Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Which album took the most listens to appreciate?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhich album took the most listens to appreciate?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2015 at 09:32
Of the classics, I'd say Relayer. The first time I heard it, when I was in my late teens, I didn't particularly like it, and it took me over 30 years to actually "get" it.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2015 at 12:24
Originally posted by condor condor wrote:

I'm having trouble picking one for myself. Probably Tales from Topographic Oceans.

You nailed it from the start.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2015 at 12:34
Tales, definitely.  But it sure was worth the trouble.Big smile
akaBona View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2015 at 17:58
Pink Floyd Animals. It took decades to reach the situation me wanting to hear that album. I didn't hate it but ...
Nowadays it's one of my PF favourites.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2015 at 21:20
Originally posted by emigre80 emigre80 wrote:

Clap I think it is the Ancient that is the key to the album. Get that, the hardest of the 4 to get into but ultimately the most satisfying of the 4 once you do, the rest sort of falls into place.

Edited by micky - August 01 2015 at 21:21
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2015 at 22:32
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Clap I think it is the Ancient that is the key to the album. Get that, the hardest of the 4 to get into but ultimately the most satisfying of the 4 once you do, the rest sort of falls into place.

Hmm, that's exactly the way I felt about the Remembering.  I thought RSOG and Ritual were easier but was listening to them more as stand-alone songs. Once I "got" the Remembering, the rest of the album just made sense as a four part suite.

However, it's kind of cool that there are so many different ways into the album, but they all lead to the same place.  A really good place.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2015 at 22:38
oh yeah.. most do seem to trip up on the Ancient. Hell I did for many years.. but irregarless of which one. They are are frickin great.. and different which is the cherry on top. Get them all... and one will if they are patient enough... the masterpiece is thus fully revealed. 

It is the epitome of prog rock. It was the creative peak of prog rock.. what everything done before was working up to.. and everything since then working down from....
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2015 at 22:48
ummm hmmmmm.. much to late to blast this puppy in the sound system..

so found this on youtube for some low fi low volume late hour enjoyment...

that is the one thing about Yes.. it does lend itself well to visuals wonderfully doesn't it.

damn...  I could use a J right now...

emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2015 at 23:07
^ now is when I need a "like" button.
PrognosticMind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2015 at 11:13
Trout Mask Replica, and Gorguts "Obscura" for sure.
"A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous. Got me?"
A_Flower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2015 at 16:47
Honestly, I got into Tales immediately. It was not a challenge at all for me. However, Larks' Tounges was extremely hard and it still is today for me to listen to.
Zenbadger View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2015 at 17:07
I'd say The Lamb mainly because it was not what I was expecting at all. Up to that point I'd been listening to Foxtrot, Nursery Cryme and Trick of the Tail a lot and was hooked on Genesis.

I kept reading about the Lamb and thought it would be more of the same. At first I didn't like it! I felt like there were no proper songs, I was confused by the story. It took me a good few listens but the key to understanding the album for me was allowing time for the story to sink in. Once it does you can listen to an individual track whilst keeping the context.

It is noy hands down my favourite Genesis album. Would be interested to hear how it went down with those of you who were fans on it's release. How long until you got it?

Edited by Zenbadger - August 03 2015 at 17:08
justin4950834-2 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2015 at 18:46
I'm just now starting to get Yeti after a long time. Probably because it was the first krautrock album I ever bought.
And yah Ancients took me forever to get, but the other 3 songs clicked with me almost immediately.
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2015 at 19:41
Gentle Giant. Took me 35 years to "get", like, and then enjoy any of their stuff. Now I adore them.
Tales, Relayer, The Lamb, Magma, Eno, UZ, Yeti, and even UneXpect were all pretty immediate. 

VDGG/Peter Hammill also took me a while.

Oddly, a lot of Steve Hackett's solo stuff grates against me though there is equally as much that I adore.

Dün still eludes me though I finally get and enjoy Ruins and Koenjihyakkei.

I sometimes find that I lack the patience for GY!BE though their stuff is always worth it once you give it time.

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2015 at 19:54
for me : In A Glass House and Tales from Topographic Oceans
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2015 at 19:27
MAGMA - MDK
.........and it's still one of their weakest in my books, well, Live versions whip the original studio recording.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2015 at 20:25
My prime vexample would be for VdGG. Bought two albums as a teen in the 70's and didn't get to appreciate them until I saw Hammill live at the Exito 13 in Brussels in 92, and the same year, I got to see the Godbluff live film. I needed to "see" to understand I guess

Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

I think anything by Gentle Giant.

For years, I couldn't stand them; now I love them.

Still haven't "got" TFTO at all.

Well, just like VdGG,I knew one day I'd get GG so I kept trying the two albums I had every coupple of years or so.... It finally clicked when I read a piece analysing Knots... And everything fell together.

Don't care to one day "get" TFTO???? It's pretentious junk AFAIAC.

Originally posted by Kirillov Kirillov wrote:

Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Beefheart - Trout Mask Replica and Henry Cow - In Praise Of Learning. It took me a decade to 'get' Dagmar vocals.

Me too. I 'got' Leg End and Unrest straightaway, but struggled with IPOL.

I still can't grasp or stand her every time I listen to HC, AB or NFB, to be honest... Somedays she grates me

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Funny, no mentions of electronic music yet. Maybe that's because most people never really get around to appreciate it?
Either way, I would think that an album like Phaedra would be quite difficult to get into if you're coming from a rock background. 'Where the feck are the drums and guitars!!??!?!?!!!!'

Actually, my dad bought Tomita's Snowflakes are Dancing upon its release(I was 11 then and starting to buy albums >> COTC, DSOTM, netc...) and played that album really loud (like it's supposed to) in the living roof. It clicked instantly with me (and my brothers as well)

But the first TD album I bought was Zeit, and I hated it for a few years (Pheadra is a cinch compared to Zeit, really). I tried again TD with Ricochet and it clicked instantly, as with Alpha Centauri as well.

SquonkHunter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2015 at 11:51

Hmm, that's exactly the way I felt about the Remembering.  I thought RSOG and Ritual were easier but was listening to them more as stand-alone songs. Once I "got" the Remembering, the rest of the album just made sense as a four part suite.

However, it's kind of cool that there are so many different ways into the album, but they all lead to the same place.  A really good place.

Wow. That just goes to show how different our perceptions can be. The Remembering was the ONLY part of Tales that I got the first time through. Other than certain small segments, I still don't get the rest of Tales to this day. Oh well. Wink
"You never had the things you thought you should have had and you'll not get them now..."
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2015 at 18:48
Originally posted by SquonkHunter SquonkHunter wrote:

Wow. That just goes to show how different our perceptions can be. The Remembering was the ONLY part of Tales that I got the first time through. Other than certain small segments, I still don't get the rest of Tales to this day. Oh well. Wink

Different people are always going to react to music - any art, really - differently.  But it is interesting to hear so many other reactions to the same piece of music.
fudgenuts64 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2015 at 21:55
The Lamb

I still don't appreciate all of it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12