Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Radiohead: What happened?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 9>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2015 at 11:16
The electronic experimental sound is not the problem on their last albums. The new songs are really bad. Thumbs Down
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2015 at 11:19
^As long as its a music related answer, I'll take it.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2015 at 11:28
I really enjoy their last couple of albums, I like the direction they've taken.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2015 at 16:15
I like the direction, but I have doubts on the driver Wink
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2015 at 23:26
I have a little exaggerated by speaking of bad songs. Radiohead  didn't write very  bad things, simply because they have good taste. I like that cover of one of the best Smiths song. A big influence of the band.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtmS2ePSSdU
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2015 at 14:13
Alas the radios went to their heads...
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2015 at 17:14
I Heard OK Computer (and Grandaddy Sophtware slump) when they came out and at a point when most progressive music seemed at its lowest ebb in the mainstream music media.. for me, i heard echo's of something which connected with elements of bands like VDGG and king crimson.. they also caught a feeling of the time (which later was manipulated into EMO- so my kids told me..) and resonated personally. I do rate their music though i dont listen to much of their music these days (my son passed me 'in Rainbows' which i did really enjoy) and Thom Yorkes recommendation of Sigur Ros turned me on to them before they became massively popular. I like Early Porcupine tree and have seen SW a few times live (and enjoyed the show- how could such a fantastically talented band of session players not be fantasic!) but am increasingly  (and sadly)un-impressed by his recorded output. Are either Progressive?? I think Radiohead are progressive but not 'Prog' whereas SW is increasingly 'Prog' and yet becoming less progressive.

Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Svetonio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2015 at 20:56
Originally posted by Prog-jester Prog-jester wrote:

What is "emo music"? (...)
Emo music was a genre that was / is hard to define almost as prog, but also the genre that managed to be demonized by the mainstream media. You may have heard the stories that some kids committed suicide "leading by Emo music". It's all sh*t, of course, but suddenly it was started to be inconvenient for any band to be tagged 'emo', and Radiohead is no exception, so Radiohead fans are refusing to acknowledge that Emo aesthetic influence on their beloved band although that influence is pretty obvious in Radiohead's music and lyrics.

Edited by Svetonio - August 28 2015 at 21:03
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LearsFool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2015 at 21:14
Wacko

For a proper definition of emo, since apparently Rites of Spring wasn't enough of a reality check, it was originally short for emotive/emotional hardcore. Hardcore punk + melodrama. The emo most people are familiar with is the product of the pop punk craze of the '90's catching up with emo circa 2001, resulting in Jimmy Eat World's Bleed American and a whole fad in its wake.

Now, Radiohead has no emo influence. If they did, then they'd clearly be a punk band, just one that might seem odd to people familiar with usual punk.
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Svetonio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2015 at 01:12
Originally posted by LearsFool LearsFool wrote:

Wacko

(...) Radiohead has no emo influence. (...)

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

Btw, Emo was not only a musical genre as it was also a lyrical style.

Edited by Svetonio - August 29 2015 at 02:21
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2015 at 08:41
Lyrics which reflect personal dissapointment, sadness, introspection, loneliness, alienation from society or/and environment do not make something 'Emo'!!!Confused otherwise much of Peter Hammill, Scott Walker, Nick Cave, Roy Harper, Keith Reid (Procul Harum), Barclay James Harvest or Moody blues lyrical output would be considered Emo! Lots of songs over generations have been written about and address these themes and that of depression.. The mildly Gothy 'Emo' youngsters that my children were and hung out with just looked for music and lyrics that reflected their own awkwardness and 'sense of being' at that age (as did we when we were that age).. most moved on quickly to metal of one form or another or just grew out of it.. One or two didnt and there are some truely sad and awful stories but it is not the music or fashion that caused the issues it was the eternal need of young people to connect with something which reflects how they feel inside.

Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Svetonio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2015 at 09:41
^ OH Yeah and I Hate When People Call Stuff Emo, Man I hate when people call stuff EMO LOL LOL LOL

Joking aside, e.g. The Bends  is an alt.rock / emo album without a doubt.

Edited by Svetonio - August 29 2015 at 09:42
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2015 at 10:06
There is also this genre called 'Shoegazing' (or have i gone completely nuts again?Clown) which i dont quite understand but i have heard it used in reference to what early Radiohead were about.. not sure.. think it could apply to quite a few of the more 'down' sounding and lo-fi bands of the 90's (like Grandaddy, Mercury Rev etc)
The Bends is probably the lp which has most of those 'Alt rock' elements and is certainly lyrically the scratchiest, itchiest howling teenage angst of all which is why i can see that it could be related it to 'Emo' as a genre. In OK Computer it all became more adult, more focused less senselessly thrashing about in the dark.

LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LearsFool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2015 at 10:53
Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

Btw, Emo was not only a musical genre as it was also a lyrical style.

Wrong.

There is no single lyrical style connected to the myriad of bands in the genre. The connections are musical and in the delivery of the lyrics infinitely more than anything else. By your metric, either the first two waves of emo aren't emo because they don't have the lyrical stylings of the third wave you're dimly aware of, or third wave isn't because it had different lyrical stylings than Jawbreaker and Sunny Day Real Estate. And, remember for once, emo is a punk style, and the vocals are melodramatic. Since when is Radiohead punk? And is there anything about Thom Yorke's vocal style that suggests melodrama? No.

Quit beating a dead horse, especially when it's already paste.
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LearsFool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2015 at 11:08
Originally posted by Cosmiclawnmower Cosmiclawnmower wrote:

There is also this genre called 'Shoegazing' (or have i gone completely nuts again?Clown) which i dont quite understand but i have heard it used in reference to what early Radiohead were about.. not sure.. think it could apply to quite a few of the more 'down' sounding and lo-fi bands of the 90's (like Grandaddy, Mercury Rev etc)

Ah, shoegaze! Wonderful genre. Don't know why anyone would tell you early Radiohead had anything to do with it... but anyways, it sounds like this:

Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Svetonio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2015 at 11:38

(...) And, remember for once, emo is a punk style, and the vocals are melodramatic. Since when is Radiohead punk? And is there anything about Thom Yorke's vocal style that suggests melodrama? No. (...)
LOL! Thom York's voice was so unique at that time that there was none needed for him to use that melodramatic trash.
Though, there was that punkish influence in their 90s songs and you simply can't deny it.

Edited by Svetonio - August 29 2015 at 11:41
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LearsFool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2015 at 11:42
Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

(...) And, remember for once, emo is a punk style, and the vocals are melodramatic. Since when is Radiohead punk? And is there anything about Thom Yorke's vocal style that suggests melodrama? No. (...)
LOL! Thom York's voice was so unique at that time that there was none needed for him to use that melodramatic trash.
Though, there was that punkish influence in their 90s songs and you simply can't deny that.

So you've just discounted the most important part of your own argument. If Radiohead's not melodramatic, there's not a snowball's chance in a supernova of them being emo.

Besides, the closest thing they have to punk influences are Joy Division, Magazine, and Siouxie Sioux.
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Svetonio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2015 at 11:49
Oh no, not that Emo band again! LOL

Quote The only reason Thom stopped doing this is because Thom from the future came back through time after the performance and told him not to be such an angsty little c**t.  Thus began Radioheads descent into moody bleeps and bloops.

LOL LOL LOL

Edited by Svetonio - August 29 2015 at 11:59
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2015 at 12:11
Emo? Shoegazing?

The roflcopters are circling the lolcano.
What?
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2015 at 12:47
He's not even fooling himself anymore.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 9>