Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 4th Round Class: Ceux Du Dehors v. Voyage of the A
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed4th Round Class: Ceux Du Dehors v. Voyage of the A

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Poll Question: Pick One!
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
35 [50.00%]
35 [50.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2015 at 13:06
go UZ!!!!

Screw SWilson.. he sucks.. Hackett doesn't..

this would be the upset of the tournament... of PA's history?

Edited by micky - August 30 2015 at 13:07
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
ole-the-first View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2015 at 14:09
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Screw SWilson.. he sucks.. Hackett doesn't..

When I was a child, I used to behave less childish, actually.
This night wounds time.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2015 at 14:11
same here...LOL 
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2015 at 15:10
the Hack
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2015 at 15:26
Might have voted for UZ over any other Hackett LP but Voyage has Shadow on it and that is one ass kicking prog song....so Voyage it is.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2015 at 17:06
Go UZI!!!
Magma America Great Make Again
Junges View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2015 at 18:33
18 to 18

now 19 to 18 with my vote.

UZ all the way. :)
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2015 at 19:37
Love Univers Zero, and I think Spectral Mornings would be stronger competitor to my mind, but I give the edge to Voyage of the Acolyte. I tied it up 19-19. Someone else will have to do the rest.
Komandant Shamal View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2015 at 00:36
i voted for "Voyage of the Acolyte" due to my love for that lp, but this poll is a big nonsense! Univers Zero with their album from 1981 - "classic prog"?     Wacko
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2015 at 01:00
Originally posted by Komandant Shamal Komandant Shamal wrote:

Univers Zero with their album from 1981 - "classic prog"?     Wacko
Its a 34 year old release coming from a pioneering band in the first generation of Rock In Opposition/Chamber Prog. Would you rather have placed it in a poll with Opeth or Radiohead?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2015 at 02:01
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Its a 34 year old release coming from a pioneering band in the first generation of Rock In Opposition/Chamber Prog. Would you rather have placed it in a poll with Opeth or Radiohead?
i already discussed about the matter here but nevermind because these polls are for fun only.
melotron98 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2015 at 02:51
Univers Zero!!!!
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2015 at 03:13

i already discussed about the matter here but nevermind because these polls are for fun only.
Your hung up on completely unimportant things. Most bands don't belong to either this or that specific genre or era. There no clear beginning or end to anything whether we're talking about periods or genres. Most people understand that. Modern can mean anything from 1910 to this autumns fashion depending on context.  

Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2015 at 04:30
Hackett definitely. Such a strong musical statement on his debut.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2015 at 06:51

Your hung up on completely unimportant things. Most bands don't belong to either this or that specific genre or era. There no clear beginning or end to anything whether we're talking about periods or genres. Most people understand that. Modern can mean anything from 1910 to this autumns fashion depending on context.  

if you click at the link that i gived to you in my previous post, you'll see that i asked basically the same question which you asked me in your first post adressed to me.
Micky said that for him e.g. Neo Prog is "modern prog".
As you know, Neo Prog is a style, subgenre, a derivate of Symphonic Prog.
so, is that 80s derivate of Symphonic Prog really deserved to be classified as "modern", or "classic prog" maybe?

Micky's periodization of prog is WRONG.

But as Micky insist on "modern prog" that was started in pre-digital era then that dividing point could be ONLY Rock in Oposition movement  in late 70s due to the fact that for the first time in the history of our beloved genre one group of the prog bands formed a movement  with a slogan - "the music the record companies dont want you to hear".
Those bands were reconstitute RIO as a collective and that was ONLY thing that was something really new, even revolutionary that happened to prog as a genre in late 70s and therefore only RIO as a subgenre of prog from that era could be called "modern" - i repeat, if  Micky insist that "modern prog" must be placed in pre-digital era, not in second half of 1990s, or 2000s, or even 2010s. 
it's way more logical for RIO movement - created by avant  bands what is very important moment - that to be called "dividing point" between "classic prog" and "modern prog", than Symphonic Prog's derivate called Neo Prog, Post Rock what is not prog for many fans especially outside of this forum, 80s Art Rock efforts as eg ambiental "Spirit of Eden", or Progressive Metal with its artistic origins in 70s melodic Hard Rock, 70s Symphonic Prog a la Yes and 70s Jazz Fusion.

p.s. 1910 you say? what about 1888 and Strauss' "Don Juan"?
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2015 at 07:14
What you seem to forget is that is a fun poll and the idea was to find a good point to split the bands and have fun interesting polls. It's not an intellectual exercise. Who cares if it's wrong, we've got a good mix of bands in both groups of polls. We were never going to meet everyone's definition, hell if we went with dr prog's definition there wouldn't be a modern prog poll at all as it all ended in 1978.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2015 at 08:54
Although I love both albums, UZ's album was released when prog had become deeply, I mean deeply, unfashionable (I know, I lived through it).  In fact, Hackett released Cured  the same year (81) and was going the way of the prog establishment (or at least, those still active during that period).  Given the context, my vote went to UZ as it bucked the overall trend towards simplification, or worse, 'pop acceptance'.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2015 at 09:39
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

What you seem to forget is that is a fun poll and the idea was to find a good point to split the bands and have fun interesting polls. It's not an intellectual exercise. Who cares if it's wrong, we've got a good mix of bands in both groups of polls. We were never going to meet everyone's definition, hell if we went with dr prog's definition there wouldn't be a modern prog poll at all as it all ended in 1978.
Yep....I think Micky is just having  some fun with these absurd pairings......I mean Hot Rats against Birds of Fire and Octopus against Ys are better pairings than the ones he did choose but not as controversial...........btw I thought all prog ended in 1979 according to Dr Prog? Wink
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2015 at 09:49
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Yep....I think Micky is just having  some fun with these absurd pairings......I mean Hot Rats against Birds of Fire and Octopus against Ys are better pairings than the ones he did choose but not as controversial...........btw I thought all prog ended in 1979 according to Dr Prog? Wink

The draw was random in the first round in the group stage (4 bands per group, 2 advance), after that it was a bracket format so survive and advance so there was no 'selecting' pairings, it was whoever they came up against when the bracket was originally drawn at random.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
t d wombat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2015 at 17:55

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

The draw was random in the first round in the group stage (4 bands per group, 2 advance), after that it was a bracket format so survive and advance so there was no 'selecting' pairings, it was whoever they came up against when the bracket was originally drawn at random.

Oh sure. Next you'll be telling us that the moon landings weren't faked. Tongue This is all just one great big conspiracy to play with our admittedly already paranoid heads.
Andrew B

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.” ― Julius Henry Marx
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>