Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: east asia music 1600-1800's
    Posted: August 16 2015 at 10:06
proger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2015 at 12:31
Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

I am not familiar with when eastern classical forms originated (probably differs for each country). Many of them are probably older than the 17th century. There are a wealth of resources for each country if you're willing to google them, although I can't be sure how reliable they are.

Here's what I do know however (and all of this may have originate long before the 17th century– I am not sure– but, doubtless it continued through it):
A lot of them have their own musical theater forms. China has Chinese Opera; Japan, Kabuki; Korea, P'ansori and Revolutionary Operas; Vietnam, Hát tuồng; more that I can't think of off the top of my head.

As for other classical forms, most of them have their own as well. The most interesting to me is probably gamelan, but I quite like solo Koto pieces from Japan as well as some ensemble music there, and Tibetan Bhuddist Ritual music. 

A lot of this music can be heard in the Nonesuch Explorer series. I would definitely recommend these. The link I posted only contains the releases still in print. There are a great many other releases in this series, but if I posted a link to a list of all of them, you might get overwhelmed.

thank u for the reply.
please do give me the list, i was involved in a motorcycle accident therefor i have plenty of time the explore new "genres" of music
...live for tomorrow...
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2015 at 15:54
I am not familiar with when eastern classical forms originated (probably differs for each country). Many of them are probably older than the 17th century. There are a wealth of resources for each country if you're willing to google them, although I can't be sure how reliable they are.

Here's what I do know however (and all of this may have originate long before the 17th century– I am not sure– but, doubtless it continued through it):
A lot of them have their own musical theater forms. China has Chinese Opera; Japan, Kabuki; Korea, P'ansori and Revolutionary Operas; Vietnam, Hát tuồng; more that I can't think of off the top of my head.

As for other classical forms, most of them have their own as well. The most interesting to me is probably gamelan, but I quite like solo Koto pieces from Japan as well as some ensemble music there, and Tibetan Bhuddist Ritual music. 

A lot of this music can be heard in the Nonesuch Explorer series. I would definitely recommend these. The link I posted only contains the releases still in print. There are a great many other releases in this series, but if I posted a link to a list of all of them, you might get overwhelmed.
proger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2015 at 09:47
im looking for interesting music from the area of east asia( Thailand, Vietnam, India, china...)

iv been into "old" western music lately (Bach, Beethoven...)

i want to hear what has been going in other non western countries those years.

...live for tomorrow...
 Post Reply Post Reply