Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSyd Barrett: Real Genius or Real Hype?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Syd Barrett: Real Genius or Real Hype?
    Posted: August 04 2015 at 16:43
Syd Barrett, the Mad Cap. Was he truly a genius on the level of a McCartney or Lennon? A musical visionary? Or an over celebrated artist caught up in the cult of personality, due to the nature of his artistic demise? Or somewhere in the middle?

Edited by SteveG - August 04 2015 at 16:54
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2015 at 17:27
It doesn't really matter to me how he is labelled.  All I know is that he created music that is absolutely unique and a special part of my life.  Much more special than many artists who are considered far more talented and "professional" than he. 

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2015 at 17:33
Somewhere in between for me....though I like many of the songs he wrote he's not that fantastic in my book and really wasn't much of a guitar player imho.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2015 at 18:00
A genius but not on the level of Lennon and McCartney. Love his stuff but a tortured soul.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2015 at 21:55
There are some songs I like from him, and last time I gave Piper a listen I enjoyed it more than I remembered enjoying it before, but still I would think he is more a legend because of his madness. I think Gilmour was much more talented, and I don't think Floyd would have reached the heights they did with Syd instead.
Komandant Shamal View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2015 at 22:10
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

an over celebrated artist caught up in the cult of personality, due to the nature of his artistic demise?
this. not a genius at all.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2015 at 22:13
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I think Gilmour was much more talented, and I don't think Floyd would have reached the heights they did with Syd instead.
Exactly my thoughts.
KingCrInuYasha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2015 at 23:46
Somewhere in the middle. One the one hand, Syd's work was what got me into seeking stuff outside the mainstream and manages to stand on it's own merits. On the other, I admit the hype nearly killed my interest in him. I remember getting his solo work, the first listen, i though it as genius, the second total Censored and the third onward fluctuated between the two extremes before finally settling on a more favorable outlook.

@Dillinger: IIRC, I think it was David that taught Syd some guitar lessons.
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2015 at 01:12
To me, Syd was a gifted artist with a fragile mind. He is not a 'genius' per se, though highly creative and unique.
I enjoy most of his stuff, though some moments really scream at you about the dangers of LSD. I guess that qualifies as in-between. And most of us hear about his alleged, 'crazy' behaviour, but never his 'regular' day-to-day life. No-one cares whether he made coffee for his mother or tried to carry on as a 'regular Joe', only that he was a 'Burnt out Rock Legend'.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2015 at 21:43
Originally posted by KingCrInuYasha KingCrInuYasha wrote:

Somewhere in the middle. One the one hand, Syd's work was what got me into seeking stuff outside the mainstream and manages to stand on it's own merits. On the other, I admit the hype nearly killed my interest in him. I remember getting his solo work, the first listen, i though it as genius, the second total Censored and the third onward fluctuated between the two extremes before finally settling on a more favorable outlook.

@Dillinger: IIRC, I think it was David that taught Syd some guitar lessons.

Yeah, there was something about that I had read too. I'm not so sure how much it is that Gilmour teached some guitar to Syd, or if they learned together, or whatever. However, they were suposed to know each other since before Pink Floyd. And I think it shows even to this days, since Gilmour has been fond of including some Syd tunes in his solo shows.
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2015 at 04:13
I enjoy the man's musical output of course, but I'm uncomfortable with the cult of personality around Barrett considering how much he shunned publicity. According to the biography of him A Very Irregular Head by Rob Chapman, the mental breakdown that caused Barrett to leave PF was caused as much by touring stress and discomfort with being famous as by his mental health and substance abuse issues.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2015 at 09:33
A great song writer. And I love the way he played guitar. I prefer his work with Floyd and I can't stand Floyd without him. 
Ancient_Mariner View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2015 at 11:03
To me Floyd didn't really come together until Meddle so I'm not a huge fan of his but some interesting work on the first Floyd record.  Never listened to his solo stuff.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2015 at 13:32
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

It doesn't really matter to me how he is labelled.  All I know is that he created music that is absolutely unique and a special part of my life.  Much more special than many artists who are considered far more talented and "professional" than he. 

+1
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
WeepingElf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2015 at 09:27
Originally posted by Komandant Shamal Komandant Shamal wrote:

I think Gilmour was much more talented, and I don't think Floyd would have reached the heights they did with Syd instead.
Exactly my thoughts.

I concur with this.  With Syd in the band, Pink Floyd would never have had even a chance to become the prog "dinosaur" they became.  There simply was no way going on when his problems went out of hand.  There were just two options for Pink Floyd at that point: 1. Fire Barrett.  2. Fold it.  We would have missed a lot of great music if they had chosen option 2.

Syd Barrett had his streaks of genius, but overall, David Gilmour was the better musician.  No contest.

... brought to you by the Weeping Elf

"What does Elvish rock music sound like?" - "Yes."

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2015 at 10:20
genius?  It really does seem to be a label tossed about too easily

he was creative and was definitely a tragic figure.. but Christ man... he wasn't the only one of that era. Let's call them all genius's as well.

Skip Spence.. now that was the tragic loss ..cutting the heart of what could have been one of the greats of the era.... Floyd continued on and prospered. Moby Grape couldn't and didn't.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2015 at 10:29
I've said before - contraversially perhaps - that the term 'genius' is bandered around too generously with regard to any brand of non classical music artist.

Barrett wasn't a genius IMO. He was a unique talent, and a very entertaining character nonetheless, but for me Floyd were a far better and more interesting band without him.

It's probably fair to say that he was an 'important' figure in rock music at the time, and I would have liked to have been around to experience the band at that stage of their career, but based on Piper I don't think they would have appealed to me quite as much as say The Doors or Hendrix at the time. Btw, I don't consider Jim Morrison to have been a genius either.

Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2015 at 10:58
Originally posted by WeepingElf WeepingElf wrote:

Originally posted by Komandant Shamal Komandant Shamal wrote:

Exactly my thoughts.

I concur with this.  With Syd in the band, Pink Floyd would never have had even a chance to become the prog "dinosaur" they became.  There simply was no way going on when his problems went out of hand.  There were just two options for Pink Floyd at that point: 1. Fire Barrett.  2. Fold it.  We would have missed a lot of great music if they had chosen option 2.

Syd Barrett had his streaks of genius, but overall, David Gilmour was the better musician.  No contest.

Let me ask you please why he never formed a new band in 70s and to be a leader of that band? due to mental problems, right? well, after reading the articles with the facts about him i dont buy that story that he was so big psycho that he wasnt able to make ONE ingenious lp in 70s - with a band - if he was a genius.
However Barrett solo stuff was re-discovered in 90s by indie-rock artists due to that lets say "proto indie" sound at his two acid-folk lps so as an already forgotten solo artist with a catalogue of two albums he get a recognition by a new crowd and isnt that something very nice? his fanbase should be all happy with that because he wasnt a genius.

Edited by Komandant Shamal - August 09 2015 at 11:01
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2015 at 11:02
Anyone think there are parallels between Syd and Brian Jones in terms of the band relationships?

And what effect would Jones have had on the 70s Stones had he lived and decided he wanted to continue to contribute more regularly to their albums?

hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2015 at 11:25
A interesting parallel, Jim. The same as Syd, I guess. But I can't help thinking that both would have precipitated the fall of their respective bands,  after of course another wonderful and strange album than we would still try to understand today. Sick
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>