Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 3rd Rd. Classics: Voyage Acolyte v. FIsh Out Water
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed3rd Rd. Classics: Voyage Acolyte v. FIsh Out Water

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Poll Question: pick Squire.... the power of Mick compells you all damnit...
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
34 [57.63%]
25 [42.37%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2015 at 09:38
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

come on people...  christ almighty... get over your Genesis fetishes...
Originally posted by zravkapt zravkapt wrote:

You people suck, I'm leaving GenesissArchives.
Might as well call it the YesArchives the way they're hailed as the ultimate prog band around here.

LOL seriously...  you do all realize Fish Out of Water is recognized to be THE supreme Prog solo album.. it was mentioned prominently during Squires obits as a definitive aspect of his overall body of work.. where will the Hatchett album rate...  come on.
So popularity matters now? Confused Make up your mind, Micky!

better musicians.. better music.. better execution.. stop snorting the Gen-cocaine man.
IYO. I'm glad to see most people on here show better judgement Approve, well, when it comes to these two albums at least. LOL

Originally posted by The Bearded Bard The Bearded Bard wrote:

How they can be so popular in prog circles is beyond me.
you might ask yourself not why they are within.. but why they were and are outside..something Genesis never accomplished.. it boils down to great music.. is was univerally great music. Something anyone can appreciate regardless of genre barriers.  Only the oddballs and freaks have to rely on the love of prog fan. Far being a badge of honor not be 'above' average music fans.. those who can touch not only hard core prog fan.. but general music fan are .. sure as hell.. doing it the right way and doing it right.
Within, without, it's beside the point I was trying to make. I don't get what people see (hear) in them is what I'm saying. Don't really care how popular they are outside of prog circles, tbh.
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

But Yes are crap.Confused
Wink
That's not what I'm saying at all! However, I don't find them particularly great either. Tongue
Originally posted by Mellotron Storm Mellotron Storm wrote:

Originally posted by The Bearded Bard The Bearded Bard wrote:

Easily Voyage of the Acolyte. Not a big fan of Yes and related solo albums. How they can be so popular in prog circles is beyond me.
They aren't, Gnosis rates Hacket''s album considerably higher although that's just another site's opinion I suppose.
I can't stand the orchestration on that Squire album and there's no lead guitar, it's not close. Great lineup though on that Squire record.
Not that I've made much of an effort to do so, but I just can't find my way around on other prog sites like ProGGnosis and Progressive Ears (their layout's too messy for me, can't find anything there), so I just have to take your word for it. But what are the highest ranked album there, if they have a top whatever list on those sites? I bet it's CttE, and if that's the case, I rest my, well, case. Wink
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2015 at 09:45
hah!!!

this all you need to know man

19 [73.08%]
7 [26.92%]

that is bullsh*t...  LOLThumbs Down
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2015 at 10:17
ProgGnosis never fully recovered from the hack they suffered a few years ago, though their database is extensive and good for finding detailed release information. ProgEars does not have anything but a forum these days, so you would be hard put to find any album lists or such. DPRP might be a better bet if you want lists, though the site (for which I have written quite a few reviews) is more geared towards fans of "conventional" prog.
Skalla-Grim View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2015 at 12:04
I voted for Fish because Acolyte will probably win anyway. But it is a very hard choice.
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2015 at 12:09
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2015 at 12:49
I had a listen to Fish here the other day, and it didn't really float my boat. Voyage on the other hand, while not the most extraordinary of albums, still sports astonishing beauty in the form of Shadow of the Hierophant. Goosebumps City for sure.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Wanorak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2015 at 13:16
Another very tough one but I will go with The Acolyte.
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2015 at 14:59
embarassing... you all should be at least LOL

bah....
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2015 at 15:57
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I had a listen to Fish here the other day, and it didn't really float my boat. Voyage on the other hand, while not the most extraordinary of albums, still sports astonishing beauty in the form of Shadow of the Hierophant. Goosebumps City for sure.
Got nothing to add here except get the unedited or extended 17 minute version if you haven't already. Five minutes more of musics most wonderful crecendos.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2015 at 16:43
Voyage
t d wombat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2015 at 17:19
Whatever. I've never been overly turned on by Hacket's solo stuff. The Genesis revisited albums, while interesting for me as a Genesis fan seem to provide proof positive that its the sum of the parts that make a great band not the individual components. Then again Fish is for me all a bit yeah OK and proves the same point. Maybe I should toddle off and give them both a good relisten but while I think Acolyte has a couple of great tracks it also has its non events while Fish rarely varies from good but not great. Consider this a non vote .... Fish cos its the underdog.
Andrew B

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.” ― Julius Henry Marx
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2015 at 17:43
bah.... and to add insult to injury... Raff felt compelled to put this album.. perhaps to get a contact high from what you all are smoking. 

man..  I did feel compelled to hit the sheets and take a nap...  so is that what classifies as a great prog album for you bobbleheads  hah!!

Fish out of Water goes on next...  at least it has great musicians... and actually doing something... and it has more kick ass bass lines than you can shake a stick at hah!!!  double hah..

and for good measure ..another... bah...
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2015 at 18:51
Voyage of the Acolyte. Looks like I'll be throwing a victory party.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2015 at 18:59
hahahha...Clap

I'd love to attend that party...  drinking tea and being in bed by 9pm you all would be. 

you need a bit of life in that party... perhaps burning an effegy of me and pissing on Squire's memory should be fitting. 

Look at that score...  that should upset any real prog fan.. who love more than Genesis and anything Genesis related.  One of the greatest rock bassist solo albums, strongly regarded as a career defining work.. and you all sh*t all over it. 

bah...
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2015 at 19:03

hahahha...Clap

I'd love to attend that party...  drinking tea and being in bed by 9pm you all would be. 

you need a bit of life in that party... perhaps burning an effegy of me and pissing on Squire's memory should be fitting. 

Look at that score...  that should upset any real prog fan.. who love more than Genesis and anything Genesis related.  One of the greatest rock bassist solo albums, strongly regarded as a career defining work.. and you all sh*t all over it. 

bah...
What? I like Squackett. And if it weren't a Sunday I'd let the party go till 10pm.

Edited by HackettFan - August 09 2015 at 19:07
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2015 at 19:05
that counts for something LOL

I do love a lot of Hackett's later stuff.. so I guess that counts for something as well Wink

AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2015 at 21:47
Always loved Fish Out of Water, even against the Hackett
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2015 at 22:07
Even though I do enjoy Fish out of Water, there's something about it that puts me off. Voyage is in general a very good album from start to end, and Shadow of the Hierophant is among my very favourite prog songs, so my vote goes for Hackett.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2015 at 22:11
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Got nothing to add here except get the unedited or extended 17 minute version if you haven't already. Five minutes more of musics most wonderful crecendos.

My version of Voyage has that long version of Shadow of the Hierophant too. But even though it seemed as if it would be a definitive version for the song, I actually liked the original better. The longer version seems just overkill, and the grandeur of that final section is washed away by it's over-long nature.
TGM: Orb View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2015 at 03:24

bah.... and to add insult to injury... Raff felt compelled to put this album.. perhaps to get a contact high from what you all are smoking. 

man..  I did feel compelled to hit the sheets and take a nap...  so is that what classifies as a great prog album for you bobbleheads  hah!!

Fish out of Water goes on next...  at least it has great musicians... and actually doing something... and it has more kick ass bass lines than you can shake a stick at hah!!!  double hah..

and for good measure ..another... bah...

Second listen (I know I've heard it before but it's been aaages) and I really like Fish Out of Water. Squire has a nice voice but buggers about with the vowels a bit more than I like. Silently Falling's a great song and compares very favourably to Shadow of the Hierophant in the epic with ridiculous fadeout category. Hold Out Your Hand is pretentious lyrical drivel of the worst kind. Hackett's has plenty of great musicians on it but Fish Out of Water has a line-up of really wonderful players (Collins, Moraz, Hastings, who's probably my favourite woodwind player in the prog lot).

Anyway, I feel Fish Out Of Water is the better of these albums. If it were To Watch The Storms I'd be going for Hackett.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>