Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat stresses you out the most?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: Which of these stresses you out the most?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [11.76%]
4 [23.53%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
5 [29.41%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [11.76%]
2 [11.76%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [11.76%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2015 at 08:57
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Originally posted by emigre80 emigre80 wrote:

Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

note to self: do not drink tea while reading Dark Elf's posts.  Another keyboard ruined.
Ah, you need to get a cat.

My two cats, each being three-legged, cannot jump up on the desk and therefore can't lay on the keyboard.  What I therefore need is a four-legged cat. You need to make your posts more specific so all eventualities can be covered.
I get stressed by people who saw a leg off their cats just to stop them jumping on the keyboard.

Don't knock the method, it worked. Even the cats agreed that the end justified the means.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2015 at 10:11
I discovered on Saturday that strange instrument-panel warning lights that inexplicably come on while I'm driving stress me out just a tad. 

A few weeks ago I bought a second-hand car. The make and model is immaterial, it's a rag-top, it's silver, it has an engine with six things that go bang and four wheels that make it move along the road, and apparently owning this particular brand of automobile makes me "a bit of a knob" from the perspective of other road users even though my driving style and road-manners haven't changed one iota since I took ownership - I had my eyes open when I bought it so this comes as no surprise, I freely admit that I was wary of buying said motorcar because of the negative connotation it has with other road users, and even when driving it off the forecourt on a test drive I had convinced myself that I hated it, yet within a few minutes driving I had turned that conviction on its head and handed over my hard-earned money without too much further thought of what other drivers would think of me...

My previous car was equipped with all the modern computer-controlled gizmos and automatic driving aids and I presumed that I'd be familiar enough with this one, so having learnt which buttons made the roof go up and down, and which ones moved the seat back and forward, I threw the driver's manual into the glove box and drove the car away, as pleased as punch with my new purchase.

Anyway, on Sunday we drove to Buckinghamshire (just north of Oxford) to visit a country house that was hosting a chilli festival, and much fun we had there sampling the chilli sauces with saucy names, like Bumburner and the like. After that we had a pleasant afternoon tea in the country house in the presence of my daughter and her new husband, and my sister-in-law and her old husband. All told it was a nice day-out.

During the 100 mile journey home darkness fell and at one point the glare from headlights of the oncoming traffic was starting to give me a headache so I asked my wife to pass me my the orange-tinted night-driving glasses that I occasionally wear to alleviate the adverse effect of modern dichroic lights just as we got caught up in a slow line of traffic on a narrow winding country road. Knowing that there was a hill approaching with a very short stretch of dual carriageway to allow people to pass lorries and other snail-like vehicles, I prepared to pull-out and gun my way past them. Needless to say the car behind had the same idea and he tagged on behind me as we ripped our way to the front of the queue at break-neck speed, however, he was driving closer to my arse than would have I liked so as soon as I got clear road ahead of me I pulled over to let him pass... alas the dual carriageway ended before he had chance to get by and he had to tuck in behind me. Knowing that I could probably negotiate the next stretch of road at speed without pissing him off too much I settled in to driving with him in tow. 

It was at that very moment in time that this strange warning light appeared on the dashboard's instrument display... a triangular emblem with an exclamation mark (!) within... I calmly cocked a quizzical brow at this sudden illumination in amber... and began to reduce my speed... much to the annoyance of the car behind who seemed to think this was a deliberate act of retaliation so he started tailgating me. But even after slowing, the lamp remained lit... "What does that mean?" I asked of my wife, who had access to the glove box... she shrugged... so, not quite as calmly as before, I cocked another quizzical brow, this time in her direction, and then nodded towards the glove box while keeping a look-out for a suitable place to pull over... I may have uttered some harsh words... She fumbled angrily around in the compartment, scattering Psych Rock and Prog CDs every which way as she reached for the manual. Through the stereo system The Byrds insisted we were eight miles high, I was quietly confident we were not, I stabbed at the volume (-) button and they faded into the background...

In the dark, reading by the light from the opened storage compartment, she announced that it was a breaking system failure and I should 'avoid any harsh braking'... on hearing this I could feel the panic monkey starting to climb onto my shoulder... The car behind was growing increasingly impatient at my seemingly unwarranted decrease in speed and that was beginning to stress me a little... I switched on the hazard lights... adding to the "knob-quotient" I was undoubtedly gaining with the other driver, who flashed his lights at me... I switched the hazards off but slowed a touch more and continued peering into the darkness for the next available pull-in...  hoping that I would see one in enough time to avoid any harsh braking... then sped up a little to put some distance between the tailgater and myself, and then slowed down again (yeah, I was driving a bit like a knob by that stage, such is the effect of stress). "What does ASC mean?" she mumbled frantically leafing through the booklet... 

Bollocks. I swore. 

Automatic Stability Control...

I looked down at the ASC button on the centre console and swore again. It had been pressed, no doubt by my wife as she tried to open the sunglasses storage tray just above it. I pressed it and the light on the dash went out. I swore for the final time, cogged it down a gear and buried the accelerator into the plush German carpet, leaving the car behind in my dust. Nothing releases stress in me more than driving like a bandit in a car that corners like it is running on rails.Evil Smile

Edited by Dean - September 07 2015 at 13:01
What?
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2015 at 11:06
^ You bought a BMW and you're looking for sympathy?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2015 at 13:07

^ You bought a BMW and you're looking for sympathy?
Hell no, even after owning it for just less than a month I'm well aware that's the last thing I should go looking for. LOL
What?
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2015 at 13:41
I had a mysterious warning light come on the other day while driving. Fortunately, I was about 1/2 mile from the dealer, so just pulled in and asked "What the hell is that about?"  One of my headlights burnt out, that's all. I had a few words to say about the idiocy of scaring a driver over something that trivial, but the service guy took it in stride.

A VW, btw, as proof that you can drive a German car without being any kind of knob.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2015 at 13:50
^ never heard of anything like that before LOL 
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2015 at 13:52

I had a mysterious warning light come on the other day while driving. Fortunately, I was about 1/2 mile from the dealer, so just pulled in and asked "What the hell is that about?"  One of my headlights burnt out, that's all. I had a few words to say about the idiocy of scaring a driver over something that trivial, but the service guy took it in stride.

A VW, btw, as proof that you can drive a German car without being any kind of knob.
I've owned two VW's, so I'm well aware that the German for "knob" is GTI Wink
What?
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2015 at 13:56
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Yeah, VWs have so many warning lights it's impossible to learn them all, so you find yourself sailing down the road while something mysterious flashes at you, and there's no way of telling whether your engine is about to explode or the back seat needs adjusting.  Germanic thoroughness does tend to induce unnecessary panic.  Unhappy
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2015 at 13:58
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

I've owned two VW's, so I'm well aware that the German for "knob" is GTI Wink

Hmm, not much gets past you. However, mine's a Tiguan.LOL
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2015 at 13:58

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Yeah, VWs have so many warning lights it's impossible to learn them all, so you find yourself sailing down the road while something mysterious flashes at you, and there's no way of telling whether your engine is about to explode or the back seat needs adjusting.  Germanic thoroughness does tend to induce unnecessary panic.  Unhappy
I had a '72 Bug once. The heat only worked in the summer.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2015 at 14:28
^ as I remember Bugs, that was pretty standard behavior.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2015 at 14:34

^ as I remember Bugs, that was pretty standard behavior.
I recall vividly driving to school in midwinter Michigan with an ankle-length wool navy P-coat, a horse blanket and in one hand an ice scraper for the inside of the windshield. In retrospect, I am amazed at my patience. Or at least, the patience I once had....BEFORE THAT F*CKING VW BURNT IT OUT OF ME!
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2015 at 14:46
Mine's very well-behaved, except for the f*cking exorbitant maintenance costs.  Those piss me off no end.
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2015 at 14:55
My Toyota Tacoma informs me that the book sitting in the passenger seat is not wearing a seatbelt. It is a 1996 with 190,000 miles. You would have thought it would have given up on warnings long ago.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2015 at 14:56
That's why I drive 90s Hondas.  Never had car-related stress in my life (except for the time my car got stolen)

One of my high-beams is burnt out and the car is completely unaware of that

Edited by Triceratopsoil - September 07 2015 at 14:56
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2015 at 14:58
one eyed Hondas are the best, especially dumb ones

Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2015 at 15:05
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

That's why I drive 90s Hondas.  Never had car-related stress in my life (except for the time my car got stolen)

One of my high-beams is burnt out and the car is completely unaware of that

I'm with ya man.  Since I started driving Acuras and Hondas in 1995 I know longer have stress about vehicles.  Given, I trade them in pretty often but still, compared to others at work who also drive other makers newer cars, I still have less problems than they do.  Hondas are boring as hell but good commuters if you don't want to deal with car sh*t. 

emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2015 at 15:07
Had a Honda a long time ago.  My commute is too long to be that bored ever again.
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2015 at 15:08
From '67 until '73 I drove a '65 VW Bug and it was probably the most 
reliable car I've ever owned.

When I retired in '06 I bought a new Chrysler 300 C with all the fancy stuff.
It was a great car for five years but when little things started going wrong
the repairs were too expensive.
That will be my last experience with a high class car.
It's just not worth it in the long run.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2015 at 15:16
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Hondas are boring as hell but good commuters if you don't want to deal with car sh*t. 

I don't find my '92 Prelude boring
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>