Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 4th Round Moderns: Jurassic Shift v. In Absentia
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed4th Round Moderns: Jurassic Shift v. In Absentia

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Pick One!!
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
30 [49.18%]
31 [50.82%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: 4th Round Moderns: Jurassic Shift v. In Absentia
    Posted: August 29 2015 at 09:02
Next up... a battle of two greats! In previous rounds we did song samples, great PA's reviews, with this round I wanted to do something a different. So I went outside PA's..  what do people outside of this site say about these albums.

Jurassic Shift by Ozric Tentacles

Great purchase both for the fans and especially those who want to start exploring Ozricland. The album is one of the most accomplished of the line-up with Merv and Joie, with all their trademarks: beautiful atmospheres, great jamming and, of course, pure strangeness. Although it's not mentioned anywhere, the live version of Feng Shui, '...the art of walking through a forest treading on toadstools, but without breaking them...' of the ’98 edition is still at the end of the album (thanks Mike). My ears don’t pick up anything changed from that edition sound-wise so I’m guessing it hasn’t been remastered.

There's yet another live version of Feng Shui on the DVD, together with Jurassic Shift (in bright sunlight! At Reading!!), Pteranodon (high strangeness) and a jam at the Pongmaster's Ball. As usual, they deliver the goods on stage like nobody’s business. To wrap it up there's also the official video for Vita Voom – an one-off, as it's proving so far, an interview at Glastonbury sprinkled with excerpts from both Vita Voom and Jurassic Shift, as well as some rather pointless noodling in the studio.

Quite cool packaging too, with a wider take of the original artwork and a 22-page booklet with pictures and the story of the album – though the paper is not made of hemp, as in the original version. Couldn’t resist. Worth every penny.

In Absentia by Porcupine Tree

One day during my junior year of college, I passed by a friend’s room in our house. The room was dark and he was fast asleep inside. Nothing unusual, except that his stereo was blaring King Crimson’s Discipline at an ear shattering volume. I had never heard the band before, and I was quickly convinced that, if the devil had a den, this would be the house music: powerful driving polyrhythms; loud ominous guitars; and that curious, paranoid voice. Jaw dropped, while my friend slept, I sat around for hours to see if I liked it. I did.

King Crimson casts such a long shadow that it is probably unfair to draw a comparison with any new band. Yet, critics itch to draw the reference any time a young group is technically proficient, leans towards hard progressive rock and dabbles in odd time signatures. Of course, it helps if the group also cultivates predominately young male fans. You know, the ones who grew up rolling those hexagonal dice in Dungeons and Dragons (somehow Rush always got the jocks). Most recently, the band Tool has been hailed as inheritors to the throne. Granted, Tool is a great band. And yes, Lateralus is a very heavy record. But I’m still not ready to concede the coronation.

You see, Crimson did not just expand the lexicon of hard rock music. The early ‘80s incarnation of the band (its last until the same members reunited with an incredible expanded double trio line-up on 1994’s Thrak) also constructed its own form of smart avant-garde pop music. An oxymoron? Perhaps, but consider Thrak. It was not just an aural blitzkrieg. The album was compelling because it juxtaposed assaulting instrumentals with sprawling ballads like “One Time” and “Walking on Air”. And if we dig deep in the Crimson catalogue, we find other classics with unmistakably catchy hooks, like “21st Century Schizoid Man”, which, amazingly, I recently found on a list of songs at a karaoke bar (not wishing to press my luck, I stuck to the better-known pop branding of Bon Jovi’s “It’s My Life”).

So here’s my question: with technically proficient hard rock groups now abound, where is a progressive rock fan to turn for new music with that kind of melodic sensibility? One answer is the major label debut from Porcupine Tree, In Absentia. This is an impressive album that drips with Crimson’s progressive rock influence. But what sets this album apart is that Steven Wilson, the band’s frontman who wrote the songs and produced the album, was clearly set upon constructing intelligent popular music.

Take the first track, “Blackest Eyes”. The band storms out of the gate with a blistering guitar and heavy drums riffing through a sequence of tricky time signatures. But after that introduction, the tune changes gears to hit a slick even tempo acoustic groove, and Wilson’s vocals lifts an accessible tune to the chorus, where back-up harmonies shower over the catchy refrain before returning to the aggressive opening charge. And then, on the third track, “Lips of Ashes”, Wilson sprinkles his atmospheric guitar swells over a fascinating blend of Pink Floyd acoustic guitar (“Hey You”) and full harmonies akin to Crosby, Stills and Nash (“Guinnevere”). Original stuff.

But it is the fourth track, “The Sound of Muzak”, that stands out. It opens with Gavin Harrison, the band’s exceptional drummer, delivering an expert medium tempo polyrhythmic hi-hat, snare, and kick groove. Over a picked-out clean guitar riff, Wilson sings a lament over the sterile direction of music: “Soul gets squeezed / Edges get blunt / Demographic / Gives you what you want”. With the arrival of the chorus, the band settles into an even time signature. The sound lifts open with lush acoustic guitars; Colin Edwards minds the bottom with a terrifically tasteful bass line; and Wilson offers his most memorable pop chorus complete with smooth layered harmonies. In a perfect world, this would be a hit song, albeit an ironic one.

Another highlight is the ambitious “Gravity Eyelids”. Musically, this track actually reminds me of Crimson’s “One Time”. The song opens as a quasi-ballad featuring Wilson’s Belew-like vocals over a subtle industrial programmed drum track and hushed synthesizer choral voices. The feel fits the sleepy seduction of the lyrics, as the singer gently wakes his lover from her slumber. The track builds softly with keys, live drums and a deft melodic bass line right out of Tony Levin’s repertoire. And just as you think the song is coming to a close, it takes off on a furious electric guitar riff as the band carries the listener through an aggressive instrumental, symbolizing the consummation of the sleepily aroused lovers. The track ultimately returns to the soft chorus melody and opening drum track as the lovers return to sleep. You have to admire the thought and execution of this expansive production.

Porcupine Tree is a very good band, and In Absentia is a testament to their intelligence and musicianship. Also credit the engineer, Paul Northfield (Rush, Ozzy Osbourne, and Marilyn Manson), for the clear sonic palette, providing a platform for the tremendous live drums and full bass tone. Clocking in at over 68 minutes, the album certainly has its occasional dips and valleys, but it is a complete musical statement worth hearing. You just might find this trio to be three of a perfect pair.

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2015 at 09:19
Never could get into Porky's Tree. Voted Ozrics.
Magma America Great Make Again
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2015 at 09:21
I'll sit on this one.. I like the PT album better.. but if close.. I'll give the vote to the Ozrics for the overall sake of the tournament haha.  We do love underdogs...
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Pastmaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2015 at 09:59
The Ozrics, space rock doesn't get much more perfect then that. Big smile
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2015 at 10:01
Hawkwind man...  perhaps that is why i never got into the Ozrics..  there is Space Rock and its name IS Hawkwind.. anything else is just a pale immitation hahaha
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2015 at 10:04
Like both a lot but Ozrics are more likely to need the help
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2015 at 10:05
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Hawkwind man...  perhaps that is why i never got into the Ozrics..  there is Space Rock and its name IS Hawkwind.. anything else is just a pale immitation hahaha

Hawkwind's great too, I guess the Ozrics just fit my love of both space rock and electronic music. LOL
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2015 at 17:07
I got the error for the first time, but chalk up another (suprising) vote for Porcupine Tree.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2015 at 17:31
Porcupine Tree - their finest hour.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2015 at 19:45
How could I vote against the Ozark Hillbilly Tentacles ??
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2015 at 19:58
In Absentia because it works for all ocassions. It's the black dress of prog.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2015 at 20:13
Ozric Tentacles
progmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2015 at 23:58
Love the wizards with Oz, but in this case have to go with the other Treemendous selection offered here.
PROGMATIC
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2015 at 00:39
Originally posted by Nightfly Nightfly wrote:

This. PT's best by far.

I like Jurassic Shift a lot too. It was the last Ozrics album that I really enjoyed.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2015 at 01:04
Jurassic Shift
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2015 at 01:32
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Originally posted by Nightfly Nightfly wrote:

This. PT's best by far.

I like Jurassic Shift a lot too. It was the last Ozrics album that I really enjoyed.

I prefer Deadwing and FoaBP personally. Tongue
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2015 at 06:07
Ozric Cool
ole-the-first View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2015 at 07:07
Porcupine Tree without any chance for Ozric Tentacles.
This night wounds time.
The Bearded Bard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2015 at 07:31
Ozric Tentacles' Jurassic Shift
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2015 at 07:49
hmmm..   glad I've hung onto my vote LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>