Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 2nd Round Moderns: Book of Horizons v. Snowtorch
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed2nd Round Moderns: Book of Horizons v. Snowtorch

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: pick one!!
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
14 [42.42%]
19 [57.58%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2015 at 17:41
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

poor Raff needs a break...  ohh.. and what does she choose.. ELO!!! ClapLOL

next up will be refreshers to this poll.  Mainly for the SC3 album.

Now there is a band I tried ever so hard to like but never, other than the odd track, did. The old story, I kept scratching away but never finding anything approximating depth.
Andrew B

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.” ― Julius Henry Marx
Komandant Shamal View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2015 at 18:51

i voted for "Snowtorch".

Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2015 at 20:03
Another easy vote. SC3
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2015 at 01:28
Darn it, I love Snowtorch, but most of these polls by Micky match an album I have to an unknown album. So I with-hold voting.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2015 at 04:52
surprising result so far.... even if I helped add to it. LOL  Again.. would have voted for Book M over Snowtorch as great as that is.. I likely would have voted for that over all but a mere handful of modern albums actually..

Edited by micky - August 05 2015 at 04:52
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2015 at 05:42
Originally posted by t d wombat t d wombat wrote:

Now there is a band I tried ever so hard to like but never, other than the odd track, did. The old story, I kept scratching away but never finding anything approximating depth.

oh really... first time I ever pumped this album, my mother 8-track!!, into my brain via headphones...

I was hooked. It wasn't Yes, King Crimson, or some dish from the Olive Garden that made me into a prog fan..

it was this...

perhaps a fair bit of sentimentality rules me.. but that is no sin... it should rule us. It is music we hold dear for reminding us of special times and places in our lives. For me... I hear this album I think back to shy little kid reading Asimov and being taken to places vast and fascinating.  I love 'em all actually. From the over prog rock first half of the 70's to more subtle prog-pop of the mid to late 70's. Great stuff.. Lynne was one hell of good songwriter and had a crazy good group behind him.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
t d wombat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2015 at 17:01

Originally posted by t d wombat t d wombat wrote:

oh really... first time I ever pumped this album, my mother 8-track!!, into my brain via headphones...

I was hooked. It wasn't Yes, King Crimson, or some dish from the Olive Garden that made me into a prog fan..

it was this...

perhaps a fair bit of sentimentality rules me.. but that is no sin... it should rule us. It is music we hold dear for reminding us of special times and places in our lives. For me... I hear this album I think back to shy little kid reading Asimov and being taken to places vast and fascinating.  I love 'em all actually. From the over prog rock first half of the 70's to more subtle prog-pop of the mid to late 70's. Great stuff.. Lynne was one hell of good songwriter and had a crazy good group behind him.

A mistake I was often guilty of in my younger daze was not searching backwards. First ELO I bought was Eldorado, then gave them another shot with New World Record. It has been many a year since I listened to either of them but I cannot remember anything as interesting as England Town on either disc.

No doubt Lynn is a good songwriter, just not really my cup of tea I guess. (Letting You Tube cycle, now playing Sweet Talking Woman, yep fabulous pop song but Prog ? Surely not.) Didn't really get off on any of the Wilbury's stuff either. Loved Orbison and of course Dylan but could take or leave Petty. It all reminds me somewhat of one of those guitar orchestra abominations that the poms are seemingly so fond of. Shocked

ps - guitar orchestra might be a misnomer. I'm thinking of how at the end of some bloated extravaganza they finish up with everyone from Clapton to Bonamassa hammering away for seemingly no good reason. Upteen drummers, from Starr to Collins etc etc. Not where you have a bunch of people on acoustic guitars doing classical stuff.

pps - rule by heart is not bad thing. I hate it when I let my head take over though the damn thing is usually more sensible than my poor bleeding liberal heart. LOL

Edited by t d wombat - August 05 2015 at 17:14
Andrew B

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.” ― Julius Henry Marx
proggman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2015 at 19:08

Phideaux, Snowtorch.

When he rides, my fears subside.
For darkness turns once more to light.
Through the skies, his white horse flies.
To find a land beyond the night.
Kazza3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2015 at 04:00
SC3.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2015 at 06:09
Snowtorch is a great favourite of mine, and the members of Phideaux are a bunch of lovely people. However, if the chosen SC3 album had been Book M, I would have found it very difficult not to vote for it.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2015 at 06:14
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Snowtorch is a great favourite of mine, and the members of Phideaux are a bunch of lovely people. However, if the chosen SC3 album had been Book M, I would have found it very difficult not to vote for it.

yeah..  I do think the results of this poll, great as Snowtorch was, would have different if Boom M had been the option... this was a hard vote.... that would have been a WTF no brainer.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2015 at 22:51
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

here hear
I love Snowtorch - for some reason I haven't gotten around to reviewing it even though it's been a favorite since it came out
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12