Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2015 at 14:38
Neither.

http://fryingpanmedia.com
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2015 at 15:25
A self conscious lyricist is usually not very good. Someone who identifies simply as a "songwriter" usually does a better job with conveying thoughts and feelings (even if that person solely focuses on lyrics) and knows how to link together both the music and the lyrics so that one compliments the other, instead of one competing with the other. It's a very subtle but important aspect of songwriting that most beginners or amateurs get wrong. 

Edited by SteveG - September 02 2015 at 15:36
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2015 at 22:23
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

A self conscious lyricist is usually not very good. Someone who identifies simply as a "songwriter" usually does a better job with conveying thoughts and feelings (even if that person solely focuses on lyrics) and knows how to link together both the music and the lyrics so that one compliments the other, instead of one competing with the other. It's a very subtle but important aspect of songwriting that most beginners or amateurs get wrong. 
I recognize wisdom when I hear it ...by and large.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2015 at 22:32
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

I used to write words and music, but I can't sing for Censored . But in all honesty, I've never written one decent song, mostly because I did not have a grasp on the songwriting basics (lyrical theme, melody, refrain, chord progressions, etc.).

<span style="line-height: 1.4;">I haven't checked into the Composers/Songwriters Association and Improvisation threads in months. I might  never go back to that.</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">
</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">So, I've went with Option #4.</span>

It was Option 4 for me too. I can't sing either. I enjoyed those threads, though. Don't stop.
Duly noted. Right now beyond my extension of the key calculation method to modes I can't think of anything right now. I can keep experimenting with instrumental textures, but the problem is that I don't have good instruments and recording equipment, so my judgment of a product will be negative no matter what. Good ideas are usually quite expensive. Besides, I'm not that gifted for melody and form, so ... . Hence my writing block.
Good ideas are expensive. Indeed.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2015 at 02:00

I used to write words and music, but I can't sing for Censored . But in all honesty, I've never written one decent song, mostly because I did not have a grasp on the songwriting basics (lyrical theme, melody, refrain, chord progressions, etc.).

I haven't checked into the Composers/Songwriters Association and Improvisation threads in months. I might  never go back to that.

So, I've went with Option #4.

It was Option 4 for me too. I can't sing either. I enjoyed those threads, though. Don't stop.
Duly noted. Right now beyond my extension of the key calculation method to modes I can't think of anything right now. I can keep experimenting with instrumental textures, but the problem is that I don't have good instruments and recording equipment, so my judgment of a product will be negative no matter what. Good ideas are usually quite expensive. Besides, I'm not that gifted for melody and form, so ... . Hence my writing block.
Good ideas are free.

Rick Wakeman tells the story of David Bowie inviting him round to his home to hear a new song he wants Wakeman to play keys on, Bowie walks over to a collection of guitars and picks up the crappiest one and plays the song. When he's finished Wakeman asks why he played it on that guitar and not one of the better ones Bowie replies that if it sounds good on this it will sound good on anything.
What?
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2015 at 09:40
Deep down, I think we all are. I mean, there's a great book existing in all of us. And if you place a roomful of chimpanzees in front of typewriters, they'll probably come up with the next great American novel. How do you like them apples?
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
TGM: Orb View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2015 at 10:07
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Deep down, I think we all are. I mean, there's a great book existing in all of us. And if you place a roomful of chimpanzees in front of typewriters, they'll probably come up with the next great American novel. How do you like them apples?

Doubt it.
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2015 at 11:01
Last option.  I played drums in my youth, but these days I'm simply a listener, nothing more.
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2015 at 12:26

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

I recognize wisdom when I hear it ...by and large.
+1. Great post, Steve.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2015 at 12:33
Thank you, both. It's something I had to learn the hard way, so I hope my experience helps others to move a bit quicker into being an effective songwriter.

Edited by SteveG - September 03 2015 at 16:05
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2015 at 12:50
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

I haven't checked into the Composers/Songwriters Association and Improvisation threads in months. I might  never go back to that.

So, I've went with Option #4.

Good ideas are free.

Rick Wakeman tells the story of David Bowie inviting him round to his home to hear a new song he wants Wakeman to play keys on, Bowie walks over to a collection of guitars and picks up the crappiest one and plays the song. When he's finished Wakeman asks why he played it on that guitar and not one of the better ones Bowie replies that if it sounds good on this it will sound good on anything.
In that case I suppose I should have been more careful when I've made that general statement. Some good ideas are free.

There was a time when I would quickly reject an idea if it didn't work on my crappy guitar. It would or would not be accepted if I played it on a guitar with an amp that were purchased at a hefty price. I was inspired by Banco to come up with an idea for the piano that's basically a melodic chord progression + a changing bass line (probably in the key of Gm), but the idea must have come at a price of a Darwin!  CD.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - September 03 2015 at 12:51
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2015 at 21:55

Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

<span style="line-height: 1.4;">
</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">So, I've went with </span><u style="line-height: 1.4;">Option #4<span style="line-height: 1.4;">.</span>

Good ideas are free.

In that case I suppose I should have been more careful when I've made that general statement. Some good ideas are free.

There was a time when I would quickly reject an idea if it didn't work on my crappy guitar. It would or would not be accepted if I played it on a guitar with an amp that were purchased at a hefty price. I was inspired by Banco to come up with an idea for the piano that's basically a melodic chord progression + a changing bass line (probably in the key of Gm), but the idea must have come at a price of a Darwin!  CD.

Ha! Great anecdote, Dean. And a good point to take home about songwriting broadly. I'll be happy to concur with Dayvenkirq's modification of his own claim to "Some good ideas are free".

Edited by HackettFan - September 03 2015 at 21:56
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2015 at 22:14
Originally posted by TGM: Orb TGM: Orb wrote:

Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Doubt it.
Yeah, first-of-all, chimpanzees aren't American...
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2015 at 13:58
Thank you, Dr. Goodall.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Dr. Occulator View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2015 at 13:11
I write lyrics, sing, play many instruments and write music and I'm very good at all of it.
No lack of self-confidence and above all a very humble soul. Thank you for your interest. Clap
My Doc Told Me I Have Doggie Head.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2015 at 22:12
Originally posted by Dr. Occulator Dr. Occulator wrote:

I write lyrics, sing, play many instruments and write music and I'm very good at all of it.
No lack of self-confidence and above all a very humble soul. Thank you for your interest. Clap
Cool, man. Which choice did you pick? I should have had a 'do it all' choice.
hieronymous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2015 at 18:44
I think I voted play an instrument but don't write lyrics - but actually I'm a play an instrument/sing/don't write lyrics person. Bass guitar is my main instrument, I can sing but prefer not to, and I do not write lyrics.

In fact, I find that I often don't listen to lyrics at all, or at most on an occasional basis. I know that there are many other people that focus in on lyrics, but I am not one of them. I actually got into a drunken fight with a friend - I said that I don't really listen to lyrics, he started going off that it wasn't possible to listen to music without listening to the lyrics, something clicked in me and I started accusing him of denying my very being by blanket rejecting my perspective and experience - it's funny, I had totally forgotten that until this thread started! It happened maybe 2005? so ten years ago, in Japan! The bar owner was a really cool guy, totally into music, and he was getting worried - it must have seemed like we were really fighting!

Even if there is a song I like, I have a really hard time remembering lyrics for some reason. I need to have them written someplace in front of me, so I can at least check each time I have a chance - I think I'm just a slacker and don't bother putting in the effort to memorize them - aren't there people that could easily recall lyrics? Maybe it's different when they are your own? But then, I don't write lyrics...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2015 at 23:50
Originally posted by hieronymous hieronymous wrote:

I think I voted play an instrument but don't write lyrics - but actually I'm a play an instrument/sing/don't write lyrics person. Bass guitar is my main instrument, I can sing but prefer not to, and I do not write lyrics.

In fact, I find that I often don't listen to lyrics at all, or at most on an occasional basis. I know that there are many other people that focus in on lyrics, but I am not one of them. I actually got into a drunken fight with a friend - I said that I don't really listen to lyrics, he started going off that it wasn't possible to listen to music without listening to the lyrics, something clicked in me and I started accusing him of denying my very being by blanket rejecting my perspective and experience - it's funny, I had totally forgotten that until this thread started! It happened maybe 2005? so ten years ago, in Japan! The bar owner was a really cool guy, totally into music, and he was getting worried - it must have seemed like we were really fighting!

Even if there is a song I like, I have a really hard time remembering lyrics for some reason. I need to have them written someplace in front of me, so I can at least check each time I have a chance - I think I'm just a slacker and don't bother putting in the effort to memorize them - aren't there people that could easily recall lyrics? Maybe it's different when they are your own? But then, I don't write lyrics...
Wow, many of us feel the same way. I remember someone listening to Abacab on the radio. He changed it as soon as it transitioned to the instrumental section. I asked him what he was doing, since I suffered through the vocal with some anticipation for the instrumental (of course it's cheesy from the start, but the instrumental is a slight reprieve. He explained that he couldn't relate to music that wasn't centered around vocal. Amazement was my reaction. The same thing turned me off of Marillion by the third album. They never did any instrumentals, so I had enough of them by then.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123