--though I had kind of figured it out when l went looking for other collaborator groups to send VOLA to.Embarrassed
Drew Fisher
haklepola View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2015 at 16:55
I am very surprised and also disappointed that Vola is not seen as "Prog" by the wonderful people that run ProgArchives. I am Progfan since 30 years, I love everything from old school Progrock, old Genesis, Yes, King Crimson, Gentle Giant (and many more) to Progmetal from Rush, Dream Theater, Symphony X, Pain of Salvation, Opeth (and many more). But there is a "new wave" of Progressive Rock/Metal occurring since a couple of years that is transcending the boundaries to alleged "non-prog" music especially originating in 80ies pop. But undoubtedly this is music with a metal and a prog edge. Bands like Leprous, Caligula's Horse, even Haken and, of course, VOLA, are incredibly brutal, experimental (innovative) and beautiful at the same time. VOLA's album Inmazes alone is - in this perspective - more Prog than the last 3,4 Dream Theater albums (and i am a big, big Dream Theater fan, have seen them more than 20 times live). Therefore I ask you to reconsider the decision to exclude VOLA from ProgArchives. Just my 2 cents!Smile

Edited by haklepola - October 18 2015 at 17:11
Komandant Shamal View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2015 at 23:10
there is nothing of Progressive Rock aesthetic in their music. that smooth, one-dimensional mixture of Hard Rock guitar riffs and Dream Pop vocals, thats pretty far from Prog.

It's a gifted band without a doubt, it is the music that is so pleasant to listening to that we can say even that the Vola is a "radio-friendly" band, but it's not Prog Rock at all.

haklepola View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2015 at 16:59
If we always knew "in advance" (or by a written or unwritten proglaw) - and for eternity - what the real nature of "prog" is, progressive Rock and Metal could never exist because transcending or pushing the boundaries in popular (Rock and Metal) music would never be possible (or is allowed but could not be filed under Prog ironically). Rock and Metal music, in this case, only exist and will exist as regressive Rock/Metal, even in "Prog". To give you an example: Indeed, Neal Morse Band and Dream Theater are now, 2015, "regressive" Rock and Metal in this sense (and I still like it a lot despite it is incredibly boring). Vola, on the other hand, is fresh, innovative, it is polyrhythmic, it has melodic counterpoints, it has 70ies and 80ies vibes, and it is (still) so "Metal" that you can bang your head...Smile Most important, as a criterion for Prog, it pushes the boundaries in Metal music by making Meshuggah riffs radio-friendly....

Edited by haklepola - October 19 2015 at 17:06
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2015 at 20:51

^^^^ i can see that you are a big, big fan of VOLA [i think so because it's quite rarely that a newbie with zero posts came straight to this subforum just to ask that already rejected band have to be reconsidered again] so you are free to write a whole book about VOLA as a hardcore fan of the band, but it can not put VOLA in the Prog Archives until VOLA eventually change their music direction towards Progressive Rock [what i dont believe that will happen in a near future due to the fact that currently they are too far from Prog].

tbonson04 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2015 at 22:29
Too far from prog? I'm sorry your outdated narrow view of prog doesn't find relevance in the modern age. It must difficult to know your unchanging, antiquated, and stubborn views on music reflect the very ideas prog music tries to defy. It is your right to believe Vola is not prog, but don't belittle people for believing they are.

Edited by tbonson04 - October 19 2015 at 22:30
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2015 at 22:51

^^^^ 8 posts?! hey man you're four times bigger connoisseur regards what is / what is not PA material than you colleague who wrote 2 posts in total at the PA Forum in this very moment!LOL

Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2015 at 22:57
A+
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
tbonson04 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2015 at 23:01
Just shows how sad your life is that you judge the quality of a person on the amount of posts they create on a website. I judge you on your comments. The quality of person you reveal yourself to be is that of a feeble troll who derives his false sense of superiority from ineffectual means. Have fun with your sad life.
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2015 at 00:12
Well there you go taking it too far and becoming a hypocrite.

I'm pretty sure Shamal's post was sincere and you turn around and look like an asshat. Great work. 

Edited by Horizons - October 20 2015 at 00:31
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
haklepola View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2015 at 15:49
I didn't know that having and articulating an opinion is not well received as long as you don't have at least xxx posts at this holy prog website. Therefore, dear Shamal, please tell me how many posts I have to write exactly until I am accepted to articulate an opinion. However, why you take my claim to consider VOLA as Prog so serious? I have no problem to accept the decision to not include VOLA in your precious archive, trust me (it was a kind of democratic decision I suppose). But I like to express an opinion and I also like to argue with fellow Progfans. It's fun to deliberate on Prog issues as long as you don't insult others - and I really don't want to insult people with other opinions than me. And I am a big fan of Prog music in general, not only VOLA (the two bands I like most at the moment are LEPROUS and HAKEN, by the way). Conciliatory proposal: Couldn't we find a compromise that VOLA is "prog-related" somehow?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2015 at 20:11

^^^^nope.

jayem View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2015 at 04:38
There are very subtle patterns, and structures are more complex that in typical pop songs indeed. 

Maybe it cannot be called prog because the main line and main beats are very much emphasized, while in prog non-lead lines, along with subbeats, are relatively enhanced.

Provided we agree on calling their style "Prog Power/Heavy Pop" :

If it were "Pop Power Heavy Prog"  it'd be prog.
If it is "Prog Power/Heavy Pop" it'll be classified in the prog subgenres of pop.

Well ?... 

Anyway many prog lovers are likely to enjoy that music; so why not create a "Prog Pop" thread in the General Music Discussions 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>