Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Radiohead: What happened?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Radiohead: What happened?
    Posted: August 20 2015 at 18:33
When OK Computer hit the airwaves, people were lauding Radiohead as the 'next Pink Floyd'. So, what happened to Radiohead? And why are they now dwarfed by Swilson by prog fans, amongst others?

Edited by SteveG - August 21 2015 at 13:51
ole-the-first View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ole-the-first Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2015 at 18:57
Because Steven Wilson is more innovative/versatile and his music is more emotional, it's deeper. Which doesn't mean Radiohead are bad, this band is probably the best thing happened to mainstream rock since mid 90s.
This night wounds time.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2015 at 19:00
^Hmm..Deeper? Perhaps. But more emotional? I'm not too sure about that.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2015 at 19:30
Originally posted by ole-the-first ole-the-first wrote:

Because Steven Wilson is more innovative/versatile and his music is more emotional, it's deeper. Which doesn't mean Radiohead are bad, this band is probably the best thing happened to mainstream rock since mid 90s.

Hein!?
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2015 at 19:40
Because they have long since stopped making anything resembling prog in the conventional sense (and maybe OK Computer was the only one that had it anyway).  They have kept changing their sound with their album and with the last one, moved way out of the comfort zone of most classic rock aficionados.  Whereas Wilson has been moving in the opposite direction, bringing his sound closer and closer to the 70s prog sound and with that endearing himself more and more to the prog audience.  
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2015 at 19:53
Radiohead are producing wonderful music, that's what is happening.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horizons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2015 at 21:44

Yea this isn't right.

Radiohead still are making great music, their most recent though wasn't one of their best. 

(And this is coming from someone with a Swilson avatar. 

Edited by Horizons - August 20 2015 at 21:45
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Svetonio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2015 at 22:17

Exactly.
Kazza3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazza3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2015 at 23:53

Hahaha... gold.
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Svetonio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2015 at 00:05
Originally posted by Kazza3 Kazza3 wrote:

Hahaha... gold.
Not emotive?

Sometimes I get the impession that I read a forum where some deaf people are talking about music...Hahaha....
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Chris S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2015 at 00:13
Cannot compare the two

BTW the above songs are sublime by SWThumbs Up

Edited by Chris S - August 21 2015 at 00:18
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Svetonio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2015 at 00:28
Oh maybe Mr Wilson's lyrics aren't enough deep for such a big minds here....Hahaha....

Kazza3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazza3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2015 at 00:43
Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

Hahaha... gold.
Not emotive?

Sometimes I get the impession that I read a forum where some deaf people are talking about music...Hahaha....

It was a hilarious comment, not necessarily because Wilson isn't emotive (though he's not my cup of tea), but because Radiohead are one of the most incredibly moving bands out there.
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Svetonio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2015 at 00:56

(...) (though he's not my cup of tea) (...)  
Oh, really? I am very surprised...Hahaha ...
Well, then you should said that freely.

p.s. Radiohead' songs that you set above are emotional, of course, but in a way that is emotional every (goodpost rock; in fact, both posted Radiohead' songs are - post rock, the genre where  *emotional* is a decoration of the genre. Mr Wilson as a progressive rock artist is undoubtedly deeper in his approach to 'emotional' than postrocky Radiohead

Edited by Svetonio - August 21 2015 at 01:34
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2015 at 01:22
implying radiohead was  ever good
Pastmaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pastmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2015 at 01:36
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

implying radiohead was  ever good

Here here Clap
Kazza3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazza3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2015 at 01:48

p.s. Radiohead' songs that you set above are emotional, of course, but in a way that is emotional every (goodpost rock; in fact, both posted Radiohead' songs are - post rock, the genre where  *emotional* is a decoration of the genre. Mr Wilson as a progressive rock artist is undoubtedly deeper in his approach to 'emotional' than postrocky Radiohead

There are plenty of things here that I couldn't disagree with more, but probably best that I leave it be..

Edited by Kazza3 - August 21 2015 at 01:52
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Svetonio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2015 at 02:05

There are plenty of things here that I couldn't disagree with more, but probably best that I leave it be..
Are you really  don't hear that the songs you posted above are examples of post-rock? 
Perhaps you think that the vocal post-rock doesn't exist?
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2015 at 02:59
Anyone for The Pineapple Thief ?? Radiohead + Wilson + Emotion.............all in a neat 'package' led by Bruce (Yorkewilson)soord
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2015 at 03:10
Ten years earlier, in comparison with Talking Heads, Wire or Laurie Anderson, Radiohead would have gone almost unnoticed. Having said that, I like the band but I cannot refrain from wondering if it's not Can or Autechre, which I love in their music.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>