This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2015 at 15:48
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Originally posted by Nightfly Nightfly wrote:

Aja....never been mad on Mike Oldfield but Steely Dan....absolute class.

^this...........never understood all the love for Oldfield; music to fall asleep to.

Why is "music to fall asleep to" not a good thing? His music is great for that purpose Tongue

Edited by Meltdowner - August 30 2015 at 15:49
Komandant Shamal View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2015 at 00:26
i voted for "Aja".
t d wombat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2015 at 03:35
Wow .... and I fear there might just be the odd further wow as we plod through the field .... or should say ride the ridge ?

Anywho we have in Aja one of the great seventies west coast mafia albums and for me an album of damn near perfection. As has been noted Ommadawn is surely Oldfield's peak. Despite my misgivings as to Aja's right to be here and Ommadawn's worthiness I'll not dredge that up again, we simply have here two of my all time   favourites. (Piss off spell check, I'm Australian, we spell favour favour not favor, so there. Tongue) Sigh ... I first heard Ommadawn in a house I part owned in the country. It was the same time as I was falling head over heals in love with my darling Wombette. Heart ... this is yours. Mind, you are out of luck.  LOL 
Andrew B

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.” ― Julius Henry Marx
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2015 at 04:03
I have voted for Aja before, but in the duel with Ommadawn it's an easy choice: I much prefer Ommadawn, one of my favorite Oldfield albums. 
digdug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2015 at 10:29
love Steely Dan

but

Ommadawn gets my vote easily
Prog On!
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2015 at 21:55
M Oldfield
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
TGM: Orb View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2015 at 09:41
OK, relistening to Aja - 

I don't hate it, the execution is generally excellent. The vocals/lyrics are somewhere between beige and revolting at any given moment. There's the occasional transcendental moment stirred in among the general prissiness of it all.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2015 at 09:57
Oldfield blows away all things Steely Dan.
symphonicman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2015 at 16:22

Mike Oldfield, Ommadawn.

Master James of St. George.
Of the fields and the sky.
He used to build castles of stone, steel, and blood.
But lines get broken down.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2015 at 15:37
Originally posted by TGM: Orb TGM: Orb wrote:

OK, relistening to Aja - 

I don't hate it, the execution is generally excellent. The vocals/lyrics are somewhere between beige and revolting at any given moment. There's the occasional transcendental moment stirred in among the general prissiness of it all.

Apart from "Do it Again", I could never stand Steely.  I don't know if prissy is quite the word I would use, but I understand that they were studio perfectionists, so that would fit.  My problem is in their halfheartedness, as if they are trying so hard to come up with a hook that sounds like they weren't trying.  I have a similar problem with 90% of Paul Simon's solo work.  I cannot tolerate what I perceive as a lack of enthusiasm.  I am glad there is a website where Mike Oldfield can beat Steely in a poll, and that I am involved with it.

Edited by kenethlevine - September 09 2015 at 15:38
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2015 at 17:42
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

OK, relistening to Aja - 

Apart from "Do it Again", I could never stand Steely.  I don't know if prissy is quite the word I would use, but I understand that they were studio perfectionists, so that would fit.  My problem is in their halfheartedness, as if they are trying so hard to come up with a hook that sounds like they weren't trying.  I have a similar problem with 90% of Paul Simon's solo work.  I cannot tolerate what I perceive as a lack of enthusiasm.  I am glad there is a website where Mike Oldfield can beat Steely in a poll, and that I am involved with it.

hmmm ... for me Steely Dan is superbly played and produced with pleasant often very witty lyrics though yes, I can see why some people might find it a bit cold and unemotional. Otoh for me Mike Oldfield is superbly played and produced with pleasant often very witty lyrics though yes, I can see why some people might find it a bit cold and unemotional.  Smile

These are two of my all time favourite albums. I gave Ommadawn the nod but it could have gone either way.

Edited by t d wombat - September 09 2015 at 17:43
Andrew B

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.” ― Julius Henry Marx
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2015 at 03:00
Relistening to Ommadawn... I'd forgotten just how unusual and beautiful this opening is. His timing and feel on the solos is always compelling stuff and it's a little less THIS or THAT genre at any given moment than Tubular Bells is. Falls apart a tiny bit when the ensemble comes in, some of the instrumentation is really unusually integrated and nice to have, other bits are stuff Floyd was doing around the same time. The melancholic brass reminds me a little of Roy Harper's colliery band on When An Old Cricketer Leaves The Crease (also the same year, off an album recorded with Bill Bruford and Chris Spedding among others).

That descending bit near the start of the second side feels like it goes on forever. I feel some of the thing with Oldfield is that taking anything out and criticising it in particular feels irrelevant but honest to god some of the parts are much weaker than the whole. His acoustic playing is immaculate and more in line with what British folk musicians of the 60s and early 70s were doing, which is refreshing given 90% of prog acoustic guitar is either classical or sleepytime rock stuff for children.

The harp/whistle section is beautiful. Horseback has grown on me a lot melodically but the Moody Blues-y spoken word is so flat in the delivery it's professionally offensive to me. I suppose the aspiration was to sound a bit like the narrator of one of the many psychedelic British children's TV things of the time. I hate children's choruses. I f**king hated it on Another Brick In The Wall. I f**king hated it on Annie. I f**king hate it here. Shame it ends on such a pointed flop.

Anyway, my verdict's for Ommadawn. I think it's somewhat shy of a masterpiece but there's a huge amount of heart there and a lot of style/melodic ideas/instrumentation we very rarely see in the narrow church of PRAWG RAWK. Not as much so as the transcendental Si On Avait Besoin D'Une Cinquieme Saison that got beaten out by some piece of sh*t album last round but there you go.
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2015 at 03:58
AJA without an hesitation.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2015 at 16:27

Relistening to Ommadawn... I'd forgotten just how unusual and beautiful this opening is. His timing and feel on the solos is always compelling stuff and it's a little less THIS or THAT genre at any given moment than Tubular Bells is. Falls apart a tiny bit when the ensemble comes in, some of the instrumentation is really unusually integrated and nice to have, other bits are stuff Floyd was doing around the same time. The melancholic brass reminds me a little of Roy Harper's colliery band on When An Old Cricketer Leaves The Crease (also the same year, off an album recorded with Bill Bruford and Chris Spedding among others).

That descending bit near the start of the second side feels like it goes on forever. I feel some of the thing with Oldfield is that taking anything out and criticising it in particular feels irrelevant but honest to god some of the parts are much weaker than the whole. His acoustic playing is immaculate and more in line with what British folk musicians of the 60s and early 70s were doing, which is refreshing given 90% of prog acoustic guitar is either classical or sleepytime rock stuff for children.

The harp/whistle section is beautiful. Horseback has grown on me a lot melodically but the Moody Blues-y spoken word is so flat in the delivery it's professionally offensive to me. I suppose the aspiration was to sound a bit like the narrator of one of the many psychedelic British children's TV things of the time. I hate children's choruses. I f**king hated it on Another Brick In The Wall. I f**king hated it on Annie. I f**king hate it here. Shame it ends on such a pointed flop.

Anyway, my verdict's for Ommadawn. I think it's somewhat shy of a masterpiece but there's a huge amount of heart there and a lot of style/melodic ideas/instrumentation we very rarely see in the narrow church of PRAWG RAWK. Not as much so as the transcendental Si On Avait Besoin D'Une Cinquieme Saison that got beaten out by some piece of sh*t album last round but there you go.

"Roy Harper's colliery band on When An Old Cricketer Leaves The Crease (also the same year, off an album recorded with Bill Bruford and Chris Spedding among others)."

ClapClapClap    Love it, always have.

Ref Harmonium .... also clapping. An album I discovered through the polls and am thoroughly enjoying.

Otoh ... while I tend to agree with you re the sprogs, Oldfields flat delivery on Horseback is for me a plus. It suits the image of a dry Englishman out in the country. Something with more pizzazz to it would have ruined it for me.

I think I mentioned earlier that I saw Oldfield do Ommadawn (Pt 1) live and it was way better than I had hoped.

Andrew B

Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2015 at 16:38
Though Aja is not my favourite SD album, it gets my vote (largely useless, alas), as I am not a big fan of Oldfield's music as a whole.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2015 at 21:19
Aja.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2015 at 07:45
Originally posted by t d wombat t d wombat wrote:

"Roy Harper's colliery band on When An Old Cricketer Leaves The Crease (also the same year, off an album recorded with Bill Bruford and Chris Spedding among others)."

ClapClapClap    Love it, always have.

Ref Harmonium .... also clapping. An album I discovered through the polls and am thoroughly enjoying.

Otoh ... while I tend to agree with you re the sprogs, Oldfields flat delivery on Horseback is for me a plus. It suits the image of a dry Englishman out in the country. Something with more pizzazz to it would have ruined it for me.

I think I mentioned earlier that I saw Oldfield do Ommadawn (Pt 1) live and it was way better than I had hoped.

Oh, I don't think his delivery needs to be dramatic or anything, just a little more, I'd like a little more expressiveness. If you're fond of the spoken word stuff, I'd recommend John G. Perry (briefly of Caravan)'s Sunset Wading, which has a lot of the same from Rupert Hine. A very good and curious little album.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2015 at 08:09
We have that John G. Perry album, and need to spin it more often. It is, indeed, very good, and rather unique.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12