Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 4th Round Class: Birds of Fire v. The Rotters Club
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed4th Round Class: Birds of Fire v. The Rotters Club

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: Pick One!
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
26 [44.07%]
33 [55.93%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: 4th Round Class: Birds of Fire v. The Rotters Club
    Posted: August 29 2015 at 07:50
Next up... a battle of two greats! In previous rounds we did song samples, great PA's reviews, with this round I wanted to do something a different. So I went outside PA's..  what do people outside of this site say about these albums.

First up..

The Mahavishnu Orchestra - Birds of Fire

In 1973, hard rock ruled the universe. But Birds of Fire , a pure instrumental jazz-rock album, managed to crack into the Billboard Top 20 Rock Charts. This was unheard of. And so was the music.

Birds of Fire advanced fusion into the modern age, a mere year after the band's The Inner Mounting Flame had given it its real birth. Rock and jazz fans from all over the world tuned into the Mahavishnu Orchestra and it seemed as if there was no end in sight. Jan Hammer now played the MOOG synthesizer, and the new voice it added to the band was elevating. Sure, by foregoing the roughness of the electric piano, some of the band's anarchy was gone. But in its place, the Mahavishnu Orchestra offered jazz-rock anthems. The band's tunes were carefully built, musical brick by musical brick. Fully fleshed-out themes filled the ears, and the rhythmic intensity was strangely comforting. This was despite the fact that at any second, the course of the music would change so drastically that you needed a seatbelt. This album was recorded LOUD. In a strange and wonderful way, the loudness of the music served as a shelter from all of the problems of the outside world. And believe me, there were plenty of troubling things going on at the time.

The most outstanding piece is "One Word." "ONE WORD" is THE WORD. On no other tune ever recorded by the Mahavishnu Orchestra does each member contribute so much. This was the first MO tune I ever heard, and I will never forget the chill that went up and down my spine when the band kicked in after Billy Cobham's quasi-martial drum solo.

"Birds of Fire," which opens up the album, is a fusion classic. John McLaughlin scares the hell out of his guitar with his melodic convulsions. If you ever want to frighten a musical neophyte, turn your stereo up really loud and play the cover tune - it's guaranteed to send him or her fleeing. "Resolution" and "Hope" ended side one and side two of the original LP, and this juxtaposition gave the record more meaning than the continuous play CD. You could take a much needed breath while you flipped the record.

The Inner Mounting Flame and Birds of Fire set the standard for great fusion music in the 1970's. It is too bad commercial considerations eventually led many companies to "pimp" from their success. McLaughlin never did, and it cost him a lot of money.

and against Birds of Fire.. we have..

Hatfield and the North - The Rotters Club

Featuring some of the most stunning musicianship ever associated with England's Canterbury scene, Hatfield and the North's second LP features, like their eponymous debut, Dave Stewart on keyboards, Phil Miller on guitar, Richard Sinclair on bass and vocals, and Pip Pyle on drums (supplemented by a few guest instrumentalists and the ever-ethereal Northettes with their "la la" backing vocals). The participants show an admirable sense of restraint and, like their Canterbury peers, are careful to avoid the pomposity and bombast of better-known prog rockers of the era, such as Emerson, Lake & Palmer and Yes. The Hatfields' convoluted instrumental passages segue into the occasional Sinclair vocal vehicle, in which the exemplary bassist sings in a polite and mellow croon that utterly avoids melismatic displays, histrionics, or over-emoting; in other words, his style -- closer to, say, Bing Crosby than, say, Joe Cocker -- would likely cause many 21st century pop music listeners to scratch their heads with bemusement. And the songs' rather whimsical lyrical content, while perhaps another conscious attempt to steer clear of the pretentiousness of the typically overbearing prog rock song style, certainly reflects a '60s/'70s mindset more than a 21st century one, so today's jaded listeners should realign their expectations. Things get off to a strong start with "Share It," a catchy little number with Sinclair expressing some idealistic and hard-to-criticize Brit hippie sentiments. Elsewhere, the "songs" are few and far between, but crop up in odd spots nevertheless; the Hatfields were masters of the segue and the most accomplished demonstrations of instrumental technique wind up bleeding into ditties that might seem out of place to some.

But Stewart, Miller, Sinclair, and Pyle all make wonderful instrumental statements. Particularly noteworthy are Miller's two short jazzy numbers, "Lounging There Trying" and "Underdub," which, with their sparkling electric piano work from Stewart, have a light and airy improvisational feel despite rather thorough scoring; Pyle's propulsive "Yes No Interlude" with its furious melding of Stewart's keyboards and the sax of guest Jimmy Hastings; and Stewart's 20-minute opus "Mumps." The latter is particularly impressive, with everything anyone would want from an extended-form Canterbury-style workout. The piece ebbs and flows through nimbly executed thematic passages and variations, featuring one of Stewart's most compelling themes and also one of the best fuzz organ solos that he (or Mike Ratledge or David Sinclair for that matter) ever recorded. Smack dab in the middle of it all, another Sinclair-sung tune arrives, this time making punning use of letters of the alphabet. But the suite gets back on track with a dramatic instrumental coda, melding spacy effects, more great organ playing from Stewart, and spectacularly executed unison lines from Miller and Hastings in crescendo before the final fade. The Virgin Records CD reissue features several live bonus tracks (also found on the Afters compilation), including two comparatively crazed and heavy Miller instrumental pieces recorded in France and, from a date at the Rainbow Theatre in London, Sinclair's "Halfway Between Heaven and Earth," which has a bit more of the feel of his vocal work with Caravan than with the Hatfields. Too bad there's a premature fadeout during another great Stewart organ solo. One wonders where the band was headed with that.

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
TGM: Orb View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2015 at 08:12
A bloody great fusion album against what might be the finest, weirdest, bubbliest example of Canterbury or jazz fusion on the site. I'm liable to go for The Rotter's Club. Will give em both another listen first, though.
The Bearded Bard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2015 at 08:25
Like Birds of Fire, love The Rotters' Club. Easy decision.
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2015 at 08:56
Rotters for sure. They don't need my vote yet.
Magma America Great Make Again
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2015 at 09:56
^ hopefully it won't 2 weeks from now.

Easily TRC...
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2015 at 10:09
Rotters top 5 all time, fantastic album
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2015 at 10:49
Mahavishnu with no dubt.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2015 at 12:43
Two of my favorites...will have to see how this shakes out before voting.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2015 at 17:03
Chalk up another one for the Rotters.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2015 at 17:39
These polls are getting harder but Birds Of Fire for me...just.
akaBona View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2015 at 18:42
Though I love Birds of Fire lot, it can't beat The Rotter's Club. Canterbury masterpiece, one of the greatest albums ever!
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2015 at 19:14
A hard one indeed but I give best Canterbury album to Of Queues and Cures.

BoF

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2015 at 19:39
Rotters' Club. Love it.
Nerds of Tyre. Meh.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2015 at 20:53
not a fan of either but Rotters Club at least has that Canterbury whimsy
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2015 at 01:13
The Rotters Club
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2015 at 09:03
Again, just voted against Mahavishnu Orchestra for the unjust victory against Area.
- From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2015 at 09:52
hahahha Clap That makes two of us man...  I need to start a poll on that. 

biggest disappointments of the tournament...  so many options LOL

Birds of Fire over Arbeit Macht Frei?  oh that was bad.. but was it the worst

so many contenders for that crown of forumite failures at the voting booth...

Crime of the Tournament is probably the front runner.. first over Sulle Corde di Aries.. ok .. understandable.. it isn't a well known album even among prog fans.. but over Uomo di Pezza.  THAT was a crime against prog AngryLOL

those two stand out.. but were they the only ones.. oh no.. that is why these contests are so much fun.

The Hatchet album not merely beating the Squire album.... but massacring it.

then there is the little album that could.. I A Moon falling against that SWilson album.

more than a few surprises as well

how well the Triumvirat  album did... beating Waterloo Lily.  Never saw that coming...  for a group and album whose fanclub seemed to consist of one person on this site LOL

Steely Dan making the 4th round... and not against a weak draw.. beating greats of Zeuhl, Fusion, and Symphonic prog to get there.

the surprises of the tournament though.. are shared and both in the modern section.

SWilson going out in the 3rd round to a album perhaps many, myself included, had never heard before the tournament... and little ol' Jean Louis making the 4th round.

Edited by micky - August 30 2015 at 09:55
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2015 at 10:04
Oh, yeah. I complaint about Supertramp as well.

There is a limit for complaints? I hope not.LOL
- From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2015 at 10:07
when it comes to complaining about the tastes of our fellow forumites.. the sky is the limit man!!! LOL
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2015 at 10:43
The first second of Rotters Club is worth more to me than the whole of Birds of Fire.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>