Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTheo Travis playing on Gilmour's tour

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Theo Travis playing on Gilmour's tour
    Posted: August 18 2015 at 22:38
I just read that Theo Travis is going to be part of David Gilmour's band for his upcoming tour. This sounds great, though I would have liked Dick Parry once again, Theo of course is awsome.

https://www.facebook.com/theo.travis1

Here is the link to his Face Book page. I think I read somwhere there that Gilmour had actually liked The Raven that Refused to Sing (someone made that comment on the post), so it might be just the reason he was chosen.
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2015 at 23:52
That's great Clap I can't wait to see the show in that ancient Pula arena, Croatia, in September; a perfect venue to see Gilmour, something like "Live in Pompeii" Tongue
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2015 at 01:57
Theo Travis - good choice, Mr. Gilmour
fuxi View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2015 at 04:06
I just noticed Theo Travis still hasn't been accepted on Prog Archives as a solo artist, even though I argued for this YEARS ago. Come on, PA, Travis's (largely instrumental) albums are as proggy as they get! Remarkably, he even uses an organ player and a lead guitarist who are clearly enamoured with that early 1970s Pink Floyd sound...
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2015 at 19:37
Now I am really pissed Gilmour is not hitting Seattle.....Angry
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2015 at 21:59
He's not coming to Mexico either... not yet anyway. However I don't hold my breath, it would seem to good to actually happen. Still, at least you can be thankful he's coming to America at all. Perhaps you could arrange to visit some other city in order to see him... I guess it would be worth it, but I don't know how far he may be performing from Seattle.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2015 at 22:13
However, I was thinking... just sort of wishful thinking... if only Theo would end up introducing Gilmour and Steven Wilson, given that both have been interested in ambient music, if only they would work together it would be incredible. Perhaps add Mariuz Dudda to the mix, and we might end up having a masterpiece worth of standing along with the best Pink Floyd albums.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2015 at 00:13
^ Nah, not Duda (as great as he is....) - Nick Beggs on his Chapman Stick !!
How about Gilmour, Beggs, Wilson, Harrison, Travis and Wakeman
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2015 at 01:29
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

However, I was thinking... just sort of wishful thinking... if only Theo would end up introducing Gilmour and Steven Wilson, given that both have been interested in ambient music, if only they would work together it would be incredible. Perhaps add Mariuz Dudda to the mix, and we might end up having a masterpiece worth of standing along with the best Pink Floyd albums.

That would be interesting for sure. I would leave out Duda though. There's enough melancholy in Steven to fuel a Greek tragedy - no need for anymore

Personally I'd love to hear Gilmour team up with The Orb again, and for that Theo would fit in perfectly. Like a dove in a blue sky.

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2015 at 22:13
Well, the thing is that for the soft ambient sound from Floyd/Gilmour (and Wright), and because of the ambient music Wilson/PT have done, I though Duda would fit better (Riverside is ambient enough, I guess, but then there's Lunatic Soul). Still, I actually did listen to the Lifesings album, and I guess if Nick Beggs played that beautifully, he could play on something like this. However, Duda would be a creative force, which I'm not sure Beggs is really so great at, and he would be another great voice to the mix. And however much Greek Tragedy Wilson and Duda may muster, Gilmour's guitar would surely make it right.

Also, I'm not sure about Gavin Harrison in a project like this, I would like Chris Maitland better. Also, on keyboards, not sure about Wakeman... even though he is probably my very favourite keyboard player (even though he has done his share of New Age albums... perhaps the sound he used on 7 wonders of the World would fit nicely), but I was thinking perhaps Mark Kelly or Richard Barbieri would do better (Barbieri because of the ambient thing, and he may do the Wright sound better, but Mark Kelly has come up with some really emotional passages that are not usually heard on keyboards, and which I feel could work very beautifully with Gilmour's guitar).
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2015 at 17:04
I prefer Chris Maitland too even if Gavin is far more technically proficient behind the kit.

By the way - if this ambient thing did happen (don't hold your breath though), i would hope it didn't sound like Floyd at all - just like the Metallic Spheres project didn't. Maybe that's the difference between us? You seem more interested in hearing the old Floyd sound reproduced whereas I would prefer to hear something completely new (as new as you can get when you've got the stylings of Gilmour on guitar).

Edited by Guldbamsen - August 21 2015 at 17:05
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2015 at 21:49
Indeed I don't hold my breath. Actually, it's almost a fact that it won't happen, it's just an idea that I had... given that I think Wilson and Gilmour would actually have some artistic ideas in common and would complement each other and work together well. And no... I understand the way I expressed myself it would seem I want them to replicate the old Floyd sound, but not exactly, rather it would be nice to hear an evolution of that sound (as oposed to something completley new). And the people I have thought for this "ideal" line-up would be people who I think would complement the line-up, who would have ideas and sounds in common. And the sound I imagine would have to be atmospheric and melodic, not flashy and virtuos, that's why I don't think Wakeman and Harison would fit so well. And about The Orb, well, I just gave that album a quick listen (to a part of it), and it didn't grab me and didn't really give it much of a chance. Perhaps I was wrong about that. However, had heard from them before they worked with Gilmour? Have you heard anything else besides this collaboration?
 Post Reply Post Reply