Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 4th Round Class: Ceux Du Dehors v. Voyage of the A
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed4th Round Class: Ceux Du Dehors v. Voyage of the A

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Poll Question: Pick One!
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
35 [50.00%]
35 [50.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2015 at 18:50
Never was much of a fan of Hacket's solo stuff. Acolyte, to me, just sounds like a bunch of left over Genesis rejects with nothing terribly much to recommend them. Even back then it's time had passed. Genesis had already done the Lamb, Gabriel was gone and Trick was a new direction for the band. Thanks god that they didn't continue to produce this kind of piffle. Not to mention possibly the worst cover art imaginable.

Otoh, UZ ?  Exceptionable musicians no doubt and maybe I just havn't given it enough listens. What did the reviewer say ? Needs at least eight. eight ? Give me a break. I am not listening to something that I am not particularly enjoying eight times on the off chance that I will somehow get it. Life is simply too short and I havn't got enough of it left.

Soooo ... on the basis that I find UZ marginally less irksome than Acolyte .....

Edited by t d wombat - August 31 2015 at 18:52
Andrew B

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.” ― Julius Henry Marx
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2015 at 21:58
UZ
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2015 at 01:31
Originally posted by t d wombat t d wombat wrote:

Otoh, UZ ?  Exceptionable musicians no doubt and maybe I just havn't given it enough listens. What did the reviewer say ? Needs at least eight. eight ? Give me a break. I am not listening to something that I am not particularly enjoying eight times on the off chance that I will somehow get it. Life is simply too short and I havn't got enough of it left.
Life is too short not to. Or you can try their debut first.
t d wombat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2015 at 03:32
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Life is too short not to. Or you can try their debut first.

Shall do. Its worked before. Smile
Andrew B

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.” ― Julius Henry Marx
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2015 at 03:44
ACOLYTE 100%
Komandant Shamal View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2015 at 07:55

Never was much of a fan of Hacket's solo stuff. Acolyte, to me, just sounds like a bunch of left over Genesis rejects with nothing terribly much to recommend them. Even back then it's time had passed. Genesis had already done the Lamb, Gabriel was gone and Trick was a new direction for the band. Thanks god that they didn't continue to produce this kind of piffle. Not to mention possibly the worst cover art imaginable.

Wacko

Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2015 at 11:45
UZ by a lot. 
The more I listen to Voyage, the more it feels sort of like prog that goes well with tea & crumpets. Fine & all, but rather too proper for my derelict tastes. I prefer Hackett's more recent fare, although I haven't heard the newest with him & his gang of wolves on the cover...not sure where he's going with that, some alpha-male thing maybe?
t d wombat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2015 at 18:24
Originally posted by Komandant Shamal Komandant Shamal wrote:

Wacko

I appreciate where you are coming from but I was talking about the album as a whole not simply a live performance of a single track from 2012. My comments were intended to be a reflection on Hacket's choice of material, the lyrics and to some extent the production. If that was not clear then I do apologise. The man is without a shadow of a doubt an utterly splendid guitarist whose playing both with Genesis and Solo is to my mind as good as it gets. While there are many that equal his playing, there are only a few that surpass it.

Nonetheless I stand by what I said. While the Lamb does contain supernatural references, on almost every level it sounds as if it comes from a different era to Acolyte which to my mind sounds as if it predates even Selling England.
Andrew B

AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2015 at 08:42
Gave it to more Genesis stuff, Hackett.
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2015 at 10:24

i voted for "Voyage of the Acolyte" due to my love for that lp, but this poll is a big nonsense! Univers Zero with their album from 1981 - "classic prog"?     Wacko

If you don't like it Svetonio, don't participate.

Univers Zero by miles.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2015 at 15:04
*spits beer again on monitor*

one could have got rich taking odds on this... Vegas had Hatchet by 22.5 votes..  this is what we call a moral victory for long suffering avant fan.. no matter what the final result is LOL
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2015 at 15:21
If some people don't like these polls, why don't they start their own, instead of criticizing those who actually do something? As usual, it's easier to tear down than to build.
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2015 at 18:42
Easier than the GG vs. Renaissance poll; UZ by (billions and billions) of parsecs.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2015 at 18:53
need to stop drinking and opening this thread

*spits beer on monitor*
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2015 at 02:16

Wacko

I appreciate where you are coming from but I was talking about the album as a whole not simply a live performance of a single track from 2012. My comments were intended to be a reflection on Hacket's choice of material, the lyrics and to some extent the production.. If that was not clear then I do apologise. The man is without a shadow of a doubt an utterly splendid guitarist whose playing both with Genesis and Solo is to my mind as good as it gets. While there are many that equal his playing, there are only a few that surpass it.

Nonetheless I stand by what I said. While the Lamb does contain supernatural references, on almost every level it sounds as if it comes from a different era to Acolyte which to my mind sounds as if it predates even Selling England.
hey sorry mister and please dont panic but if you thought that you would be able to detract so easily [i.e. without any comments on your post] and call "a kind of piffle" this  five stars masterpiece  of symphonic prog by maestro Hackett then i'm afraid that you were terrible mistaken.

Edited by Komandant Shamal - September 04 2015 at 03:44
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2015 at 04:11
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

If some people don't like these polls, why don't they start their own, instead of criticizing those who actually do something? As usual, it's easier to tear down than to build.
as this is adressed to me i have to say that i didnt said that i dont like this funny social game what your husband builded with a big enthusiasm and a passion - in fact i said that i undertsand that these polls are for fun only, though that the periodization of prog is WRONG. And it is ridiculous periodization of "classic prog" and "modern prog" as per genres instead of decades of prog. IMHO, the "classic prog" would be called all the progressive music created by the bands who were relased their debuts before 1990.
Somebody else could say eg. "no, the modern prog was started with the new millenium", so okey, no problem, but periodization as Micky did - neo prog is "modern prog", RIO is "classic prog", etc - is WRONG.
thank you very much.
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2015 at 06:26
Go UZI!!!
Magma America Great Make Again
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2015 at 06:33
Go UZI!!!
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2015 at 06:41
Go UZI!!!
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2015 at 10:31

Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

as this is adressed to me i have to say that i didnt said that i dont like this funny social game what your husband builded with a big enthusiasm and a passion - in fact i said that i undertsand that these polls are for fun only, though that the periodization of prog is WRONG.

Who the f made you the Grand Expert of prog rock?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>