Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedOPeth last album

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2015 at 04:23
All the sentences said in this thread about death growls are nothing but superstition.

Enough is to take a look at avant-garde metal scene full of the most innovative and progressive music of last 20 years. Ihsahn, Arcturus, Thy Catafalque, Sigh and the like are surely the most original artists in modern prog.

Edited by ole-the-first - August 04 2015 at 04:24
This night wounds time.
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2015 at 06:03
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

Pale Communion is the album Heritage should have been.

And I say that as a non-hater of Heritage.

I completely agree, Heritage was nice but lacked any real focus to it's music, Pale Communion really hits home. I'd even go so far to say it's their best album since Blackwater Park, but I've been a lot more critical of their 2000's output than most.

That said, I do hope they try for something different next time, they've kind of gone from being leaders of a sub genre to just another retro prog band, all be it a very good retro prog band. 
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Atlas Cube View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2015 at 16:06
To me, the newer material is certainly not "better" than the prime albums like Blackwater. However, there's no point in sticking to the same style - I prefer new development with each album.

Has anybody seen them live latey? I wonder how the "new 70s" stuff ties in with the classics in a live set...
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2015 at 21:47
Count me among the ones that dislike, bordering on hate, death growls. However, because of such great reviews, I have been interested in Opeth since before they released Heritage, but as much as I tried I couldn't get to enjoy their songs with growls, however, I did find many songs without them that I have come to like a lot. Still, the one album that sounded like the one for me at the time, Damnation, just didn't click with mee... too soft and just without much melodies that I would enjoy, except mainly "Closure", which I happened to like much, much better on the live version from "Lamentations" (in general, the whole Damnation is a bit better on the live version, but Closure it particular is spectacular). So far, my favourite album would be Watershed, because it had some really great non growling songs. Then came Heritage, which I did like, but still lacked something (focus, I guess, as many have said before). And now Pale Comunion, and indeed so far, it's my favourite album from them, really beautiful all along. I had not enjoyed any album from them from beginning to end until this one. Still, I do with they would do a real metal album without growls, because so far they seem to either drop metal altogether, or do metal with growls. Strangely enough, given that growls so easily turn me off, my very favourite song from them at the moment happens to be one with growls, "The Drapery Falls", (the version on the Lammentations live album, too)... no other song from them with growls has managed to do that for me, though.
javajeff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2015 at 11:45
It took me a couple years to really digest growls in music, and now I love it.  Between the Buried and Me and Opeth are two favorites that I listen to often.

I rarely listen to their growless albums.

Edited by javajeff - December 02 2015 at 11:46
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2015 at 22:12
Death growls sound like Fozzie Bear on a bad trip
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2015 at 22:19
Originally posted by javajeff javajeff wrote:

It took me a couple years to really digest growls in music, and now I love it.  Between the Buried and Me and Opeth are two favorites that I listen to often.

I rarely listen to their growless albums.

I have... well, not really tried, but given them a chance. I do have been listening to albums with growls out of curiosity... several times to let them sink it. But they usually don't do much for me anyway... mostly too much noise. However, I did find that song, The Drapery Falls, that is just stunning. Then I have heard some Devin Townsend, and even though I don't like everything I have heard by him with growls, I think he is the only artist by whom I can say that I actually enjoy the growl/extreme vocal element. There are a few other songs with growling that I actually like, but not more than 10, I guess.
backtothegarden View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2015 at 11:59
I bought Pale Communion the day it came out.  Unfortunately, I still have yet to truly connect with it.  "River" has been the only song that has jumped out at me so far.  I'll continue to be patient with it.  

I have all of Opeth's studio albums from the Steven Wilson era and forward, except for Heritage, which did nothing for me.  I love "Blackwater Park" and "Ghost Reveries", especially the latter.  

As a rule, Cookie Monster vocals are where I draw the line with music, but Opeth and Ne Obliviscaris are bands where I've made an exception.
Pastmaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2015 at 12:19
I didn't really like it apart from a few songs, although I love Heritage. I love Opeth most before Steven Wilson got involved, Opeth's first four are amazing and easily my favorites from the band.
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2015 at 13:19
I love Heritage and Pale Communion equally. The band's remaining body of work didn't really click with me until Watershed, which I find to be their most adventurous. Even the growl sections were enjoyable . Up to that point I just liked 1 or 2 songs on any given album. And Damnation really bored me. 
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2015 at 13:24
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Opeth Death growls? I don't listen. No Opeth death growls? I bought the last 2 albums. There is nothing progressive about death growls, a Halloween-ish metal stereotype for obstreperous teenagers that has dragged on for 30 years.

Yeah! Like distorted guitars and women with jobs!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12