Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2015 at 16:50
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

WYWH is not a concept album, and was a "forced" album by the record company to have something that was closer to DSOTM. The stuff that some folks thought would be after DSOTM, was NOT released, and was delayed and later came out as "Animals". Roger just recently released these with the redone version of SOYCD, which is the first time he has admitted that the material was already there, though the bootlegs have shown it for at least 2 years prior!

The 2 pieces about the industry was PF's finger, that they were big enough and could do that!

SOYCD was probably something that they created in 5 minutes while David was in the loo, and probably had a few lyrics, that were comments that they had made while discussing beers in heaven! SYWH is the perfect fake "neo-" something or other. The only two things in there that are worth any value as a Pink Floyd piece would be the two big pieces against the music company.

WYWH is a very disappointing album and in my book, the weakest of all PF albums! It would have been better to even release the original version of the Greatest Gig in the Sky with Syd sounding like he was a priest on a pulpit delivering a sermon ... on the way to his end! It would have been a bit sardonic, and sadistic, but at least it would be real, and on par with London theater and film, instead of rock'n'roll stupid goon'ery and supposed this and that supposed tragedy. If it was you or I, only our ma and pa would care.

Naturally, I disagree with nearly everything you have stated.

First, Wish You Were Here is certainly a concept album. The album cover relates to the concept: "getting burned" as two businessmen, one on fire, engage in an empty handshake, the stickers accompanying the cover have two robotic hands shaking (again, mirroring the mechanical nature of the gesture), and the back cover feature a disembodied and faceless "suit" handing out albums in the desert. Like DSotM, there are seamless segues from one song to another (one, before the song "Wish You Were Here", features the mindless chatter of a cocktail party, and the song "Shine on You Crazy Diamond" acts as both intro and outro on the album, with parts I to V at the start and parts VI to IX at the end.

Second, Floyd was not "forced" to record the album. Please provide facts when making your absurd opinions you blurt as facts.

Third, the songs that were later titled "Dogs" and "Sheep" (called originally "You Got To Be Crazy" and "Raving and Drooling") and "Shine on You Crazy Diamond" were attacked by critics (Syd Barrett fans) when they were first were played during their 1974 tour. This so irritated Waters that when Floyd entered the studio, he carried his disdain with him and completed the conceptualization.

Fourth, "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" features some of the best blues guitar passages Gilmour ever created, and it is a song Gilmour has continued to play for decades. It would seem he spent a lot of time in "the loo" working out the licks. Likewise, the song "Wish You Were Here" is so genuinely loved by so many avid listeners because the pain and regret is genuine in the lyrics, particularly since it not only touches on the loss of Syd Barret but on Waters' grandfather who died during that time period. People, including myself, identify with the sadness and regret the song engenders.

Fifth, you might not care for the album, but it was in no way a "disappointment" either in record sales or critical acclaim - or respect by prog fans who rate it highly. Please attempt a bit of objectivity before drunkenly bashing your shoe upon the pulpit.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2015 at 17:03
hi,

Welcome to the machine, DE ... and make sure you kiss it good!

Cleaned up. I was incorrect, on the bootleg and found that there indeed was a version of SOYCD, which tells you how good it was that it was almost ignored, though not intentionally.

The anger and comments about the record company including the pictures, are no secret to anyone. The pictures and the cover only show the hassles of dealing with the machine, including the "devil", on fire.

Edited by moshkito - August 30 2015 at 11:16
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2015 at 17:13

hi,

Welcome to the machine, DE ... and make sure you kiss it good!

I had a bootleg with the 3 pieces from Animals, 3 days after the LA series of concerts of DSOTM. It's why I BOUGHT IT at the time! And was already looking forward to their next album. WYWH was the biggest disappointment and sapping piece of crap that PF ever did, except for those 2 pieces!

The rest is not worth a discussion, since anyone can create a story about nothing or something or anything, as if t were any different than what you said! I guess that anything sounds better than nothing in the media, especially a fan kissy website!
First, I call bullsh*t on your bootleg. There were two songs - not three - played that eventually were released on Animals. The third was "Shine On You Crazy Diamond". If you are going to lie, at least get your points straight.

And obviously, the rest is not worth a discussion to you because fact always intrudes on your fantasy, and renders your baseless opinion as half-baked as the hash resin in your hookah.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2015 at 17:21
Originally posted by The Dark El The Dark El wrote:

First, I call bullsh*t on your bootleg. There were two songs - not three - played that eventually were released on Animals. The third was "Shine On You Crazy Diamond". If you are going to lie, at least get your points straight.

(updated as I did have an error!)

Not worth the discussion since you will not even check the play lists! Raving and Drooling and Gotta Be Crazy for sure ... and I am not even sure what the third piece was now, but there were 2 songs on one side and 1 song on the other side. And it was indeed an early version of SOYCD. My apologies for missing that, but it tells you how effective and nice it was, that compared to other stuff it was accidentally dismissed.

The album I had was from the Sports Arena show in LA, which is the same show that Dean mentions.

But, obviously, because they are not "legal", bootlegs can not tell any history, specially here, so your version is the official one!  Bootlegs be damned, so the record company is kissed again! Such a corporate attitude, that it will kill a lot more progressive music than otherwise, even though now things are quite different.

No worries, you can have all the glory you want!

Edited by moshkito - August 30 2015 at 11:28
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2015 at 17:27

Originally posted by The Dark El The Dark El wrote:

Not worth the discussion since you will not even check the play lists! Raving and Drooling and Gotta Be Crazy for sure ... and I am not even sure what the third piece was now, but there were 2 songs on one side and 1 song on the other side, and none of them were SOYCD.

But, obviously, because they are not "legal", bootlegs can not tell any history, specially here, so your version is the official one! You are the God of information!

No worries, you can have all the glory you want!
Isn't that precious! You crow about a bootleg you allegedly got three days after the concert and now you have no clue what the third song was. As I said, bullsh*t.

Facts, Mosh, facts. You can look it up yourself, rather than making up things to make you look good, in your usual narcissistic manner. Every concert has the songs lists that were played. Again, historical fact is your friend. Use it some time.

Edited by The Dark Elf - August 29 2015 at 17:28
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2015 at 17:38
Oh my giddy aunt. Pedro, give it up dude, your posts are so full of wrong they are in danger of imploding. 

The boot you refer to is, of course, "British Winter Tour '74" and that features a 23 minute version of Shine On You Crazy Diamond along with Raving and Drooling and You Gotta Be Crazy. Since Floyd never toured the USA in 1974 and certainly didn't play those three songs prior to 1974 it is a temporal impossibility for you to have bought that bootleg after seeing them in LA but before WYWH was released. (FFS).

Also, with regard to your comments about Great Gig In The Sky - for the second time of telling - Syd's voice was never used on that song, nor Roger's nor David's, the voice samples on the early mixes (including the organ version that is variously titled "the religious song" or "the morality sequence") were of a commentator from the Apollo moon landings, a tv evangelist and British pundit Malcolm Muggeridge.

Edited by Dean - August 29 2015 at 17:54
What?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2015 at 17:54
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Oh my giddy aunt. Pedro, give it up dude, your posts are so full of wrong they are in danger of imploding. 

The boot you refer to is, of course, "British Winter Tour '74" and that features a 23 minute version of Shine On You Crazy Diamond along with Raving and Drooling and You Gotta Be Crazy. Since Floyd never toured the USA in 1974 and certainly didn't play those three songs prior to 1974 it is a temporal impossibility for you to have bought that boot leg after seeing them in LA but before WYWH was released. (FFS).

Awwww, Dean! You spoiled my fun! If Mosh had continued I was going to then mention that the three songs in question, "Shine On You Crazy Diamond", "Raving and Drooling" and "You Gotta Be Crazy" were only played in Britain and France during 1974. Wink

Edited by The Dark Elf - August 29 2015 at 17:56
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2015 at 17:56
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

The boot you refer to is, of course, "British Winter Tour '74" and that features a 23 minute version of Shine On You Crazy Diamond along with Raving and Drooling and You Gotta Be Crazy. Since Floyd never toured the USA in 1974 and certainly didn't play those three songs prior to 1974 it is a temporal impossibility for you to have bought that boot leg after seeing them in LA but before WYWH was released. (FFS).

Awwww, Dean! You spoiled my fun! If Mosh had continued I was going to then mention that the three songs in question, "Shine On You Crazy Diamond", "Raving and Drooling" and "You Gotta Be Crazy" were only played in Britain and France during that tour. Wink

LOLyou Ninja's every reply I was typing in response to Pedro I had to leap in with something before you got there. Tongue  
What?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2015 at 17:58
^ Well, in hindsight, a second voice of sanity makes the discussion that much better.Big smile
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2015 at 11:22
Hi,

At least I was honest enough to update my posts ... you two are simply beating a dead dog, or horse, instead of being more helpful!

The only class you are showing is how others are wrong, and you are always such a righteous and correct person ... that the deodorant even smells!
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2015 at 11:29

Hi,

At least I was honest enough to update my posts ... you two are simply beating a dead dog, or horse, instead of being more helpful!

The only class you are showing is how others are wrong, and you are always such a righteous and correct person ... that the deodorant even smells!
"At least I was honest...." LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

No, you outright lied, you were called out on it, and now you are futilely trying to cover your tracks. Don't waste time trying to spin outrage and accusing others of classlessness.

One can gild sh*te, but naught can hide the reek.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2015 at 11:31

Awwww, Dean! You spoiled my fun! If Mosh had continued I was going to then mention that the three songs in question, "Shine On You Crazy Diamond", "Raving and Drooling" and "You Gotta Be Crazy" were only played in Britain and France during that tour. Wink

What a crock of poop. This was also played in LA, at least! And I am not the only person that was there!

You want to ask Jim Ladd about this? You should!

Now you are saying that no one in LA saw anything! What a crock! And you guys go around saying I'm wrong instead of helping correct a few errors. Makes one wonder how twisted you guys really are. Yes you both know things well, but instead of adding to the discussion and help correct the details (which I did, btw!), you kill it!

Show your class, not your crass!

Edited by moshkito - August 30 2015 at 11:34
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2015 at 11:42

What a crock of poop. This was also played in LA, at least! 

Now you are saying that no one in LA saw anything! What a crock! 
You should really consider apologizing at this point.

As Dean already pointed out, Floyd did not tour the U.S. in 1974 (they only toured Britain and France). The three songs in question were not played in the U.S during the 1973 tour. The only time you could have heard these songs live in the U.S. were during the 1975 tour when the songs were in their finished form. The bootleg you claim to have purchased with songs that didn't exist in 1973, three days after a concert that didn't exist in 1974, came from concerts in Britain. Complete set lists are available online for your perusal.

Go ahead, look it up. Then apologize. You are looking more and more silly every time you post.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2015 at 11:51
Here, I'll help you, since you don't seem to be 'net savvy. Los Angeles, April 26, 1975:

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2015 at 11:56

Hi,

Sorry if it seems we are beating you, I thought I was actually being helpful by posting facts that you were too f**king lazy to check yourself. 

[lecture]Back-editing posts is bad form and impolite, the only possible reason to change a previously quoted post is to make the person who commented on your post look bad. Edits are permitted for speloing and garmmer errars but changing them to make yourself look right when you were wrong is simply a poor show. If you must post a correction then do it in a new post. [/lecture]

The album I had was from the Sports Arena show in LA, which is the same show that Dean mentions.

The British Winter Tour 74 boot was (huh) recorded in Britain in 1974 from the show at Trentham Gardens, Stoke on Trent - Shine On was played in its entirety with out a break. The LA sports arena show was in April 1975. This was obviously after WYWH had been recorded in the studio but prior to its release. By the time of the American tour Shine On had been split into two parts with Have A Cigar in the middle. The set-list for that show given on SetListFM.com gives the opening two tracks as Sheep (previously known as Raving and Drooling) and Dogs (previously known as You Gotta Be Crazy) and Shine On in two parts split by Have A Cigar, the boot from that concert (called "Sheep and Dogs") is definitely not the album you describe because of this splitting of Shine On.

Now, no matter how you read it, your original post (which fortunately Greg quoted in full so your back-edits are in vain) was full of wrong - it wasn't an accidental error, it was a whole mess of inaccuracies.

Now if you must throw a hissy fit, please observe some decorum and do it quietly. Stern Smile

Edited by Dean - August 30 2015 at 12:16
What?
Floydoid View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2015 at 12:04

Fifth, you might not care for the album, but it was in no way a "disappointment" either in record sales or critical acclaim - or respect by prog fans who rate it highly. Please attempt a bit of objectivity before drunkenly bashing your shoe upon the pulpit.

Many Floyd fanatics (such as myself) rate it as an album made at the peak of their creativity (before Roger's megalomania started to set in). 

And the finest they ever released.
'We're going to need a bigger swear jar.'
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2015 at 12:14

An "accidental" error:

It would have been better to even release the original version of the Greatest Gig in the Sky with Syd sounding like he was a priest on a pulpit delivering a sermon ... on the way to his end! It would have been a bit sardonic, and sadistic, but at least it would be real, and on par with London theater and film, instead of rock'n'roll stupid goon'ery and supposed this and that supposed tragedy. If it was you or I, only our ma and pa would care.

which after I posted the correct information gets clumsily back-edited to:

when the Greatest Gig in the Sky had a lot of things in it, some of which almost came off like Syd's.

...and still contains errors. The name of the song is Great Gig In The Sky, and the early versions (aka "the religious song" and "the morality sequence") are nothing like Syd's anything.

To refresh your fogged memory cells:

What?
Stann View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2015 at 11:39
Who cares. Afterall, it is only "2112" lp we are talking about.

Regards concepts,  what I'd really like to hear is for some clear wit to fudge-factor Procol Harum's " first side of "Shine On Brightly", linking it thematically with the epic side 2.

The title track is clearly anti-religion.
The opening track "Quite Rightly So" sings of a person "in need of saving grace" because his "eyes refused to see" and how he desperately wants to be instructed basically because he is ignorant. In otherwords, the sheer gullibility of the simple-minded, or easily-manipulated.

But the remainder of side one?
For instance, what the heck is "Skip Softly (My Moonbeams)" about? Can you tie that in with the theme of religion?(Or man's passage thru life?)
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2015 at 06:50
2112 is obviously a concept piece. Not the whole album. This is the problem with confusing music with formats and look at the problems you may very well run into with Cygnus being on the end of AFTK and Hemispheres.

I would have thought WYWH was / is a concept album, with the personal (Syd) and the context (industry) as the points of illustration of depersonalization / alienation being the over-arching idea encompassing related values (y'know, like two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl). Seemed clear, even to me. Unless it wasn't which is why I had to play it so often. And still got it wrong.

** the off topic bits**
The legality of bootlegs cropped up... it is not illegal to own a bootleg. Indeed my town's public library has a CD of Pompeii. Which has not been officially released on CD. It is illegal to sell unauthorized recordings much the same as it is to distribute (free) legitimate ones. Distribution of unauthorized recordings is their courtesy of artist's permission (most tacitly or early agree. Fripp doesn't - he sells **all** - yes, crappy audience recordings as well - KC boots on DGM. For someone who claimed illicit recording was a form of rape he decided to sell all these - occurrences). Oh, and neither does his disciple, Steven Wilson. Which is a shame as P Tree boots are often fantastic experiences and the main way I became acquainted with a lot of P Tree music when so much was out of print).

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123