Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRelics: Pink Floyd

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2015 at 15:41
What's really interesting about "Sunshine" is the organ is basically playing the riff that starts Syd Barrett's "Opel".

Here's "Sunshine". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPIr__d91uI
Pay attention to 0:08 to 0:19.

Now compare with the opening to "Opel". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioyZ5ESV-bU
First 11 seconds.

Maybe this needs a thread of it's own. On a dedicated Pink Floyd site as well.

But back to "Relics". It's a great comforta album
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2015 at 16:18
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I remember when Echoes (the compilation) hit the street here in Denmark. It was Christmas time and just about every father wound up with a copy - mine not included (he is from 42, which means he is more of a Everly Brothers early Beatles kinda fella). My best friend at the time got it too and was completely over the moon. We met up on boxing day for a few beers and some space tobacco and almost immediately popped Echoes on his stereo.

Man--  does anyone just sit and listen to an 'album' anymore?  

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2015 at 16:51
I do
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2015 at 11:52
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I remember when Echoes (the compilation) hit the street here in Denmark. It was Christmas time and just about every father wound up with a copy - mine not included (he is from 42, which means he is more of a Everly Brothers early Beatles kinda fella). My best friend at the time got it too and was completely over the moon. We met up on boxing day for a few beers and some space tobacco and almost immediately popped Echoes on his stereo.

Man--  does anyone just sit and listen to an 'album' anymore?  

Aside From Relics, and perhaps Echoes form PF and Tull's Living In The Past, I can't think of any other prog compilation albums that can seamlessly flow along the way the songs of Relics do, nor can I think of any other prog compilations then these that were popular. Prog compilations are sort of the antithesis of the prog aesthetic, I would think.

But have no contempt for "best of" albums. In the rock idiom, they gave kids that didn't have too much coin the ability to purchase the best songs available from their heroes without the unnecessary filler. Two artists that come to mind are Hendrix-Greatest Hits and Eagles' Greatests Hits Vols. 1&2.

Edited by SteveG - August 01 2015 at 12:24
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2015 at 21:11
You're absolutely right, Dean.  I overlooked the "when" and "why" of Relics.....and in this light, it's far from a flop or a fraud; in fact, it's essential.  Relics was a great find for me on cassette in the early 80s....that and Nice Pair double LP of Saucerful and Piper....opened my teenage eyes beyond the ubiquitous Wall and FM staples.
I was speaking more of our current rash of rereleases.....the entire catalog has been reboxed too many times for us not to be able to get some of those unreleased bits.  And Relics has also been remastered and repackaged - it's this collection that I call a failure.  That, and things like string of hits packages dating back to the Collection of Dance Music compilation.  The catalog has been done over too often to not open the vaults a little more than the sliver we've been allowed to see.
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2015 at 23:04
Originally posted by AZF AZF wrote:

What's really interesting about "Sunshine" is the organ is basically playing the riff that starts Syd Barrett's "Opel".

Here's "Sunshine". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPIr__d91uI
Pay attention to 0:08 to 0:19.

Now compare with the opening to "Opel". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioyZ5ESV-bU
First 11 seconds.

Maybe this needs a thread of it's own. On a dedicated Pink Floyd site as well.

But back to "Relics". It's a great comforta album

Now, where did the subject of "Sunshine" come from? However, if I remember correctly, wasn't that some sort of alternate version for Jugband Blues? I remember hearing something of it once a while ago, I sort of remember liking it, but being rather incomplete, however I do would like to get a good version from it, or some live version of Jugband Blues (perhaps already with Gilmour)... I think that song has some brilliance in it, but the war band in the middle just ruins it for me. However, the lyrics are just haunting, specially considering the state of mind Barrett was in... it would seem he was somewhat aware of it and how it was affecting the band "It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here, And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear that I'm not here".
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2015 at 05:25
Has anyone heard of the EMI collection A Movement Is Accomplished in Six Stages?  It's has a great collection of Syd-era tracks, most of them unreleased.  I also remember a friend bought the outrageously overpriced Shine On collection with the bonus disc of Syd-era singles.  I have an old cassette bootleg called that collects some great Syd tracks, but I don't play it 'cause the next time I do could be its last.....it's old, wobbly and patched together with tape.  I was hoping Floyd's 50th anniversary would bring some goodies.....nothing yet; let's wait for Xmas.
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2015 at 09:44
I have a 3-disc box set called "Crazy Diamond" that does a nice job of pulling together most of Syd's solo work and rarities.

As for Relics it is one of the few compilations I truly enjoy. 

dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2015 at 17:24
Paintbox is their best song of the 60s no doubt

Edited by dr prog - August 02 2015 at 17:25
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
KingCrInuYasha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2015 at 01:11
At least it's one of Rick's better tunes from the era. Much better than "It Would Be So Nice", at least.
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
Michael678 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2015 at 07:48
Good representation of late 60's Floyd before Atom Heart Mother started the ascent. Arnold Layne, See Emily Play, Bike, Interstellar Overdrive, and Remember a Day are my personal favorites.
Progrockdude
jackson1066 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2016 at 17:03
Some of my favorite PF songs are on it.  To me it's essential, even though it's missing important material and is somewhat redundant.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12