Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Radiohead: What happened?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2015 at 13:58
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Well.....I have never really cared for Radiohead....simply not my cup of tea, and the last few albums have not improved their status with me.
I do like Wilson though his last two solo things have not impressed me as much as others here at PA and the work he did in the past with Porcupine Tree was more to my liking.
All in all I could care less what happened to Radiohead.

They're not really my cup of tea either, Doc. They're just an interesting topic for a discussion to me as one as one is seen as prog while the other is not.

I'm confused now...I thought you said that they were both (Radiohead and Wilson..) listed as crossover prog..?
Confused
PT is listed as heavy prog btw.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2015 at 13:59
Yes, Swilson is crossover and PT is heavy. Wtf? Confused
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2015 at 14:05
Alt
. Rock

Edited by SteveG - August 21 2015 at 14:13
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2015 at 14:12
Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

Just a reminder, this was Radiohead at their heydays:
A mainstreamy alt. rock band.
heyday? lol. Not sure that the single of a debut album from a band whose members have vocally denounced it counts as a heyday.
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2015 at 15:14
I've never liked Radiohead and have never considered them a prog band.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Pastmaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pastmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2015 at 15:36
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

+1
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2015 at 17:26

If you're going to go that rout you might as well at least try to get some facts right. Creep was the hit single from their debut album in the early 90's, where people thought they might end up as a one trick pony by being the UK's answer to Grunge. Their hey day, by every measure going, was the late 90's and early 2000's when they had albums like OK Computer, Kid A and Amnesiac. Interestingly enough these three albums are the main reasans they get called prog.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2015 at 17:37
Kid A is Prog, with an alt. rock twist. Or is it alt. with a Prog twist ?? Whatever it is, it's a great album.   
It's definitely an album worth owning.

Edited by Tom Ozric - August 21 2015 at 17:40
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2015 at 18:03
Any lovers of Radiohead seem to be in the minority in this thread.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zravkapt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2015 at 19:15
Magma America Great Make Again
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2015 at 20:19
I love The Bends. It is not prog, but the album is great.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2015 at 22:20
Those of you saying Radiohead isn't prog are listening to the wrong Radiohead. Pablo Honey, their debut and undoubtedly most radio-friendly, is what many people consider to be the sole indicator of their style. Kid A and Ok Computer, on the other hand, are full-blown prog masterpieces. While they're overtly "commercially friendly" and you might find that some "normal" music listeners seem to like them too, that doesn't mean it's not prog. Like come on, how can you not think this is prog?

It's not Genesis, obviously, but it has just about everything prog relies on - fusion of classical and jazz elements, free song structure, experimental instrumentation, and a basis this time in indie rock rather than the classic rock of the 70s. The band is clearly crossover prog, fusing very much so prog elements with more modern and commercially-friendly rock elements. Obviously they're not for everyone, but they are very much so prog.

Edited by Andy Webb - August 21 2015 at 22:24
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2015 at 22:25
ClapClapClapClapBeerThumbs UpHandshake
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Svetonio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2015 at 00:30
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

If you're going to go that rout you might as well at least try to get some facts right. Creep was the hit single from their debut album in the early 90's, where people thought they might end up as a one trick pony by being the UK's answer to Grunge. Their hey day, by every measure going, was the late 90's and early 2000's when they had albums like OK Computer, Kid A and Amnesiac. Interestingly enough these three albums are the main reasans they get called prog.
LOL! Give me a break, sleeper! What I'v been posted? I posted a live video with their the most popular song ever (something as e.g. My Generation  was / is for The Who through decades of Rock) from their concert at Reading Festival '94; actually it was filmed nine years since the band was formed, two years since the debut EP was released and one year after the full-lenght debut was released. At that video from Reading Festival everybody can see how much the festival crowd at the time was thrilled by their British mainstreamy alt.rock music that is defined as a genre pretty precisely in Creep as well. 
Do you wanna see some more of Creep
Okey, aI have never been selfish re my posts when those posts are necessary for cooling the hotheads aswell, here is a MTV live footage (almost one million views at YouTube in 5 years since the video was posted in 2010 and with pretty affirmative comments that are posted recently) from one the majors European festivals Rock Am Ring in Germany, 1994, and also a footage from their gig in Milan, in 1995, where the crowd was in delirium although Mr York was singing that very drunk (btw, very evidently drunk LOL ) and also the live video from Glastonbury 1997. 

As you can see, and as everybody can see as well, the audience is roaring always when they were started playing Creep in 90s due to the fact that their 90s audience was 99,9% the mainstream alt.rock audience, not prog audience
That also means that the middle of 90s and the second half of decade represents undoubtedly the heydays of career of, at the time, very mainstreamy alt.rock band called Radiohead, and I couldn't care less if they were "an answer to U.S. grunge" or not.
Kid A, released in 2000, is an artistic peak of their career without a doubt, and the only one Radiohead's album that we, say, "original" prog fans, who were growing up with the 70s prog rock acts (btw, we are a "nasty" audience who was learned that a drunk singer at the stage could be only sh*t LOL) could call progressive rock  album.

Sadly, after Kid A, undoubtedly comes the qualitative decline of the band' studio work, and over the past 15 years they have not recorded anything that could be even compare with that really great impression of Kid A the album. For us, the fans of progressive rock who were listening to and saw live in our youth THE artists as Yes, Jethro Tull, Zappa, etc., as current acts as well,  there is nothing interesting released by Radiohead before and after Kid A the album and a few proggy songs from OK Computer as e.g. Exit Music (Music For A Film) as well.

Edited by Svetonio - August 22 2015 at 01:15
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Svetonio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2015 at 00:33
Originally posted by Andy Webb Andy Webb wrote:

Those of you saying Radiohead isn't prog are listening to the wrong Radiohead. Pablo Honey, their debut and undoubtedly most radio-friendly, is what many people consider to be the sole indicator of their style. Kid A and Ok Computer, on the other hand, are full-blown prog masterpieces. While they're overtly "commercially friendly" and you might find that some "normal" music listeners seem to like them too, that doesn't mean it's not prog. Like come on, how can you not think this is prog?

It's not Genesis, obviously, but it has just about everything prog relies on - fusion of classical and jazz elements, free song structure, experimental instrumentation, and a basis this time in indie rock rather than the classic rock of the 70s. The band is clearly crossover prog, fusing very much so prog elements with more modern and commercially-friendly rock elements. Obviously they're not for everyone, but they are very much so prog.
In my humble opinion, a mainstream alt.rock band with one prog album should be in Prog Related section.
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Svetonio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2015 at 00:43
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Any lovers of Radiohead seem to be in the minority in this thread.
That's good sign because it says that this esteemed Forum is still to be a progressive rock Forum Wink
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Svetonio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2015 at 00:47
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap

Edited by Svetonio - August 22 2015 at 00:48
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2015 at 01:07
Do not worry Andy, we're an a****le too.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2015 at 01:12

Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Svetonio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2015 at 03:27
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Kid A is Prog, with an alt. rock twist. Or is it alt. with a Prog twist ?? Whatever it is, it's a great album.   
It's definitely an album worth owning.
There was a nice and accurate tag for that, and it's Art Rock. These are albums such as 10cc' The Original Soundtrack, Roxy Music's debut album, the first solo album by Brian Eno, David Silvian's Brilliant Trees, Talk Talk's Spirit of Eden or Kid A by Radiohead. Amazing English Art Rock what have a long tail in 60s with The Beatles' A Day In The Life  the song... Why "we" were replaced such historical term with "crossover prog", and in some cases "prog related", I have no idea Dead

Edited by Svetonio - August 22 2015 at 03:29
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>