Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
43 [46.74%]
49 [53.26%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2015 at 22:37
Scheherazade for me. Octopus has some of GG's weakest songs of the 70-75 period although it has 3 or 4 strong tracks also
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
Komandant Shamal View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2015 at 00:23
i voted for "Scheherazade and Other Stories".
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2015 at 05:40
Go Renaissance.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2015 at 06:53
Godspeed You! Gentle Giant
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2015 at 08:41
wow Renaissance closing the gap!
digdug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2015 at 10:29
Octopus for me for sure
Prog On!
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2015 at 12:34
This is one of the hardest in this round of polls...
Okay, Octopus, but only by the length of a... sucker... you know, on the arms of the octopus
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2015 at 21:58
GG
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2015 at 08:49
Always struggled with som of GGs stuff, but still like them.  Went with Renaissance instead.
Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2015 at 08:54
Scheherazade gets the vote, a name that would eventually move on to represent a cool Japanese prog rock band in which its members would then move on to even cooler Japanese prog rock bands.

Funny enough though, the band Scheherazade seems to sound a lot more influenced by GG than Renaissance. 
Such a crazy world...
t d wombat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2015 at 19:32
So many people speak fondly of GG but I'm afraid I simply do not get it. Its not awful, indeed well played no doubt but another highly respected mob who have simply never wormed their way into my heart.

Renaissance on the other hand are obviously a whole lot easier to listen to than GG and seemingly just as competent. I confess that I find them a wee bit trite, too much hippy dippy for me to really love them but like yes definitely.

Looks as if the Giant is gaining the upper hand though. I should really give them both another good listening too before voting but .... not now ... Hybris hasn't finished yet. Big smile
Andrew B

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.” ― Julius Henry Marx
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2015 at 21:10
Originally posted by t d wombat t d wombat wrote:

So many people speak fondly of GG but I'm afraid I simply do not get it. Its not awful, indeed well played no doubt but another highly respected mob who have simply never wormed their way into my heart.

Renaissance on the other hand are obviously a whole lot easier to listen to than GG and seemingly just as competent. I confess that I find them a wee bit trite, too much hippy dippy for me to really love them but like yes definitely.

Looks as if the Giant is gaining the upper hand though. I should really give them both another good listening too before voting but .... not now ... Hybris hasn't finished yet. Big smile

Which albums have you heard from GG? I almost gave up on them with my first album, which was the Live "Playing the Fool". It was almost noise to my ears... or simply I didn't find any enjoyable melodies. Actually, I still don't particularly like it, and since I had heard The Power and the Glory on Youtube and didn't really like it much either, I thought I wouldn't bother more. But there was the song Strange Ways, which I did love, plus I had also heard Octopus on Youtube, and that one was OK, as much as you can take in with one such listen. So, somehow I ended up giving them another chance (some recomendations in the forum helped me make up my mind) and got their fist 4 studio albums, the ones that still had Phil... and well, Octopus was better than Playing the Fool, certainly, but the ones that I really got to love were their first 2 albums. They were much warmer and with more beautiful melodies to make contrast to their noisy weirdness... with 3 Friends they started to go into the more noise less melody mode, though.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2015 at 03:32
OK, I'll give Acquiring and three Friends a go. It is many years past but I know I did have GG on vinyl and it didn't do a great deal for me. We shall see but thanks for the suggestion. I think with many bands you need to find the one album that clicks and go on from there.
Andrew B

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.” ― Julius Henry Marx
David64T View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2015 at 07:19
Octopus is a great album, probably my favorite album from GG. I'm listening again to it now and loving it.

But Scheherazade has that epic, epic sidelong title track that grabs me, regardless of what the rest of the album is like - rather like Echoes from Meddle, or 2112...

So I've just temporarily reduced the minimal lead GG currently has...

Smile

And my cat has just left the room - she does not seem to like the screeching strings and shouty sounds of GG doing Troubador...
Seasons Of Change - weekly programme on community radio: http://seasonsofchangeradio.blogspot.com.au/
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2015 at 09:32

I would not rate Ren as equally competent as Gentle Giant.  Just about every member of GG was a multi instrumentalist and in concert could drop one instrument and pick up another, just like that. Also, their improvs, variations all reflected a lot of imagination which I have usually found somewhat lacking in Renaissance.  I would rate Minnear, Ray Shulman and John Weathers higher than Tout, Camp and Sullivan respectively.  Derek Shulman is not a great singer to say the least but then vocals aren't that important in prog rock and especially not in GG.  But they are a far more polarizing band than Renaissance, that I give. 
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2015 at 14:51

OK, I'll give Acquiring and three Friends a go. It is many years past but I know I did have GG on vinyl and it didn't do a great deal for me. We shall see but thanks for the suggestion. I think with many bands you need to find the one album that clicks and go on from there.

those are the two IMO that if you are going to enjoy the band.. that will grab you. They have more emotional depth, more atmosphere, in those that the whole lot of the rest of their albums have combined. They just don't impress with abiity..  they can be quite touching.  That kind of thing works for Fusion..lack of anything outside of technical displays of ability I suppose.. but for the most part GG impresses the head. but fails to really impact the soul..outside of those two albums

Edited by micky - September 03 2015 at 14:52
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2015 at 17:49
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

those are the two IMO that if you are going to enjoy the band.. that will grab you. They have more emotional depth, more atmosphere, in those that the whole lot of the rest of their albums have combined. They just don't impress with abiity..  they can be quite touching.  That kind of thing works for Fusion..lack of anything outside of technical displays of ability I suppose.. but for the most part GG impresses the head. but fails to really impact the soul..outside of those two albums

Nailed it I reckon. Fusion , it seems to me, is the land of all head no heart . GG meanwhile are loitering with intent, waiting for the opportunity to sneak across the border. They are/were talented no doubt about it and even I can appreciate that there is depth to what they do.

Andrew B

Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2015 at 18:02
Strange, I find Octopus to be their warmest and most listenable recording. Great melodies and interesting ideas and sounds.  Without trying too hard to be complicated like their more prog-cred albums.

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2015 at 18:02
I think you'll enjoy those two albums Tongue
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2015 at 18:24

Scheherazade by God!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>