Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat is "Christian Prog or CPR" ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2015 at 22:14
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

NEAL Morse uses profanity.  Doesn't preclude one from being a Christian, since, you know, English didn't exist when Paul was around.

Hello Epignosis Hug
Morse does? I did not know that! ShockedI am surprised, really.

And yes of course, the use of profanity unless it's meant in a derogative manner means nothing and shouldn't be offensive nor make you less religious Smile
more Hug
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2015 at 22:15

NEAL Morse uses profanity.  Doesn't preclude one from being a Christian, since, you know, English didn't exist when Paul was around.

Hello Epignosis Hug

You don't give a sh*t about anything.

Well f**k YOU.

++++

That's from "The Water," but Morse using profanity before he converted doesn't rule out the point: English didn't exist 2,000 years ago, so "profanity" as we know it can't be sinful as they knew sin.  It's a linguistic and cultural thing.  Phonemes are not evil.
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2015 at 22:16
Hugs from Africans are evil though.  Shocked
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2015 at 22:21

Hello Epignosis Hug

You don't give a sh*t about anything.

Well f**k YOU.

++++

That's from "The Water," but Morse using profanity before he converted doesn't rule out the point: English didn't exist 2,000 years ago, so "profanity" as we know it can't be sinful as they knew sin.  It's a linguistic and cultural thing.  Phonemes are not evil.

Yes .... YES... YESSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!! F**k you too!!!!
hahaha that's from Coming to America ;) the movie hahaha LOL
Hug
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2015 at 22:23

Yes, we are very devilish and we live in mud huts while elephants roam our streets LOL
I am huggable tho' and don't always bite, I promise Confused
Hug

Edited by Kati - September 01 2015 at 22:27
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2015 at 22:26
All right, all right, damn you.

Hug
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2015 at 22:30

All right, all right, damn you.

Hug
hahahahaha!!!! now I can't stop laughing hahahaha! You're so funny haha~!! LOL 
Aww Hug
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2015 at 22:34
btw is this track Christian or not? It's obviously based on a well-known Christian song, changed a little bit. Wink
progresssaurus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2015 at 00:24

From old "religion disputation" on ProgArchives OuchLOL

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=78339&PN=1

Originally posted by toroddfuglesteg toroddfuglesteg wrote:

I got in touch with them and Randy George from CPR (and Ajalon) answered my questions.
(...)
CPR is based on the idea that there is a divide between the secular and the christian progressive rock scene. What is this divide ?
Mainly the divide is the same between believers and non-believers. It's the same with religions and churches vs the rest of the unchurched society.

Originally posted by ozzy_tom ozzy_tom wrote:

I'm a Christian so I rather enjoy lyrics connected with this religion (Salamander, Glass Hammer, Akacia, Neal Morse etc.). However some of them (especially Neal Morse) like to attack Catholicism ("Sola Scriptura") what is really dumb and some Catolics seem to be quite angry on him and stopped listening to his music becasue of this.

Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2015 at 03:25
Originally posted by progresssaurus progresssaurus wrote:

From old "religion disputation" on ProgArchives OuchLOL

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=78339&PN=1

Originally posted by toroddfuglesteg toroddfuglesteg wrote:

I got in touch with them and Randy George from CPR (and Ajalon) answered my questions.
(...)
CPR is based on the idea that there is a divide between the secular and the christian progressive rock scene. What is this divide ?
Mainly the divide is the same between believers and non-believers. It's the same with religions and churches vs the rest of the unchurched society.

Originally posted by ozzy_tom ozzy_tom wrote:

I'm a Christian so I rather enjoy lyrics connected with this religion (Salamander, Glass Hammer, Akacia, Neal Morse etc.). However some of them (especially Neal Morse) like to attack Catholicism ("Sola Scriptura") what is really dumb and some Catolics seem to be quite angry on him and stopped listening to his music becasue of this.

Hello Progresssaurus (great name btw)
Now I am even more confused Confused as to what might or not be.
hugs Hug
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2015 at 04:04
IMO Neal Morse can't make a genre (as everyone) with Content of Lyrics. We talk about music not about lyrics. This (examples like Neal Morse etc) show me genre called Christian Prog doesn't exist !! Neal Morse can "Publish" his lyrics as a book for his Christian fans. Vocal and lyrics is small part (IMO) of Progressive Rock music and we already talked about that . 

uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2015 at 04:23
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

Originally posted by uduwudu uduwudu wrote:

Christian themed music turns up in the weirdest of places. Sabbath's After Forever is very much so. But as the message come from the arbiters of Satan (... Sabbath...) then they refuse to listen. I know, I tried to tell a Christian once about this and was give "I refuse to listen".

Well, what God wants god gets.

I suppose if you play christian music backwards you get messages from god rather than the devil.

No, in the best case-situation just an angel speaking in tongues LOL (worst case: a fallen angel). But I have read enough in the Bible during the last 30 years to believe that God does not practice backward masking.

Really? His disciples seemed fairly convinced. I did wonder at the lack of divine revelations when CD technology was blessed upon us. Playing those things backwards was hell on the needle.
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2015 at 04:31
to be honest I do not relate much music to religion not even lyrics with God mentioned in it like: Roger Waters - What God Wants, Pt. 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtq1_peTXbw
Amazing Grace too for instance makes me feel emotional yet I still not necessary think of Church when I hear that song. xxxxx
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2015 at 05:07

Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

Christian themed music turns up in the weirdest of places. Sabbath's After Forever is very much so. But as the message come from the arbiters of Satan (... Sabbath...) then they refuse to listen. I know, I tried to tell a Christian once about this and was give "I refuse to listen".

Well, what God wants god gets.

I suppose if you play christian music backwards you get messages from god rather than the devil.

No, in the best case-situation just an angel speaking in tongues LOL (worst case: a fallen angel). But I have read enough in the Bible during the last 30 years to believe that God does not practice backward masking.

Really? His disciples seemed fairly convinced. I did wonder at the lack of divine revelations when CD technology was blessed upon us. Playing those things backwards was hell on the needle.

LOL. I did not manage to let a CD player spin in reverse yet. So the laser fails not less than the needle. However, a needle can do more damage, as Neil Young stated 13 years before the launching of the first CD player (Confused). But if there are divine revelations, they may be laid bare in an easy way with a freeware sound program called Audacity. I use this for uploading sermons and services on the internet. And if any preacher dares to accuse non-Christian musicians of intentional implementation of messages, I'll put his sermon on the internet in reverse Evil Smile.

Edited by someone_else - September 02 2015 at 05:11
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2015 at 05:29
Back to question: What is "Christian Prog or CPR"?

CPR is not genre (for me personally LOL), but it is strange combination of progressive music and nonprogressive lyrics (Christian oriented here, although some playing only with Christian symbols and themes not fits, must to be deadly serious intended)

Junges View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2015 at 08:10
What are non-progressive lyrics? As far as I know, you can write lyrics about whatever you want and still be progressive rock.

Edited by Junges - September 02 2015 at 08:12
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2015 at 08:17
Originally posted by Junges Junges wrote:

What is non-progressive lyrics?

Lyrics intentionally stagnant in unchangeable orthodoxy for example.

I see, that my "definition" is silly, it is joke only - for me is not important take phenomen CPR as drama in prog-rock scene Smile
CosmicVibration View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2015 at 09:17
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

There are sooooo many "religious" lyrics, in not just christian music but in rock in general, why is it such big deal. Are people afraid they're being subjected to subterfuge and may inadvertently be turned into...GASP, a christian? Who care what the influence is for lyrics anyway. If the song is good it's good. Is ELP's version of Jerusalem not to be listened to because it's religious? (insert snide comments about why you don't listen to ELP here). But really, some religious lyrics are sappy and that detracts from the song, others are intelligent and enhance the song. I don't believe you can really generalize on christian or religious themes. 

Well, I would say in general there is something suffocating about overtly religious content (for the non religious listener).  It depends on whether the religion in question in the music is the same as your religion or not.  My all time favourite musician ever, Ilayaraja, did a whole album of hymns in praise of Lord Shiva fused with Western classical music, including operatic vocals and heavily symphonic orchestration.  I could APPRECIATE the album from a distance but never fell in love with it.  I am Hindu only by birth and certainly not a devout one.  I find it more inspiring when Stevie Wonder talks about how leaves turn to brown when autumn comes around (as a blind man he can't actually see that) than about God this and God that (Fulfillingness first finale).  I respect that it works for people who are religious but I personally find that kind of music suffocating.

This sounds very intriguing to me, what is the name of the cd?

Exceptional music coupled with thought provoking cosmic lyrics can be transcendental for me.  This is why I adore Close to the Edge.

Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2015 at 10:03

Good one!
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2015 at 10:54

btw is this track Christian or not? It's obviously based on a well-known Christian song, changed a little bit. Wink

"“It’s, as I say, a desire to affirm my faith in life, not in some formal religious way, but with enthusiasm, with emotion” (Leonard Cohen interview, 1985).

Edited by Angelo - September 02 2015 at 10:56
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>