Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSyd Barrett: Real Genius or Real Hype?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2015 at 20:47
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

^Yes, it's all Timothy Leary's fault. He put a gun to Syd's head and made him take 300 LSD trips against his will.

No..he just helped to program kids into taking it. He encouraged it and he was part of a scene that most youths respected. LSD is good for everyone was righteous to everyone at the time because young people didn't want to think like their parents....and their parents , (not all , but many), were from a different generation where many forms of logic were applied to many forms of upbringing. Upbringing, good or bad, applied the usage of the "so called" logical thing to do. The hippie generation was not about that mindset in many respects , but more particularly about the open minded attitude to try anything once and if the trip went well, then they might try it again and again to escalate into oblivion. In the end..it was discovered . (and unfortunately late in the game), that one tab of LSD could put a certain person in the mental ward...and for good in some cases...while others like Syd Barrett took too much.

Brian Wilson took years to recover and yet now...his mannerisms are like that of a robot. He was actually much more together on the Mike Douglas Show, but as time progressed he slipped into this other person and quite unlike the one he was in 1965. Most of his drama in his youth added to the bad LSD trips, but it could add itself to anyone's trip and Leary apparently was not aware of this? Before he persuaded/influenced youths to take it? I find that hard to believe. Then the situation with Peter Green and Danny Kirwan at the Munich incident. Obviously these rich brats who invited Fleetwood Mac to this gathering were a cult. They worked on stripping Green and Kirwan of their identity after they took acid. Green and Kirwan were permanently mentally ill after that beautiful night of tripping with vamps. Frank Zappa tried to warn the youth to be careful with drugs and not be stupid and taking it for the purpose of a trend. "Were Only In It For The Money" explains much of that. Timothy Leary wasn't the only person responsible for promoting LSD, but he was questionable to me, like many of the cult leaders who were teenagers in the 50's and knew how to program hippies with apocalyptic Christian doctrine..

Edited by TODDLER - August 25 2015 at 20:52
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2015 at 09:37
Todd, I knew plenty of acid heads circa '66-'67 that never listened to Timothy Leary and only knew him by reference from the Moody Blues' song Legend Of A Mind that came out in 1968. Acid use developed along with Leary, not because if him, despite the 'turn on, tune in, drop out' hype.

Edited by SteveG - August 26 2015 at 09:43
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2015 at 10:00

Todd, I knew plenty of acid heads circa '66-'67 that never listened to Timothy Leary and only knew him by reference from the Moody Blues' song Legend Of A Mind that came out in 1968. Acid use developed along with Leary, not because if him, despite the 'turn on, tune in, drop out' hype.

That's like calling me an extremist. I knew plenty of people in Vineland N.J. who claimed that Vineland had no trace of witchcraft or Satan worship, lived in total denial and yet there were several cult killings, kids disappearing, S.R.A. victims, front page news 3 to 4 times a week on an in depth investigation, and residents of Vineland would stand there and look you in the eye and deny that any of that ever occurred. 
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2015 at 10:03
No, now I'm calling you an extremist. Calm down or please move on.
Floydoid View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2015 at 11:22

Edited by Floydoid - August 26 2015 at 11:23
'We're going to need a bigger swear jar.'
Floydoid View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2015 at 11:24
Originally posted by Komandant Shamal Komandant Shamal wrote:

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I think Gilmour was much more talented, and I don't think Floyd would have reached the heights they did with Syd instead.
Exactly my thoughts.

Totally agree - had Syd stayed as part of the band, and hence Gilmour never being invited to join, they'd have disintegrated by 1969 and would have been relegated to a footnote in rock/pop history.
'We're going to need a bigger swear jar.'
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2015 at 12:13

Most songwriters, contrary to popular opinion, write most of their songs or have significant sections down when they first start out. Usually when they're just kids. Syd seems to lack this quality and I've often wondered if he shot his load with Piper and the two early singles, as his solo output is a joke.

Edited by SteveG - August 26 2015 at 12:16
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2015 at 16:41

That's correct from my point of view also and from accounts of the times.
None of those who I knew who took acid back in the day at college ever brought up Leary's name. They took acid because friends did or they wanted simply to experience the high.
I'm sure he did influence many people  on the west coast to be involved in the acid culture but it was different in other parts of the country.

btw for those who want to read an excellent overview of the origins of the whole culture and how it spread ( the CIA had a  hand in it..) read Acid Dreams by Lee and Schlain.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
sublime220 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2015 at 17:30
Originally posted by Pastmaster Pastmaster wrote:

Real Hype easily, I don't know how anyone could call 'Bike' genius.
 ShockedShockedShockedShocked How dare you!
There is no dark side in the moon, really... Matter of fact, it's all dark...
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2015 at 18:32
^Bike is brilliant. Definitely a song written on acid!
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Pastmaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2015 at 19:45

'I have some LSD, you can have it if you like but I borrowed it.'
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2015 at 19:52

'You're the kind of guy who doesn't appreciate psychedelia. I'll give you shrooms, some acid or any drugs if you want them.'
Pastmaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2015 at 20:00
Originally posted by sublime220 sublime220 wrote:

'You're the kind of guy who doesn't appreciate psychedelia. I'll give you shrooms, some acid or any drugs if you want them.'

I don't mind psychedelia, I just don't like Syd Barrett and Piper at the Gates of Dawn (Apart from Matilda Mother, I love that song) Tongue
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2015 at 20:03

I don't mind psychedelia, I just don't like Syd Barrett and Piper at the Gates of Dawn (Apart from Matilda Mother, I love that song) Tongue
I'm just messing with ya. You're a good guy, Past. Matilda Mother is my fave from Piper too. Big smile
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2015 at 22:03

I am calm...it's a statement that you are reading into too much.
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2015 at 22:33
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

That's correct from my point of view also and from accounts of the times.
None of those who I knew who took acid back in the day at college ever brought up Leary's name. They took acid because friends did or they wanted simply to experience the high.
I'm sure he did influence many people  on the west coast to be involved in the acid culture but it was different in other parts of the country.

btw for those who want to read an excellent overview of the origins of the whole culture and how it spread ( the CIA had a  hand in it..) read Acid Dreams by Lee and Schlain.

The east coast imitated the west coast. Absolutely imitated it and for the longest time it was vast. Cults, communes, music, drugs,...the whole nine yards. The Fillmore East, The Electric Factory, Carnegie Hall, you can't deny the history/influence of "Acid Rock" and the people who adapted all of it to their life. I always heard about Leary and Hoffman at many gatherings, but probably not quite as popular ..as it was on the west coast. I agree with that, but still???...many people on the east coast attended Woodstock, as the hippie movement was very extreme, So extreme, that narcotic officers posed in high school as students, police officers were on a 24 hour mission to search kids for drugs and the National Guard were called in to address protesting that often turned into riots in town or on the school grounds. I lived through all of that..because my sister was a hippie and basically subjected me to the vastness of that culture. Pretty extreme! Many of my friends were worried hat their lives would be cut short by being sent to Vietnam. We still had Richard Nixon to deal with and Watergate was just around the corner..Lol!
Guy_Debord_68 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2015 at 04:55
You have to really get your head around Syds solo work. You have to remember the context it was recorded in and how his mind was working. Some of it is car crash listening but there are moments of clarity like 'Octopus', which is majorly great song writing and construction. 'No good trying' was lofi/grunge 20 years in advance and songs like 'Baby Lemonade' and 'Dominoes' are beautiful. If well polished muso prog is what you're after then Syd aint your man
That was never going to be hid shctick. The likes of 'Interstellar Overdrive' bore more resemblance to Velvet Underground and the avant garde than hippy dippy, glossy prog.
To every age its art. To every art its freedom.
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2015 at 08:17
Originally posted by Guy_Debord_68 Guy_Debord_68 wrote:

You have to really get your head around Syds solo work. You have to remember the context it was recorded in and how his mind was working. Some of it is car crash listening but there are moments of clarity like 'Octopus', which is majorly great song writing and construction. 'No good trying' was lofi/grunge 20 years in advance and songs like 'Baby Lemonade' and 'Dominoes' are beautiful. If well polished muso prog is what you're after then Syd aint your man
That was never going to be hid shctick. The likes of 'Interstellar Overdrive' bore more resemblance to Velvet Underground and the avant garde than hippy dippy, glossy prog.

Clap
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2015 at 10:25

I'm just messing with ya. You're a good guy, Past. Matilda Mother is my fave from Piper too. Big smile
No sweat! I know you're just joshing. Smile
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2015 at 10:37
Originally posted by TODDLER TODDLER wrote:

I am calm...it's a statement that you are reading into too much.
Todd, I can only read and react to what the words say. My apologies and I hope there's no hard feelings.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>