Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 4th Round Class: Ceux Du Dehors v. Voyage of the A
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed4th Round Class: Ceux Du Dehors v. Voyage of the A

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Poll Question: Pick One!
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
35 [50.00%]
35 [50.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: 4th Round Class: Ceux Du Dehors v. Voyage of the A
    Posted: August 29 2015 at 08:06
Next up... a reprise of the Battle of Little Bighorn! LOL

In previous rounds we did song samples, great PA's reviews, with this round I wanted to do something a different. So I went outside PA's..  what do people outside of this site say about these albums.

First up..

Ceux Du Dehors by  Univers Zero

I didn't expect this from 1981
As a prog rock fan, as many as already know, if you're not into neo-prog, don't think Marillion was the savior of prog in the 1980s, you know many great prog albums released after 1977 or '78 were rather slim pickings (with a brief resurgence in the early '90s thanks to groups like Änglagård). Of course there were some gems during those lean years, but nothing like the 1969 to 1977 time period.

Univers Zero were one of the leading RIO groups. RIO (Rock In Opposition) was originally the name of a festival founded by Christ Cutler who obviously wanted an outlet for groups to express themselves in opposition to the punk and disco that dominated the landscape at the time. It eventually became a genre itself (that included Henry Cow, naturally, plus Univers Zero, Samla Mammas Mamma, Art Bears, and so many more, either from groups that performed at those festivals, or those that played in this style). So obviously a lot of this music was even more complex and challenging than anything that came before. If you thought Gentle Giant was complex, get a load of Henry Cow (and Univers Zero)! Of course Univers Zero is definitely up your alley if you enjoy Henry Cow or the more "out there" moments of King Crimson. Unlike Henry Cow, there's none of that jazz influence, and unlike Crimson, not as so rock. It's pretty safe to say, the guys from Univers Zero were simply listening to the same kinds of classical music (Bartok, Stravinsky, etc) as Crimson or Cow.

Univers Zero had been through many lineup changes, in 1980-81, the group consisted of Michel Berckmans (bassoon, oboe, English horn), Daniel Denis (drums), Patrick Hanappler (violin, viola), Andy Kirk (keyboards, including harmonium, Mellotron, Yamaha CP-70 electric grand piano), and Guy Segers (bass).

Now I can't believe it, Ceux du Dehors was released in 1981 and that this album really does deserve the RIO tag. If by 1981, the big name prog acts had either broken up, or in the case of Genesis, turning to mainstream pop, Univers Zero created some unbelievably complex and challenging music, using an assortment of woodwinds, plus drums and even the Mellotron pops up on three cuts, which is something I don't expect from a recording this late! Truly in opposition to mainstream tastes. Like Henry Cow, you won't be able to "get it" on the first or even the tenth listen (unlike symphonic prog albums where you often get it on the third listen). Univers Zero has its share of detractors because there are people that will never "get it" (I can understand), and then there are those that need to be "in the mood". A lot of the music has this sinister feel to it. To put that point across, one of the cuts is titled "La Musique D'Erich Zann", Erich Zann a fictional character in H.P. Lovecraft's short story by the same name (that is "The Music of Erich Zann"), so you get a picture where this band was at. Put this album up against mainstream tastes or even how badly the major prog acts deteriorated by this point and you can see! This was music guaranteed never to be aired on MTV or played on your local FM station who overplays "Free Bird" to death. The old LP featured just six cuts, but in 1992 when Cuneiform reissued this on CD, they included a bonus cut, "Triomphe des Mouches" which is in the same vein as the rest of the album, which means it was cut from the same sessions. It was originally released as a one-sided single and included in the first 500 copies of Ceux Du Dehors, so if you're lucky to own the original LP that came with the single, you got a major collector's item!

I really think this is a great album, but I won't recommend this for those who want their music to be safe, that's for sure!

against UZ.. we have..

hahah

Voyage of the Acolyte by Steven Hackett

More Genesis than Genesis
After Peter Gabriel left Genesis, the remaining members took some time out to decide on what to do next. Guitarist Steve Hackett worked on his first solo album and the results were almost a Genesis album in all but name, with both Phil Collins and Mike Rutherford making guest appearances.
It is clear from this album that Steve's contributions within Genesis were very significant indeed. The same autumnal, English, pastoral feel that pervaded albums such as "Foxtrot" and "Selling England By the Pound" is prevalent on "Voyage Of The Acolyte". This album has a dark, haunting feel to it, emphasised by brother John's flute playing and the heavy use of mellotron and acoustic guitar. The album opens with the storming instrumental "Ace Of Wands" which has become a firm live favourite ever since. Hackett is very, very good at writing rock instrumentals. His back catalogue is littered with brilliantly executed pieces like "Clocks", "Sierra Quemada" and "Twice Around The Sun". Next up is the beautifully haunting "Hands Of The Priestess Part 1". This then segues straight into the fuzzy menace of "A Tower Struck Down", another classic instrumental. "Star Of Sirius" is significant in featuring a lead vocal from Phil Collins, a sign of things to come. The album is completed with the mighty "Shadow Of The Hierophant", with beautiful lead vocals by Sally Oldfield and ending with typical instrumental aplomb.
This was an excellent debut for Hackett. A bridge between the Genesis of old and the new and emphatically showcased not just what an excellent instrumentalist Hackett was, but that he had the compositional skills to match. Eventually the success of this album and his frustrations working within the confines of the band would lead to his departure.
This re-release is part of the remastering of Hacketts' first four albums he recorded for Charisma. The remastering was overseen by Hackett and sounds excellent. The sleeve notes and packaging have been put together by the highly esteemed team of Mark Powell and Phil Smee. Included as bonus material is an electrified live version of "Ace Of Wands" and an extended "Shadow Of The Hierophant". So all in all a truly impressive package and at this price you can't go wrong.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
TGM: Orb View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2015 at 08:10
This poll makes no sense whatsoever. I think Hackett had his first real breakthroughs into his own style on Spectral Mornings and Voyage, while well executed, is a bit of a dry run. That said, a lot of the songs are basically more charming examples of what Genesis were trying to do between 1976 and 1977.

I deeply admire Univers Zero but I'm not sure I'll be listening to it much after these polls - I'd be more liable to go back to some moderny-classical stuff like Bartok's quartets or Larks Tongues In Aspic's retake on them or Keith Tippett's solo piano business.

It'll take another listen, this one.
Disparate Times View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2015 at 08:12
UZ
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2015 at 08:32
Not voting just yet but that is one of UZ's best vs. an average Hackett album.
Magma America Great Make Again
The Bearded Bard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2015 at 08:34
Genesis Hackett for me.

Wink
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2015 at 09:45
bah....

vote for UZ and against Genesis clones...LOL
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2015 at 10:41
Acolyte is a good album but is nothing compared to the stunning Ceux Du Dehors, simply on of the greatest albums ever released
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2015 at 11:28
Univers
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2015 at 13:02
Stve Hackett, a perfect masterpiece

hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2015 at 13:22
Use the Zero
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2015 at 06:47
Univers Zero
ole-the-first View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2015 at 07:08
Univers Zero
This night wounds time.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2015 at 08:08
*spits coffee on monitor*

I will never ...ever... understand this forum LOL
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2015 at 08:54
Oh, cmon, guys!

You cant have sacrificed the Cow in the last one for nothing!

This poll is absolutely without chance fr Hackett.
- From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.
The Bearded Bard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2015 at 11:10
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

bah....

vote for UZ and against Genesis clones...LOL
Oh, c'mon, Micky, the guy was a member of the band for Christ's sake! LOL
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2015 at 11:20
Come on UZ!
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
wilmon91 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2015 at 11:30
Interestingly I bought "Acolyte" in july 1999 and "Ceux" in september 1999.

I'm a big Hackett fan and Acolyte, although not perfectly even, is great, and among my favourites.

I liked Ceux du Dehors mostly because of the "Combat" song, a standout track. There may have been 1-2 extra songs that I liked but the others didn't catch my attention too much from what I remember. I haven't listened to that album since 8-10 years or more but I know "Combat" very well so I have it in my head. Otherwise it wasn't an album I put on very often. Good album, but I would choose Hackett of course.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2015 at 11:51
^Thought Dense was the standout. Only my third favorite by them but still more than awesome enough. Listening to Bartok does not prevent me from digging UZ (or Art Zoyd). Quite the contrary.  
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2015 at 11:52
Ceux Du Dehors
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2015 at 13:04
*spits beer on monitor*
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>