Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Radiohead: What happened?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Imperial Zeppelin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imperial Zeppelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2015 at 07:32
dwarfed by Swilson? Among prog fans, maybe. But Radiohead are much more popular in general. And that maybe do to the fact that they're not mainly a prog band.
"Hey there, Dog Man, now I drink from your bowl."
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2015 at 08:21
SW is more talked about at PA because he is more prolific. We have had three Steven Wilson albums since Radiohead's last.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2015 at 08:23
Who's Steven Wilson?
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Svetonio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2015 at 08:45
Originally posted by Imperial Zeppelin Imperial Zeppelin wrote:

dwarfed by Swilson? Among prog fans, maybe. But Radiohead are much more popular in general. And that maybe do to the fact that they're not mainly a prog band.
Of course.  Radiohead is a mainstreamy alt.rock band who were, at the peak of their careers, recorded one crossover prog album i.e. Kid A.
Michael678 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael678 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2015 at 08:47
i think it deals with inactivity regarding the band's studio albums; hopefully that changes in the next several months!
Progrockdude
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2015 at 09:58
I find the OP's supposition that Wilson is more popular to be laughable. In a general sense, Radiohead dwarf Wilson massively and it's only amongst parts of the very niche prog fanbase that the reverse could ever be considered true.

As for amongst prog fans, Wilson's music has steadily been moving more towards a 70's type sound for most of the last decade and he is very prolific, having an involvment with at least one album released every year, which does seem to cater to the large conservitive side of prog fandom whilst Radiohead are far more experimental whilst in the 2000's their albums have also been increasingly few and far between.

I should also point out that I hate both equilly and will never understand why either of them gained success.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2015 at 11:40
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

I find the OP's supposition that Wilson is more popular to be laughable. In a general sense, Radiohead dwarf Wilson massively and it's only amongst parts of the very niche prog fanbase that the reverse could ever be considered true.

As for amongst prog fans, Wilson's music has steadily been moving more towards a 70's type sound for most of the last decade and he is very prolific, having an involvment with at least one album released every year, which does seem to cater to the large conservitive side of prog fandom whilst Radiohead are far more experimental whilst in the 2000's their albums have also been increasingly few and far between.

I should also point out that I hate both equilly and will never understand why either of them gained success.
In the context of the PA community, Swilson is Christ incarnate. It's laughable to compare the two with the hyperbole that PA members lavish upon Swilson's boring, unemotive and unimaginative solo work. This type of blind hero worship, ad nauseum, is not a prerequisite for appreciating Radiohead, or the lack thereof. Has the general population been more appreciative of Radiohead than the prog community? Hell yes. But that's not who my post was addressed to. To think otherwise is, however, is laughable.

Edited by SteveG - August 21 2015 at 11:47
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horizons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2015 at 12:12
While Swilson can have some emotive music and delivery, a lot of it comes off as trying to hard - while a lot of Radiohead's music genuinely has more heart and soul to it. 

Appears Sventititotitiio doesn't like the concept that Radiohead are liked sometimes more than Swilson and throws out completely irrelevant nonsense like..

Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

Radiohead is a mainstreamy alt.rock band who were, at the peak of their careers, recorded one crossover prog album i.e. Kid A.

I mean both artists have had highs and lows, but it is a matter of preference all in all. I mean i've seen Swilson like 3 times live, and couldn't even sit through his new solo record. 

Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2015 at 12:28
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

In the context of the PA community, Swilson is Christ incarnate. It's laughable to compare the two with the hyperbole that PA members lavish upon Swilson's boring, unemotive and unimaginative solo work. This type of blind hero worship, ad nauseum, is not a prerequisite for appreciating Radiohead, or the lack thereof. Has the general population been more appreciative of Radiohead than the prog community? Hell yes. But that's not who my post was addressed to. To think otherwise is, however, is laughable.

Your opening post could have done with more context to it then, after all I wasn't the only one to make the comment that Radiohead are very definitely more popular than Wilson is.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Svetonio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2015 at 12:29

(...) So, what happened to Radiohead? (...)
As almost all of 90s mainstreamy alt.rock bands, their heydays were not lasting long.
They keep a fanbase, but it's far from that hysteria during the time of their heydays.

Edited by Svetonio - August 21 2015 at 12:33
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2015 at 12:34

Your opening post could have done with more context to it then, after all I wasn't the only one to make the comment that Radiohead are very definitely more popular than Wilson is.
It's amazing how PA members stay in a prog bubble when it's convenient and bust out of it, now and again, when it's not. However, I will make my posts clearer in the future.

Edited by SteveG - August 21 2015 at 13:52
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Svetonio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2015 at 12:51
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

(...)

Appears Sventititotitiio doesn't like the concept that Radiohead are liked sometimes more than Swilson and throws out completely irrelevant nonsense like..

Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

Radiohead is a mainstreamy alt.rock band who were, at the peak of their careers, recorded one crossover prog album i.e. Kid A.
As you are one post-rock (and alt.rock in general) fan that's normal that your opinion about Radiohead is very high, even that that for you they were something more than 90s meainstreamy but good enough to be listenable an alt.rock band, with one crossover prog album Kid A released 15 years ago.

Edited by Svetonio - August 21 2015 at 13:05
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2015 at 13:02
Well.....I have never really cared for Radiohead....simply not my cup of tea, and the last few albums have not improved their status with me.
I do like Wilson though his last two solo things have not impressed me as much as others here at PA and the work he did in the past with Porcupine Tree was more to my liking.
All in all I could care less what happened to Radiohead.

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
aglasshouse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aglasshouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2015 at 13:13
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

implying radiohead was ever good
I'll second that.
http://fryingpanmedia.com
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Svetonio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2015 at 13:34
Just a reminder, this was Radiohead at their heydays:

A mainstreamy alt. rock band.

Edited by Svetonio - August 21 2015 at 13:35
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2015 at 13:39
^Be careful pushing this Svetonio, it's just as easy to make a case that In Absentia is alt rock. And remember, both RH and Swilson are classified in PA as crossover prog.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2015 at 13:41
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Well.....I have never really cared for Radiohead....simply not my cup of tea, and the last few albums have not improved their status with me.
I do like Wilson though his last two solo things have not impressed me as much as others here at PA and the work he did in the past with Porcupine Tree was more to my liking.
All in all I could care less what happened to Radiohead.

They're not really my cup of tea either, Doc. They're just an interesting topic for a discussion to me as one as one is seen as prog while the other is not.

Edited by SteveG - August 21 2015 at 13:49
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Svetonio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2015 at 13:51

^Be careful pushing this Svetonio, it's just as easy to make a case that In Absentia is alt rock. And remember, both RH and Swilson are classified in PA as crossover prog.
In my opinion, Radiohead should be in Prog Related section.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2015 at 13:53
^I agree with you, along with Swilson. Clown

Edited by SteveG - August 21 2015 at 13:59
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Svetonio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2015 at 13:58

^I agree with you, along with Swilson.
Nope.

Crossover prog.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>