Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRush Retirement Rumors: Your Thoughts.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2016 at 04:46
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

The question should have been : How much of a snob are you?

ha ha! Very true
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2016 at 04:49
Originally posted by Modrigue Modrigue wrote:

However, the initial question was:
"What are your thoughts on Rush possibly calling it a day?"

Personally, I don't have any definitive opinion. I would like to see them live, and Clockwork Angels has its moments.

They may never tour again but I believe that they still have new music in them. That's what I want to hear. 
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2016 at 04:58
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I never knew there was such a thing as "straight up avant-garde or avant-rock artists"...what is non-straight up avant-garde??
There is no "standard of prog", that's why they call it progressive, a moving target.

It's just snobby elitist attitudes on all sides. Rush fans get piled on because they are passionate about the band. Many of them feel like Rush's music is superior to pedestrian rock n roll. However, those that say that Rush's music is not sophisticated, or not "whatever label" they want to apply are displaying the same snobby elitist attitudes.

If someone says they don't like Rush, fine. You don't like what you don't like and that's okay, but trying to justify that dislike by putting down the band because they don't fit your own definition of what prog is, is silly.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2016 at 05:50
^^ I don't think anyone has said they are not 'progressive' (have they?) Prog rock, like the snobbery that characterises many of its followers, is a spectrum, with It Bites at one end and a top hatted octupus playing the f***ing spoons on an ironing board at the other. Rush sit somewhere to the right of the centre point along that spectrum.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2016 at 08:00
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

^^ I don't think anyone has said they are not 'progressive' (have they?) Prog rock, like the snobbery that characterises many of its followers, is a spectrum, with It Bites at one end and a top hatted octupus playing the f***ing spoons on an ironing board at the other. Rush sit somewhere to the right of the centre point along that spectrum.

Some people here have said that they don't consider Rush to be prog. I've only been here a short time compared to some and I've seen comments to that effect. Perhaps it's a minority. I don't know
mechanicalflattery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2016 at 09:51
Genre classifications are equal points fickle and pointless, but classifying Rush as prog would depend on one's definition of prog (obviously). Certainly, no one would put them among the symphonic, keyboard driven groups like Genesis or Yes or the eclectic, experimental, jazzy groups like Gentle Giant or King Crimson, but as far as being placed on Progarchives overall, they certainly have a place somewhere in the heavy rock/metal categories. Personally, I tend to use a pretty strict definition of prog that would probably exclude Rush, but that has nothing to do with quality. Van Der Graaf Generator is my favorite group and I don't consider them to be prog either. 

As for the original OP, I tend to be skeptical of any group that carries on for decades. After a certain point, it's time to hang it up, form a new group that goes in a completely different direction. Play with new people. Anything but pump out roughly the same music endlessly (whether this applies to Rush, I have no idea).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345