Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLast Three Zep albums Remastered

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Last Three Zep albums Remastered
    Posted: August 01 2015 at 13:14
Does anyone care that the last three Led Zeppelin albums Presence, In Through The Out Door and Coda have been giving the Jimmy Page remaster treatment and all are now available in delux CD editions and on 180 gram vinyl? 

Edited by SteveG - August 03 2015 at 16:26
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2015 at 13:28
As I dont have even money to buy the re-releases of my favourites Zep albums... no.
- From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.
The Bearded Bard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2015 at 13:58
^ Same.  As I'm not made of money, and already own all their studio albums (albeit only in the form of The Complete Studio Recordings boxset), I don't particularly care, but as fan of the band I, of course, hope they sell well, and, although it's not a priority for me right now, will probably get most, if not all (probably all, the completist in me wouldn't have it any other way LOL), of the remastered studio albums sometime in the future, when money allows, although I'm not particularly impressed with the bonus material on offer on any of the releases. Embarrassed
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2015 at 15:47
Other than the fact that those are two great, and one spotty but fun, albums?  Not especially.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2015 at 16:03
I will probably get Presence as it is a favorite and I'd like to hear what Page does with the sound.  Coda is great but my current copy is fine.   Not interested in Out Door, a dreadful album. 

The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2015 at 16:30
The studio work of Zeppelin always sounded impeccable. Can't imagine it sounds much better now that I've blown my ears out after several decades of amplified mayhem.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2015 at 17:06
No.....not really interested for the same reasons  mentioned and I already have original vinyl, original cd's , and the 2 cd box sets.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2015 at 17:12
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Does anyone care that the last three Led Zeppelin albums Presence, In Through The Out Door and Coda have been giving the Jimmy Page remaster treatment and all are now available in delux CD editions and on 180 gram vinyl? 

nah... who does Jimmy Page think he is.. SWilson????LOL
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2015 at 21:44
This whole slew of rereremasters is confusing, but also enticing.  Who wouldn't want to hear what Page did with "his" album - Presence.  It's a great riff record, and Jimmy was all about the riffs.  It isn't as immediately gripping as any of the first four, not as diverse as Houses, not as epic as Graffiti......and the songs from the album don't mesh smoothly with any of the previous tunes in the catalog.  I remember traveling with a friend who'd brought the Latter Years cassette (yeah, that long ago) and was shocked to hear how "off" the Presence stuff sounded - it put me off the album for a while.  But, man, Presence is a standout when played front to end.....heavy bloozy riffs....pure Pagey!  And Achilles is by far my fave Zep epic. 
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2015 at 21:51
^ It is epic, that whole record, his 'guitar army' .

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2015 at 22:23
Man, now I want to hear the updated Presence.....am I'm I going to have to pony up for ANOTHER copy of Presence?  I've always thought they should have a "trade in" policy - come in with a reasonably maintained copy of the previous remaster and get a discount on the next. 
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2015 at 22:28
Originally posted by Intruder Intruder wrote:

Man, now I want to hear the updated Presence.....am I'm I going to have to pony up for ANOTHER copy of Presence?  I've always thought they should have a "trade in" policy - come in with a reasonably maintained copy of the previous remaster and get a discount on the next. 

sort of defeats the purpose of milking fans of more money for albums they already have ehh.

hell.. that is why I've had ...what... the 4 versions of John Barleycorn Must Die! that have released on compact disk LOL  When you are a fan... a fanatic.. cost is no option. The artists know that. Pffff on discounts...

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2015 at 23:11
I think I've outgrown the whole 'Remastered' thing. Some of the 70's stuff that was 'Re-Mixed' was happily received, but most of the remastered stuff I've heard has been more of a let down than not.

Pass.

Edited by JD - August 01 2015 at 23:12
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2015 at 15:08
Originally posted by The Bearded Bard The Bearded Bard wrote:

^ Same.  As I'm not made of money, and already own all their studio albums (albeit only in the form of The Complete Studio Recordings boxset), I don't particularly care, but as fan of the band I, of course, hope they sell well, and, although it's not a priority for me right now, will probably get most, if not all (probably all, the completist in me wouldn't have it any other way LOL), of the remastered studio albums sometime in the future, when money allows, although I'm not particularly impressed with the bonus material on offer on any of the releases. Embarrassed
I'm with you on the bonus materials so far which are pretty bogus to me, and I think the public's reaction to the remaster craze has started to die down a bit. Not vinyl sales per se, but just the album remasters per se.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2015 at 16:17
I'll get Presence I am sure as my copy is almost wore out, the other two I will pass on prolly.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2015 at 19:21
"The weight of obligation showed on the original Coda; three of the eight tracks were left-behind songs from Zeppelin's last, least compelling studio album, 1979's In Through the Out Door.

But that was then. Reissued on July 31st along the deluxe Coda is now essential Zeppelin, a three-disc, 23-track account of the band's studio life in illuminating rarities, including the 1970 B-side "Hey, Hey What Can I Do"; "Sugar Mama," a bluesy grenade from the 1968 sessions for Led Zeppelin; two exotic jewels from Page and Plant's 1972 evening in a Bombay studio with members of an Indian orchestra; and a revelatory test run of "When the Levee Breaks" from Led Zeppelin IV.

The '82 Coda was, Page now admits, "an attempt to make something out of very little – or nothing." The reboot, in turn, "has all of the quirkiness, the totally unexpected aspect of things" that characterized Zeppelin's ascent on record throughout the Seventies."

-Rolling Stone

Must admit I'm a little tempted....Embarrassed

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2015 at 20:12
^ it's good marketing but if you're a lifelong Zep collector, what you read is:  "One old single that's been around for twenty-five years; A blues trifle that is sub par to their live blues medleys; Two disjointed, spontaneous outtakes; And an unproduced, flat-sounding reject from the Stairway sessions".   You got five times that on the bootleg LPs that were around in the 70 & 80s.  

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2015 at 20:27
Yeah, thought it over tonight when I ordered a couple things and decided against it.  My copies sound adequate and "rarities" almost never prove to be fulfilling long term for me. 

I did order a Runaways album.  My commuting wake-up music for the car next week.  Can't waitLOL

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2015 at 20:36
I mean if they were truly rarities or interesting passages, I'd consider it.   Even if I had the material in boot form I'd still want the presumably better-sounding remaster.   An actual unreleased or unknown song-- a real song?  Yeah, I'll take it.   But that's not what this looks like.

KingCrInuYasha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2015 at 00:15
It doesn't help that I already picked up "Hey Hey" via a CD single and "Travelling Riverside Blues" via BBC Sessions, so that incentive to even re-buy Coda for those other outtakes just went out the window for me. And even if the current remasters sound good, I'm quite content with the 1990s masters I own.
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>