Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2015 at 15:38
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

Emotional eating? I had a heart attack in May which required a stent in an artery and enough beta-blockers, anti-cholesterol, blood thinners and fricking other pills to gag a rhino. Now the only emotion I get from food is watching someone else eat a goddamn pizza.

I wasn't really overweight (currently 6'2'', 230 lbs.), cigarettes did me in. And I miss them as well too.Cry
Hey, man, so sorry to hear you went thru that, and wish you all the best in the future.Hug
Well thank you, Doug. Not looking for sympathy or anything like that, which is why I haven't posted an "O woe, f*ck me" post highlighting my travails. Just a warning to all and sundry that decades of excess caught up with me at 55. And now? I have to follow around my wife at the market looking at the sodium content of every damn package or can. No cheese. No wonderfully fatty meat. No chips, hot dogs or chili fries. Bah! Angry

That sucks.  I miss the smoking too, so surely sympathize. 

I was playing one of the games that pose questions with some friends, and one that came up was "what bad habit would you keep if you could practice it with no consequences" and while everyone else in the room said, eat whatever you like without gaining weight, two of us immediately went for "smoke all the cigarettes you want with no health risks." 

Get well and stay well, Elf.  We need you here.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2015 at 00:49
Originally posted by emigre80 emigre80 wrote:

Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

Emotional eating? I had a heart attack in May which required a stent in an artery and enough beta-blockers, anti-cholesterol, blood thinners and fricking other pills to gag a rhino. Now the only emotion I get from food is watching someone else eat a goddamn pizza.

I wasn't really overweight (currently 6'2'', 230 lbs.), cigarettes did me in. And I miss them as well too.Cry
Hey, man, so sorry to hear you went thru that, and wish you all the best in the future.Hug

Well thank you, Doug. Not looking for sympathy or anything like that, which is why I haven't posted an "O woe, f*ck me" post highlighting my travails. Just a warning to all and sundry that decades of excess caught up with me at 55. And now? I have to follow around my wife at the market looking at the sodium content of every damn package or can. No cheese. No wonderfully fatty meat. No chips, hot dogs or chili fries. Bah! Angry

That sucks.  I miss the smoking too, so surely sympathize. 

I was playing one of the games that pose questions with some friends, and one that came up was "what bad habit would you keep if you could practice it with no consequences" and while everyone else in the room said, eat whatever you like without gaining weight, two of us immediately went for "smoke all the cigarettes you want with no health risks." 

Get well and stay well, Elf.  We need you here.

Smoking is the one thing I can't seem to get under control. I hardly drink at all. My diet is healthy - although I can't have junk food/snack food in the house at all - and I'm pretty much addicted to exercise.

How did you give up smoking? I've tried everything except hypnosis and acupuncture.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2015 at 08:44
^ Chantix. It made me sick as a dog, and took a year to work (after the first 12 weeks, you reduce to a maintenance level, so the stomach issues calmed down), but it worked in the end and I got rid of a 30 year one pack a day habit.  After two weeks of Chantix, I was down to about 5-6 cigs a day, and after that I kept tapering off slowly until they were gone for good.

I didn't suffer from bad side effects for the most part, except weird dreams and interrupted sleep.  I know not everyone can take it, but it worked for me.
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2015 at 08:45
^ I remember some great advice my doctor gave me: stopping smoking is not an event, but a process.  She was very understanding and helpful over the long period of time it took to finally quit.  A good doctor helps.
Disparate Times View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2015 at 09:45
^ It took me a week after my son was born, fifteen years, it takes a lot of will power, two and a half years later I still miss it a bit. I had it estimated at $1500 to $1600 a year i was spending I certainly don't miss that.
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2015 at 09:58
^ I like not coughing all the time.  That's a real plus.
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2015 at 11:15
^^^yeah, guys, will power is an important quality in fighting these addictions; but man,it is hard when you are not used to the changes. Some foods I still crave incredibly, and it is the caloric ones that I crave.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12