FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat Laibach Learned in North Korea

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: What Laibach Learned in North Korea
    Posted: August 26 2015 at 06:55
http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/news/cannabis-and-the-sound-of-music-what-laibach-learned-in-north-korea-20150825
Quote Cannabis and 'The Sound of Music': What Laibach Learned in North Korea

Laibach

By Kory Grow

Last week, the avant-garde industrial group Laibach became the first-ever Western rock group to perform in North Korea's capital, Pyongyang. The band, which formed in 1980 in what was then the communist country Yugoslavia and is now Slovenia, performed a short set last Wednesday that was mostly composed of tunes from The Sound of Music and other covers, as well as some Laibach originals at the city's Ponghwa Theatre and an acoustic set at the Kum Song music school. The shows, dubbed the Liberation Day Tour, marked the 70th anniversary of Korea's independence from Japan after World War II.

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/news/cannabis-and-the-sound-of-music-what-laibach-learned-in-north-korea-20150825#ixzz3jvA1Z7gv
Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook

zappaholic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2015 at 07:23
I only own one Laibach album (1996's Jesus Christ Superstars), so I'm not what you'd call a huge fan, but they seem to have done a lot of interesting stuff over the years.  I suppose I'm more intrigued by the idea of Laibach than by the band themselves, if that makes sense.

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -- H.L. Mencken
 Post Reply Post Reply