Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhy so much Genesis love?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2015 at 10:38
Originally posted by Jeffro Jeffro wrote:

I am just now getting into Genesis. Like someone here once said, (paraphrase) Genesis just clicked with me. I get it now. I've been absorbing everything I can from Trespass though Duke.
Just amazing stuff. Musical Box blows my mind. Watcher of the Skies and Supper's Ready as well. So much more to dig into though. Should be fun

I miss how Genesis were one of the best bands ever when I first got into listening to them! 
Which albums are you finding to be your favourites? Or is it too soon to say?
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2015 at 08:04
Originally posted by AZF AZF wrote:

I am just now getting into Genesis. Like someone here once said, (paraphrase) Genesis just clicked with me. I get it now. I've been absorbing everything I can from Trespass though Duke.
Just amazing stuff. Musical Box blows my mind. Watcher of the Skies and Supper's Ready as well. So much more to dig into though. Should be fun

I miss how Genesis were one of the best bands ever when I first got into listening to them! 

Right now, probably Foxtrot and Nursery Crime
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2015 at 09:58

Originally posted by AZF AZF wrote:

Right now, probably Foxtrot and Nursery Crime
Really a decisive period for the band with the two new guys proving themselves handily.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2015 at 12:56
Trick of the Tail is an interesting album. It's got some amazing proggy stuff that I would say rivals the earlier material and yet has some songs that don't, imo

sublime220 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2015 at 13:19
IMO, they had seven masterpieces but not in a row. I can't stand W&W or ATTWT, but I adore Duke, adn even a little of Abacab (although I wouldn't put it up with the rest of them).
There is no dark side in the moon, really... Matter of fact, it's all dark...
deafmoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2015 at 07:34
Well, you really need to understand that Genesis, after Hackett, became Collin's vehicle of self expression at the time. He had the very muscular side band, before Hackett left, Brand X with John Goodsall, Percy Jones, etc.; and this was his complex, intricate fusion drumming outlet. In Brand X, Phil demonstrated, rather convincingly that he was very adept at competing along with Billy Cobham and Tony Williams fusion playing and that, he too was worthy of being put into the drumming polls. And he was! But how do you follow that up? Answer, you go into the simple and mundane strategy. The birth of And The There Were Three. Oh don't get me wrong the opener Down and Out is a mutha to play on the drums, with Collin's single bass drum galloping technique still blowing minds today. But these are pop songs for the most part. Now, what transpired next though is what really changed Genesis for good. Phil got divorced. That messed up Phil so much that he spent months writing about lost love and moving forward. And not only on his solo albums, but hints of it appear throughout the balance of Genesis Albums through Invisible Touch. My recommended advice...go back and listen to Nursery Cryme, Foxtrot - especially Supper's Ready - and The Lamb. Forget the Gabriel costumes and get into his use of alliteration and meaning in the lyrics he wrote. You will find more to love about Genesis than simply Collins or Hackett. 

Deafmoon
x420BLAZEWOLF98x View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2015 at 01:30
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

[QUOTE=GKR] [QUOTE=SteveG]
Does anyone ever listen to side 2 of Thick As a Brick? It's a rare thing for me.

that's the best half pal

People like Genesis for the same reason they like John Mayer. Real smooth. Gets the ladies in the mood, know what I mean? Fellas? Guys? Can i get a high five?

Edited by x420BLAZEWOLF98x - November 23 2015 at 01:35
NutterAlert View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2015 at 03:20
^ No idea what you mean!
aliano View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2015 at 05:23
I like many of the solo albums Peter Gabriel,Steve Hackett and Anthony Phillips have produced.In fact they're them are among my favorite musicians, but it's quite strange that I can't get into Genesis music.There are few tracks that I like from them.Absolutely strange!
Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2015 at 07:00
Again, I dispute the thesis that post-Hackett, Collins engineered a personal coup.  Rutherford and Banks equally complicit in lurch to simplification and pop fodder.  Collins was also one suggesting that Genesis should 'go instrumental' post Gabriel...
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2015 at 22:05
Originally posted by Flight123 Flight123 wrote:

Again, I dispute the thesis that post-Hackett, Collins engineered a personal coup.  Rutherford and Banks equally complicit in lurch to simplification and pop fodder.  Collins was also one suggesting that Genesis should 'go instrumental' post Gabriel...

I agree. Actually, my impression is that the one one member that has always been the most important on the direction and the music the band would create, that's Tony Banks... not Gabriel, nor Collins.
timbo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2015 at 03:21
Originally posted by x420BLAZEWOLF98x x420BLAZEWOLF98x wrote:

People like Genesis for the same reason they like John Mayer. Real smooth. Gets the ladies in the mood, know what I mean? Fellas? Guys? Can i get a high five?

Really? I must know the wrong ladies!

A story: when I first got married, I came home one evening to find my wife going through my record collection. She'd started off listening to Nursery Cryme. "I don't like the Musical Box", she said, "it's all about rape".

20 years later, she's never voluntarily listened to Genesis again. And I can't listen to Musical Box anymore, either. 
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2015 at 10:11
Originally posted by timbo timbo wrote:

Really? I must know the wrong ladies!

A story: when I first got married, I came home one evening to find my wife going through my record collection. She'd started off listening to Nursery Cryme. "I don't like the Musical Box", she said, "it's all about rape".

20 years later, she's never voluntarily listened to Genesis again. And I can't listen to Musical Box anymore, either. 

Well it's not a rape.

- It'a a child trapped in the body of an old man that feels sentiments that he can't understand.
- There's never a  physical contact, just a 5 years boy dealing with desires he can't control, being that he was changed from a boy to  an old man with no time to gain maturity.

For me is a very intelligent song and musically is wonderful.

My all-time favorite song.

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - November 24 2015 at 10:12

HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2015 at 13:30
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I agree. Actually, my impression is that the one one member that has always been the most important on the direction and the music the band would create, that's Tony Banks... not Gabriel, nor Collins.
That's my impression too. It doesn't absolve Collins of anything (only a new Brand X album could offer redemption), but he was not alone in Genesis' infamous shift of direction.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2015 at 14:21

[QUOTE=GKR] [QUOTE=SteveG]
Does anyone ever listen to side 2 of Thick As a Brick? It's a rare thing for me.

that's the best half pal
I wasn't actually sure this quote was from this thread, but it was indeed. I had to go back and find my post to take in the context. I'll make a few additional points:

a) I like TAAB quite a lot. You can say I adore it, and like many comparisons we get into, my criticisms are rather fine-grained.
b) The arrangements in TAAB are linked too much as variations on a theme, which makes it sound like it doesn't go anywhere.
c) TAAB is not better than Aqualung. Aqualung has everything Ian did best at his very best.
d) The arrangements in TAAB are less intricate and challenging than Genesis' arrangements.
e) Tull, even TAAB, is not symph Prog. Genesis is not only Symph Prog, they are prototypical Symph Prog. Therefore, if you are seeking Symph Prog (and clearly people do in fact seek out Symph Prog), you will gravitate to Genesis, not Tull. So, I remain mystified why the TAAB comparison ever came up. However much one likes/loves Tull (as I most certainly do) is irrelevant. They don't scratch the Symph Prog itch.
f) The best thing for the ladies is Spectral Mornings set to repeat as much as you need it to.
SquonkHunter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2015 at 22:38

That's my impression too. It doesn't absolve Collins of anything (only a new Brand X album could offer redemption), but he was not alone in Genesis' infamous shift of direction.

From everything I have either read or heard over the years, I am absolutely sure that NOTHING ever happened within Genesis without either the explicit or implicit approval of Tony Banks. Phil Collins, for all his later sins against Prog, initially, and very reluctantly, did what was necessary to keep Genesis together as a viable entity after Peter Gabriel left. The failure of his first marriage initiated the change in him. Just listen to his voice on any song from ATTWT and compare it to Duke. You can hear his voice changing, becoming more forceful, more angry. But until 1981 and his hit solo album Face Value, he was still much more the follower rather than the leader. Abacab sprang from Mike Rutherford's idea that they should do something "completely different" from what they had previously done. After Collins became a star in his own right, and only then, he became more an equal partner in Genesis - and shares in the "blame" for producing their later pop drivel. So, of the three remaining members of Genesis, I would actually "blame" him slightly less than I would Banks and Rutherford.  
"You never had the things you thought you should have had and you'll not get them now..."
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2015 at 05:16
Eh, Genesis degenerated to pop.  And maybe the pop was OK, but it doesn't really interest me.  I don't care about blame.  The point for me is that the older stuff still holds up, and the newer stuff bores me to death.  I am glad they are a closed circuit, baby and am happy that they stay that way. 
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2015 at 06:42
Many of their early lyrics are very rich in a particularly English form of Satire.. Stagnation, Harold the Barrel, Return of the giant Hogweed, Get 'em out by Friday, Can utility and the Coastliners and sections of Musical Box and Suppers ready all deal with awkward subjects in a quirky, humorous but poignant way. I think that this overly English literary approach has over the years put off as many people as it has attracted. They (along with VDGG, King Crimson and to some degree, some elements of Procul Harum) brought a 'gothic' element into the lyrics and sound as well as producing some very 'pretty' melodies (some times just very small snippets). Genesis, historically, has always had the 'Marmite' effect (you either loved them or hated them) but I don't really think they did anything in terms or adapting and changing or becoming less complex or 'prog' than any other of the other successful, big progressive bands.. they were perhaps more visible due to many 'hit' singles and mainstream radio play and Phil Collins solo career, that's all.

Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2015 at 07:23
i believe Dickens and his followers are influentual on writing style, but also Edgar Allen Poe, Bronthes, and Carrol, and Ulyssses by Joyce
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2015 at 12:31
Originally posted by SquonkHunter SquonkHunter wrote:

From everything I have either read or heard over the years, I am absolutely sure that NOTHING ever happened within Genesis without either the explicit or implicit approval of Tony Banks. Phil Collins, for all his later sins against Prog, initially, and very reluctantly, did what was necessary to keep Genesis together as a viable entity after Peter Gabriel left. The failure of his first marriage initiated the change in him. Just listen to his voice on any song from ATTWT and compare it to Duke. You can hear his voice changing, becoming more forceful, more angry. But until 1981 and his hit solo album Face Value, he was still much more the follower rather than the leader. Abacab sprang from Mike Rutherford's idea that they should do something "completely different" from what they had previously done. After Collins became a star in his own right, and only then, he became more an equal partner in Genesis - and shares in the "blame" for producing their later pop drivel. So, of the three remaining members of Genesis, I would actually "blame" him slightly less than I would Banks and Rutherford.  
I can go along with that too.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>