Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedVola for Heavy Prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2015 at 05:41
for example, Destiny Potato are far more complex than VOLA and yet the Destiny Potato's lead guitarist David Maxim Micic is already in the Prog Archives' Progressive Metal section as a solo artist as well, but Destiny Potato are also [heavy] Pop not Prog, so unanimously rejected for the Prog Archives.

Edited by Komandant Shamal - October 21 2015 at 08:09
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2015 at 09:19
On one hand... they sound a bit like Mew and a couple lighter prog metal bands, but they definitely have a more commercial sound. There's no extremely odd compositional choices, a couple 'proggy' parts but it doesn't feel like an integral part of their sound.

I would say to keep a seriously close eye on them because they are teetering between prog and not, though they aren't famous enough to be considered for 'prog-related.' I would say their inclusion would be determined by their next release and what direction they decide to take.
tbonson04 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2015 at 09:32
Very good point. I'm a huge fan of Vola and can settle for that. My expectations for their next album are high anyway. I think we can expect to see more complex arrangements and less focus on the singer. 
Komandant Shamal View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2015 at 10:32
re VOLA's steps in the future, i think that VOLA are the band who sincerely aspire for a certain mainstreamy popularity, that they already found their distinctive HEAVY POP style and that they are actually happy with their current style and 'feel', that they know very well how good they are at their own style and that their fan base grows, so they dont need any Prog. so i doubt that their next album will be Prog. But we'll see after all.
personally, I REALLY DO WISH all the best to VOLA in their future plans - WHATEVER IT IS.

Edited by Komandant Shamal - October 21 2015 at 10:50
tbonson04 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2015 at 13:07
True, but like most bands in the genre that boarders prog (karnivool, rishloo, etc) there is a trend to stear to more prog tendencies after a breakthrough album. Judging on the band alone, there is a somewhat high likelihood to stay the same, but judging overall in the genre, there is a higher likelihood they will go the way of prog. 
backtothegarden View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2015 at 08:26
I just want them to write another good record.  

One can only hope that they are completely indifferent to the whims of those who define a genre, which, by its very nature, ignores boundaries and definitions.  In this light, this type of rejection is an accomplishment.

Inmazes is a great album.  Buy it now, without listening to it.  Oh wait, it's free.  Even better.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2015 at 11:53
Prog is not a badge of honour you know. In fact most members on here love all kinds of different genres/styles. Just because something is to one's liking and vaguely experimental doesn't necessarily mean that it's prog.....the music doesn't lose anything by it. We are after all merely talking stickers here.
....and this is coming from a Dane who really digs Vola yet at the same time doesn't feel they fit on PA. I really dig The Fall as well, which were and are a lot more experimental and progressive in their approach to rock, yet don't really fit in on PA either.

Edited by Guldbamsen - October 29 2015 at 12:12
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123