Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 4th Round Moderns: Part the 2nd v. Detta Har Hant
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed4th Round Moderns: Part the 2nd v. Detta Har Hant

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Pick One!
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
14 [45.16%]
17 [54.84%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: 4th Round Moderns: Part the 2nd v. Detta Har Hant
    Posted: August 29 2015 at 08:50
Next up... a battle of two greats! In previous rounds we did song samples, great PA's reviews, with this round I wanted to do something a different. So I went outside PA's..  what do people outside of this site say about these albums.

First up..

Part the Second by Maudlin of the Well

Last night, I was up until 2:00 a.m. despite the fact I had to wake up early. I blame maudlin of the Well's brilliant new album, part the Second.

The story behind the recording of this album is amazing and shouldn't be glossed over. From 1999-2001, maudlin of the Well released three albums. The latter two, Bath and Leaving Your Body Map are among the most genius pieces of music I've ever heard. These albums seamlessly blend metal, jazz, and indie in an amalgamation that is breathtaking and awe-inspiring.

However, maudlin of the Well's avant-garde nature also kept them from being more widely known. They disbanded in 2001, some members of the group going on to form Kayo Dot, an even more avant-garde group, which, ironically, is more well-known than maudlin of the Well.

Yet over the years, through music message boards, forums, and blogs, maudlin of the Well slowly began to pick up a devoted following. They gained what notoriety they had the hard way — through the mouths of people who could not shut up about how great they are.

In a MySpace blog post in 2008, maudlin of the Well front man Toby Driver mentioned he wanted to record some older songs that were never recorded, but was restricted by financial issues. Response and enthusiasm from fans was massive. Several people made large donations so Toby and the band could accomplish this. The donations made it possible to go beyond the one song and record a full-length studio album, not an album of leftovers, but of mostly new material.

Yesterday on May 14, 2009, this dream and hard work manifested when part the Second, was released over the Internet completely for free, In Rainbows style.

I was among the first to download the album, and I was absolutely enthralled with what I heard. maudlin evolved their sound in a way that was unexpected and surprising to me. Most strikingly, though maudlin of the Well is considered a progressive metal band, most of part the Second is comparably soft and soothing, almost post-rockish. In fact, I would hesitate to call any part of this album metal, though glimmers of it are hinted at in various strains. The new incorporation of violin and piano blends in perfectly with the inimitable maudlin of the Well sound, and both instruments fit in as if they they had always belonged.

The compositional layering is practically on a symphonic-level cerebral listeners will enjoy its complexity. The sing of a good band is a natural, evolving progression from album to album, and maudln of the Well has achieved that. Hints of Kayo Dot abound, especially evident in track four, "Clover Garland Island," though the album itself is undeniably maudlin of the Well.

Part the Second is a softer listen than maudlin's other albums. Genre-wise, as with all of maudlin's music, it's difficult to classify. I would say it's highly experimental and would call it post-rock, perhaps post-metal. Track one is great, and is very laid back and relaxing. The piano outro at the end is reminiscent of Radiohead's "All I Need," to use the In Rainbows comparison again, though maudlin of the Well are nowhere near that band's genre.

Track two is a little harder – though hard, it is absolutely beautiful. Another highlight is the piano outro on the last track, which is the perfect ending for this album. Though picking highlights might cheapen the rest of the listening experience – know that I think that it is all good.

Fans of post-rock will love this new release. In fact, anyone who loves experimental music that pushes boundaries will love part the Second.

Of course, if you're already a maudlin of the Well fan or a Kayo Dot fan, or just love interesting music, what are you waiting for? If you have gotten this far, then chances are you're somewhat interested. Do yourself a favor and download this album – and why wouldn't you, when it is completely free? It is available in three different formats, including higher than CD quality, which will appease all the audiophiles out there. While we're on that note, download Bath and Leaving Your Body Map as well – they're now out of print and the CDs go for $50 plus on the Internet. No one's going to be losing any money off you, and from what I've read, the members of the band themselves are cool with this.

So what are you waiting for? Go listen to part the Second and download it at maudlinofthewell.net. You can also listen to it the site if you wish to hear it before downloading. And also, consider giving the band a donation, as they worked very hard on this release.

and in the far corner..

Detta Har Hant by Gosta Berling Saga

I just read on their website that Gösta Berlings Saga entered the Roth Händle Studios; the studio of former Änglagård drummer Mattias Olsson to start recording their third full length album. It should be ready for release in spring 2011, so maybe a bit late, but here is the review of their second release; 2009's Dette Har Hänt.

Gosta Berlings Säga, I believe, was named after a film of the same name from 1924. The film was based on a book written by Selma Lagerlöf - (she also wrote Nils Holgerssons in 1906-07 and received the Nobel Prize for literature in 1909. Since 1991 her picture is on the 20 Swedish Crown bank note.) in 1891. The film featured Greta Garbo. The band were formed in 2004 as Pelikaan but changed their name to Gosta Berlings Säga. They released their debut album; Tid är Ljud in 2006. That album received a DPRP Recommended review and now, three years later, the band releases their second album.

For this album the band consists of Gabriel Hermansson (bass), Einar Baldursson (guitar; replacing Matthias Danielsson), David Lundberg (keyboards) and Alexander Skepp (drums and percussion). Dette Har Hänt is an entirely instrumental affair. But who needs vocals when you write killer tunes. And that is what this album is full of. The album sounds vibrant, self assured, urgent and adventurous. It also sounds as if the band recorded the album live. There is a distinct 70s feeling present but the band combines this with an attitude that is firmly rooted in the here and now, not unlike other new bands like Astra, Zombi and Diagonal.

The album opener waists no time in letting the listener know what will be on offer for the next 45 minutes. David Lundberg's Fender Rhodes and Einar Baldursson's guitar backed by the tight rhythm section open the album with some great melodies but also some great and aggressive soloing on the aptly titled Kontrast. Music from bands like King Crimson, Landberk and Anekdoten come to mind. The song has a dark atmosphere and an atmosphere that will return on most tracks on the album.

Sorterargatan 3 however starts very stately with piano and acoustic guitar but around the three and a half minute mark the track starts to build and build with addition of a great guitar riff and mellotron strings. That's what these guys do very well. Slowly building up and slowly taking the song down again. Especially on the three longer tracks. The shorter tracks are more focussed on the melody and less on exploring where the track will take them. They share that spirit with a musician like Frank Zappa. It is Baldursson's guitar (beautiful acoustic guitar on the short Innilegur?) and Lundberg's keyboard work (mostly the Fender Rhodes sometimes with piano, Moog, pump organ or mellotron) that shine on this album (listen to Baldursson's mighty soloing on album closer Västerbron 05:30) - but let's not forget Skepp and Hermansson who form the solid backbone of every track.

It's difficult to pick highlights on this album but when held at gunpoint I would go for the mighty Fem Trappor, a track that combines a lot of energy with a great melody. And Bergsl*g.n a track that keeps changing colour and showcases the musical skills of this quartet best. The second part of this track sounds improvised.

With Detta Hart Hänt Gösta Berlings Saga have released an album full of impressive, instrumental, dark and sometimes psyche related music. And I'm really looking forward to their third album which I hope to review a little sooner after its' release date.

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2015 at 14:15
Going with GBS here.
Magma America Great Make Again
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2015 at 14:44
Had to pause to consider, but maudlin.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2015 at 16:52
Gosta
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2015 at 16:57
maudlin of the Well, easy.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

akaBona View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2015 at 18:50
Detta Har Hänt. No real contest here, though Part The Second is fantastic album ...
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2015 at 19:50
Gösta Berlings Saga.
Listen to this album when you water your cucumbers!
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2015 at 01:26
Part the Second
The Bearded Bard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2015 at 07:21
Gösta Berling's Saga - Detta har hänt
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2015 at 07:57
sitting again..  Not particularly familiar with the Maudlin album, and like Discipline, this album by GBS, is not the one that puts the gas in my engine.  Glue Works would have got the vote sight unseen.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
t d wombat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2015 at 20:04
Well well well, here we are again. Clap

I think I voted for Pt2nd last round but not for DHH.
I'm a little unsure but I'm leaning towards Pt2nd again though still without a lot of enthusiam. Reality is that both these albums are very good, no doubt about that at all, but I don't really feel any great urge to have another listen to either of them.
Think I'll hold off for a day or so. 
Andrew B

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.” ― Julius Henry Marx
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2015 at 21:54
S-Saga.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
symphonicman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2015 at 15:44

maudlin of the Well, Part the Second.

Master James of St. George.
Of the fields and the sky.
He used to build castles of stone, steel, and blood.
But lines get broken down.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2015 at 18:02
From the previous round Mickey sent me off to listen to Glue Works and I have to agree that it is the better album twixt it and Detta Har Hant. May even be a better album than Part. However this is between Part and Detta not Glue Works. I've been putting of decision here for days now and this is the last one outstanding.

Still dithering but musically Part is beginning to get under my skin. Lyrically not so much.

"An Excerpt From 6,000,000,000,000 Miles Before The First, Or, The Revisitation Of The Blue Ghost

I wept anew at the final words and the drawing silence of the Dynamo.
The light and fire that split the sky still unhinged my soul, and fear again within my mind took root.
I asked the fading Dynamo of the serpentine blaze which seemed to hold a life apart from the Trinity, and seemed stronger than their combined force.
I wondered aloud at the infernal flames that wrapped like boiling vines about the clouds, and illuminated them with an ethereal glow, and shot down with all the speed of a blinking eye, lost in thought and trying to count seconds.
I was answered with the steady pulse, the rhythm of the waves that spun slowly atop the dreamily oozing altar within the sunken structure that had no beginning or cause, save the toil of an immortal imagination.
When I left the sea and the brine and the undulating waves, the slight glow and shock still brushed against my flesh.
I still could feel the pull of the great unknown Dynamo."

Oh dear. LOL

Andrew B

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.” ― Julius Henry Marx
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2015 at 20:16
Nonetheless I'm going a bit Maudlin.
Andrew B

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2015 at 14:00
Originally posted by t d wombat t d wombat wrote:

From the previous round Mickey sent me off to listen to Glue Works and I have to agree that it is the better album twixt it and Detta Har Hant. May even be a better album than Part. However this is between Part and Detta not Glue Works. I've been putting of decision here for days now and this is the last one outstanding.

Still dithering but musically Part is beginning to get under my skin. Lyrically not so much.

"An Excerpt From 6,000,000,000,000 Miles Before The First, Or, The Revisitation Of The Blue Ghost

I wept anew at the final words and the drawing silence of the Dynamo.
The light and fire that split the sky still unhinged my soul, and fear again within my mind took root.
I asked the fading Dynamo of the serpentine blaze which seemed to hold a life apart from the Trinity, and seemed stronger than their combined force.
I wondered aloud at the infernal flames that wrapped like boiling vines about the clouds, and illuminated them with an ethereal glow, and shot down with all the speed of a blinking eye, lost in thought and trying to count seconds.
I was answered with the steady pulse, the rhythm of the waves that spun slowly atop the dreamily oozing altar within the sunken structure that had no beginning or cause, save the toil of an immortal imagination.
When I left the sea and the brine and the undulating waves, the slight glow and shock still brushed against my flesh.
I still could feel the pull of the great unknown Dynamo."

Oh dear. LOL

I may not know much.. but I do know great music Wink  Glad you liked that one. KILLER album Clap
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2015 at 14:01
and one of the few I haven't decided (voted) yet either... though I know which way my better half is voting so likely won't make a difference unless a flood of votes come in.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2015 at 17:01
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

I may not know much.. but I do know great music Wink  Glad you liked that one. KILLER album Clap

I presume you mean GlueWorks ? Worth the time.

Oh yes ... and thanks for the interview Raff. Smile
Andrew B

Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2015 at 17:08
You are very welcomeSmile!
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2015 at 17:20
Originally posted by t d wombat t d wombat wrote:

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

I presume you mean GlueWorks ? Worth the time.

Oh yes ... and thanks for the interview Raff. Smile

Love that album!

yeah.. she sounds sexier than hell doesn't she...

you should hear her when she is angry.. even sexier..LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>